Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Season changes

NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is there one thing that you would change about the cfb season other than the playoff system? IE: getting rid of divisions in football would be mine.

Comments

• Options

I was thinking something similar. There are tiers in sec but I think it would be cool for teams to play within the division and and have a first and second place to qualify for the playoffs and then both teams play in.

• Options
    UGAJ0EUGAJ0E Posts: 240 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I like that.

If that were to happen hypothetically who would be Georgia's three? Obviously Florida and Auburn would be two but who gets the third? Tennessee and South Carolina seem obvious but someone has to play Vandy/Kentucky/Arkansas/Mizzou.

USC or Kentucky would be my third every year team.

• Options
    NoahSewellFanClubNoahSewellFanClub Posts: 593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry, maybe I'm just clueless but what's the point? What's wrong with the divisions? Are we upset that we haven't played Arkansas?

• Options
    edited August 2019

I think playing Arkansas and going to Little Rock more often is a little more exciting than going to Columbia,Missouri or playing at Vandy every other year.

EDIT: I gotta stress the word "little" here. It's not like I'm begging for Arkansas games, but I think a little more variety adds interest for sure.

• Options
    UWGDawgUWGDawg Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGAJ0E the article has FU, Barn & USCjr just because UTjr has Bama, FU, & Vandy

@NoahSewellFanClub I think it’s ridiculous that we only play bama every 7 years in the regular season and only go to BDS every 14 seasons.

• Options

I guess that's fair. I've never really cared about who we play to be completely honest

• Options

TAMU entered the SEC in 2011 I believe? And we're playing them for the first time in 2019, but don't go to College Station until 2024. SEC teams need to play each other much more frequently than they do. We won't have another crack at a win in Death Valley until possibly 2032 if the scheduling remains the same.

• Options

I guess I'm still a little confused, do you care? because you'd like to visit other places? Or because you'd like more variety? Or what? I have always held the perspective that the schedule makers do their job and the teams' job is to win the games their given. I'm still not sure why this effects us

• Options
    benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

I do care to visit more places, but I also care about recruiting. The SEC sells itself already, but tell a kid that you're replacing next season's Mizzou and Vandy games with LSU and Bama. These kids want to play in bigtime games year in and year out. It just puts us into the spotlight more often.

I know it doesn't help us when recruiting vs other SEC teams, but imagine showing that schedule to a recruit who is choosing between us and Clempsun

• Options
    edited August 2019

Theres a nice article on DawgNation today about the cost of Notre Dame tickets basically skewing the cost of Georgia games this year.

Why do you think that's the case? 🤔🤔

• Options

I get your point @NoahSewellFanClub and I agree with what you said. But we are neither the schedulers nor the team. It's pretty obvious that the fans care about who we play.

But keep in mind I don't think anyone is begging for this change. It's just a nice hypothetical that will not happen anytime soon.

• Options

I understand, I didn't mean for my questions to invalidate anyone's wishes! Just honestly curious, I've never given any thought into changing from divisions or even who we play other than ramping up OOC schedule.

• Options

I think that change can be bad but also good. Playing high profile games is important for the program but play the same teams year in year out gets kind of boring. Yes, playing Kentucky and South Carolina is fun because we dominate them but bring in a few new teams that we don’t play every year. Rotating within the sec would bring more exposure to the conference benefiting everyone.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If your main worry is playing other SEC West foes more often, then just support the 9 game conference schedule. Problem solved. Determining the 3 permanent rivals could get interesting. UF, AU, and SC, so we are no longer playing UTk every year? Losing a yearly rival wouldn't be that great (and we'd probably lose our "Volnation Gold" thread. Who wants that?).

Also, some teams are likely to draw tougher permanent opponents, which doesn't seem all that great to me. The 9 game conference schedule fixes the issue of getting to play SEC West schools more often.

• Options
    NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2019

I'm against the 9 game SEC schedule purely because this limits OOC. We'd be locked into 10 games with wiggle room for 2 each season, one of which would likely be a cupcake, making it pretty tough to schedule interesting home and homes with one open game each year. Not saying it can't be done, but I like what Kirby & Co are doing now and would much rather see a Texas , UCLA, Oregon, or FSU thrown on than play Arkansas, Ole Miss, or MSU more frequently.

As far as why it matters, I may be in the minority here, but I look forward to the out of state games. ND and the Rose Bowl were great in 2017. Last year was a bit rough, but I'd never been to Columbia (MO), so I did the STL alumni bus in. Looking forward to Nashville and New Orleans this year. Long rant, but I like variety on my one or two yearly trips.

ETA: Removed comment about 16 teams. Looks like that SBNation article was different than others I'd seen.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GT, cupcake, and the third OOC game is your Texas, UCLA, Oregon, etc. A few years they have several quality OOC opponents, so those would have to be rescheduled or no cupcakes that year. I get what you’re saying though, only one open week to get schedules to matchup with a quality opponent.