Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason on Kirby Smart: 'He's like a brother'

SystemSystem Posts: 11,060 admin
edited July 2019 in Article commenting

imageVanderbilt coach Derek Mason on Kirby Smart: 'He's like a brother'

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart made a new friend this summer in Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason, who considers him "like a brother"

Read the full story here

Comments

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2019

Coach Mason is a very likeable person.. I thought Vandy might drop even farther after they lost their HC to Pedo State, but Coach Mason has done a tremendous job considering Vandy rarely has a top 30 recruiting class. I'd say he does more with less than the clown now at uf..GoDAWGS!

• bull68dawgbull68dawg Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve always thought Coach Mason was a class act and obviously Kirby does too. Nice article

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mason is one of my favorite coaches in the SEC. Seems like he really cares about his players and doing a good job.

Class act. I can see how him and Kirby would hit it off.

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, football is important to fans in hopes of our team chasing and winning championships. That makes for a lot of fun in a season. These young men growing into responsible men contributing to society and raising good families is what is most important. Two good coaches/role models! Go Dawgs!

• Rusty69Rusty69 Posts: 67 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited July 2019

vandy and their HC are both class acts

• JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm guessing he and the head (fillintheblank) down south didn't do a lot of bonding on that trip, after last season's festivities. Coach Mason is an excellent coach and a better man. Go Dawgs!

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mason has done something Mullen hasn't been able to do.. Beat UGA with Kirby as Head Coach.. Nice article on a good man!

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mason is a "do more with less" type coach. Just like Mullen, who led the hated Gators to a remarkable turn around season in '18. Kirby hasn't shown that ability as of yet. Actually, Kirby showed twice last season that he couldn't make adjustments that mattered, when losing to two inferior teams.

In that pathetic Sugar Bowl, I just knew Kirby would have channelled that resentment and disappointment of missing the CFP, and led his troops to a rout of Texas. Games like that one, and the LSU game makes one wonder if Kirby can take even a ultra-talented team to a National Title.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,138 mod

If Kirby can't, sounds like you would be a great candidate to replace him....coach.

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've liked Mason after hearing him speak a couple yrs ago, he is a very sharp guy who you'd love to have on your staff or as your coach. I think he should bail after this season and go to the PAC 12 or ACC where he could thrive.

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, Kirby only did in year two (as a head coach no less) what most staffs can’t do in five, if ever. I’ll be watching those hated Gators this year closely. Something tells me Mullen’s alligator mouth may have overloaded his...... Well, we all know the rest. Go Dawgs!