Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: Receivers must step up, Georgia championship hopes on the line

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited October 2019 in Article commenting

imageKirby Smart: Receivers must step up, Georgia championship hopes on the line

ATHENS —  “If you give Georgia the opportunity to run the football, you have no  chance to win the game.” Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said it on Sept. 21. Every team on the Bulldogs schedule heard it, watched it for themselves and have been scheming it. “The game plan was set that they were going to have some

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

The offensive coaches need to teach the receivers how to gain separation from the defenders. The Notre Dame coach has stated that UGA’s receivers run simple routes. The coaches need to fix this if they know how

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would also add that they need to get the TE's more involved in the passing game as well. Wolf has shown great promise as a pass catcher but he only has 9 receptions in 6 games (4 of those for 74 yds vs Murray St and 0 catches against USCjr). He is a strong, big body guy that can be the 3rd down receiver to replace Cager until he gets healthy again. Problem is that Fromm seems to always be looking to the sideline for the quick out or the back shoulder throw and rarely sees the wide open receiver in the middle of the field.

Also, I feel like Kearis Jackson was poised to have a great season until he got injured in the first game (which was a total screw job at Vandy, btw). He was also a highly rated recruit and has the speed and size to get open.

We need to get both of these guys in the rotation more. I am sorry but Landers and Simmons (bad shoulder, bad hands) need to sit down.

• Options
    Billybob101Billybob101 Posts: 127 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let's also face that there were some big recruiting misses and several guys just haven't developed into even solid SEC players, much less stars. For all the talk about press coverage, it looked like on the 22 man camera replays that SC may have been in man, but they were often playing very soft. But it looked like we were always calling very slowly developing pass plays down field, which didn't help the o-line with protection. I agree with those asking (as always) what about the tight ends?

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nothing over the middle.  No slants.  The Carolina linebackers had a field day.  If Fromm went back, it was going to the sideline.  Therefore, the backers could just tee off on pass plays of stuff the run.  They never had to worry about getting burned.  Why was tigh end or slot receiver never dragged across the middle behind the backers?  There was not one screen pass, that I can remember.  There was not one toss sweep to get the RB out in space.  OC and receivers coaches have a lot of work to do. 

• Options
    nycdawgnycdawg Posts: 883 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2019

Exactly!

I'm sick and tired of CKS throwing his players under the bus. He doesn't have a clue. If he doesnt stop with this crap, the recruits will NOT come to Georgia.

Hey Kirby- How about the fact that you can't coach and all you do is yell and scream on the sidelines. I'm starting to think this is all a mask to hide his own deficiencies.

Guys- we have a major problem with our coaching staff.

• Options
    DDubDDub Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fromm was making up his mind where to throw the ball before the was snapped half the time. After re-watching the game I found 13 instances where a receiver was open before Fromm threw the ball but he didn't throw it to the open receiver. Fromm just didn't see them. This loss is on the players, specifically the O-Line and Fromm!

• Options
    FredBearFredBear Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2019

I see Smart, aka discount Captain Kangaroo bowl cut, is still throwing his players under the bus and taking no responsibility whatsoever for the poor coaching staff he has put together.

So it's the recievers fault that the staff calls running plays into the middle of 9 man fronts? This team may well implode with the lack of awareness and responsibility the HC is showing

#notmycoach

• Options
    meansonnymeansonny Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

We passed to Wolf 6 times on Saturday with 0 completions. We passed to Woerner 2 times with 0 completions.

People are over-reacting to the playcalling and under-appreciating that this team is not playing with attention to detail. That is a failure of the coaches and team leadership. What everyone wants to see more of may not work next week. Or may not work the week after. Hell. Going for 4th down instead of punting may have cost us the game. Playing to win actually may have made is lose (South Carolina kicked a 49 yarder after the turnover on downs. Even a 19 yard punt may have kept them out of field goal range and kept us up on the scoreboard at the end of regulation).

There is too much complaining about playcalling when all that really matters is that plays are executed properly. It is the coaches job to see that this happens. I hope it gets fixed.