Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

College Football Playoff Committee quandary: Legendary BCS founder Roy Kramer weighs in

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited August 2019 in Article commenting

imageCollege Football Playoff Committee quandary: Legendary BCS founder Roy Kramer weighs in

College football currently uses a committee with active ADs deciding which teams should get into its four-team playoff, and that has led to controversies including the 2018 Georgia team

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The reason for a playoff is because of the controversy of the BCS. Two loss LSU national champs? The same year the SEC champs (UGA) didn't make the NCG! Bama vs. LSU II for the NC when Bama vs. LSU I had taken place only weeks earlier? A playoff committee is the second worst way of chosing teams to compete for the NC. Kramer's BCS was the worst!

• Options
    Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not to be picky, but LSU was the SEC champ. We didn't get our chance in the SEC title game by losing inexplicably at home to South Carolina and then getting thrashed by Tennessee in Knoxville.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If they expand it to eight, then people will want it expanded to 16, then 32 then like basketball 64. Leave it alone, it's not perfect, but it never will be.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The problem is having Ads on the committee.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m still in favor of an eight team playoff. I know, there will be fans of the number 9 team complaining. My thoughts are if you’re not in the top 5 or 6 you’re probably not going to advance to the NC anyway. It can possibly happen but I believe it would be very seldom. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Some team or teams will always howl (Central Florida in 2017) but 8 teams gives twice the chance that at least the best 4 will be included. No system will be universally loved or agreed with (see basketballs 65th team comments) but using the excuse that expansion will "cheapen" the regular season doesn't hold water, see the FCS playoff system. Cut the crap and expand!

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

Best article I have read in some time. Good job @MikeGriffith You reported fact, opinions and reasoning leaving the reader to formulate his'/her's own opinion.

• Options
    Rusty69Rusty69 Posts: 67 ✭✭ Sophomore

Even with the bcs there is human error involved. 2016 is my proof. Bama should have NEVER made the playoffs because they didn’t win their division or conference.

• Options
    DawgForLifeDawgForLife Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman

I agree especially the part of the article where the regular season could get diminished over time with too much post season expansion. That is a scenario that is very possible. As argumentative as all this can be it is the season and every game counts feeling that makes college football feel like a playoff all year. This is an absolute main ingredient that sets itself apart from the NFL.

Since we are now committed to a playoff I'd prefer the 8 team setup but no more than that. Ever. I believe if it goes past that then the above scenario becomes reality. The math doesn't work when you have 5 power conferences. A conference champ should go. Thats 5 right there that don't warrant a discussion. The three at large picks will be the debate. Drop one handout game from the season.

IMO, anybody thinking of pushing a playoff to anymore than 8 really needs to think about that. It is not like these mistakes even though good intentioned has not happened before with getting too big. Overreaching under the disguise of making it better.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the playoff format is the single, worst advent, in at least modern history, for college football.

The BCS was probably the closest formula to fairly matching the best and most deserving teams for a championship that we'll see.

The playoffs' biggest problem isn't human bias. It is determining the first team left out. In the BCS, we took the top two teams. The qualifying distinctions between the number 2 and number 3 teams (BCS) will always be more identifiable than the distinction between the number 4 and number 5 teams (playoffs). It is simple math, really: the nearer the top, the clearer the choice and vice versa. If the playoffs expand to, say, 16 teams (for the sake of the point), I do not believe that any two people will agree on which would be the first team left out . . . because the qualifying distinctions between number 16 and number 17 will be so insignificant as to be unrecognizable.

Last year is the perfect example. The top 2 teams were clearly Bama (pinch my nose) and Clemson (also pinching). Notre Dame, Oklahoma, UGA and maybe even a couple others A, were not in the same league as the top 2 and, B, were not clearly distinguished from each other. Expansion of the playoffs only exacerbates this problem AND removes almost all importance from the regular season.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Athletic director's from Georgia Tech, Florida, Oklahoma and Ohio St walked into a room and started deciding who was more deserving between Georgia, Oklahoma and Ohio St.

Yeah, Georgia was screwed before those four even walked through the door...

• Options
    Texas_DawgTexas_Dawg Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman
    edited August 2019

We all know Auburn & Florida voted against UGA last year but that's water under the bridge now! What the system needs is similar to the NFL. Make the system 6 teams; teams ranked 1 & 2 get a bye week while Teams ranked 3 & 6 play each other and Teams ranked 4 & 5 play each other. The Lowest seed plays the Number 1 team and the other plays the number 2 team. Then the winner of those games play for the chip! Easy!

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'd actually like to know the four teams the BCS formulae would have put in the playoffs in each of the past seasons. If Kramer's formula is so good, then use it to choose four, not two, and still have the four-team playoff. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    mattdumattdu Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

The LSU game doomed us.Plain & simple.