Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The wild "coin flip" recruiting story on how Herschel Walker chose UGA

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited July 2019 in Article commenting

imageThe wild "coin flip" recruiting story on how Herschel Walker chose UGA

How did SEC all-time legend Herschel Walker wind up choosing Georgia? Take a seat and grab a few minutes to read this one today. You will feel lucky that you did.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Obviously in 1980 the lord clearly knew UGA was the place the End Zone Stalker should tote the ball.

• Options
    EvilSamPittmanEvilSamPittman Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe sometimes Herschel can tell some whopper stories.

• Options
    CrawforDawgCrawforDawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Yes, I too believe Mr. Walker can tell some whopper stories.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I fully believe the story. God speaks to those who believe and who need an answer. And, on that day God blessed Herschel Walker and the University of Georgia...

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Herschel would be an awesome rb recruiter for UGA

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was at UGA when Herschel signed and I remember hearing the story then about the coin flip and his interest in going to the military. I didn't know that he did another coin flip involving USC, though. But Clemson wanted him badly, although I just assumed at the time that he was going to come to Georgia. I don't recall it being like it is now where you're on pins and needles as these guys decide. Man, had he gone there, Clemson might have been national champions like three years in a row. Guess they have gotten us back in spades with the likes of Homer Jordan, DeShaun Watson and now, Trevor Lawrence.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was a High School teammate with Homer at Cedar Shoals, right in UGA's own backyard, Clemson saw his talent, UGA said he was too small lol. UGA did sign another teammate from the 1978 Cedar Shoals team..the late, great Jimmy Payne, RIP old friend. Clemson getting Georgia HS players didn't just start recently..Homer was signed after graduating in 1979. UGA will always be In competition with Clemson for recruits, 3 National Championships, and all 3 led by a Georgia HS QB