Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Is this the year?

BigDawgBrinkBigDawgBrink Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
edited July 2017 in General

What's up, DawgNation?
I have seen and heard a lot of commentary about how UGA is on the rise, but it is accompanied by a "Not this year, but next year" mentality. Why are we not totally in agreement that this is our year? We have 18 returning starters, as deep a roster as we have had since 2012, two fantastic choices at QB, renewed upside at our positions of need from a year before (WR, OL), and arguably the best backfield and Front 7 in CFB.

So with all of this talent on the field people are calling for potential losses against Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, and Notre Dame. You're kidding me right? Stop being afraid of the hype, because we have been burned before. We have reason to be excited and reason for our expectations to be higher than they have been in quite some time, because our teams quality is better than it has been in quite some time. Going to Auburn and Tennessee is going to be tough, but we can win those games. Anything short of 10 wins this season should be a massive disappointment to us, because it will mean that we wasted the potential of some of our best Dawgs (Chubb, Sony, Zo, Quan, etc.)

What do y'all think? Am I over reacting? Are my expectations too high? Let me know.

Go Dawgs!

Comments

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawgBrink said:
    What's up, DawgNation?
    I have seen and heard a lot of commentary about how UGA is on the rise, but it is accompanied by a "Not this year, but next year" mentality. Why are we not totally in agreement that this is our year? We have 18 returning starters, as deep a roster as we have had since 2012, two fantastic choices at QB, renewed upside at our positions of need from a year before (WR, OL), and arguably the best backfield and Front 7 in CFB.

So with all of this talent on the field people are calling for potential losses against Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, and Notre Dame. You're kidding me right? Stop being afraid of the hype, because we have been burned before. We have reason to be excited and reason for our expectations to be higher than they have been in quite some time, because our teams quality is better than it has been in quite some time. Going to Auburn and Tennessee is going to be tough, but we can win those games. Anything short of 10 wins this season should be a massive disappointment to us, because it will mean that we wasted the potential of some our best Dawgs (Chubb, Sony, Zo, Quan, etc.)

What do y'all think? Am I over reacting? Are my expectations too high? Let me know.

Go Dawgs!

Well said. Is not the results for any year dependent upon talent and coaching with a little luck thrown in. What CMR and prior classes did has no bearing on 2017. It's almost like if we traded coaches and players en bloc with with Alabama they would still be #1 and UGA #13 which is totally senseless. I don't think the color of the uniforms and/or how green the grass is has anything to do with winning the SEC or Natty.

• ladawgladawg Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have us going 11-2, and making playoffs after tight one with bama... bama vs Ohio state, and uga vs. usc for playoffs.. Fsu will win acc with two or three loses, one being to bama, and another bad loss.. Oklahoma wins big 12, but with loses to Ohio state, Texas, and ok state.. that puts us in with bama, Ohio st, and USC.. sounds crazy, but I'm sticking to it based on our returning talent, experience in new systems..

• BigDawgBrinkBigDawgBrink Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Denmen185 that's an interesting thought. Excited to see whether Kirby and company decide to embrace or deflect these expectations and be able to compare that to Coach Richt.

@ladawg said:
    I have us going 11-2, and making playoffs after tight one with bama... bama vs Ohio state, and uga vs. usc for playoffs.. Fsu will win acc with two or three loses, one being to bama, and another bad loss.. Oklahoma wins big 12, but with loses to Ohio state, Texas, and ok state.. that puts us in with bama, Ohio st, and USC.. sounds crazy, but I'm sticking to it based on our returning talent, experience in new systems..

UGA vs USC in the CFB Playoff... man that would be a good day to be a dawg.

I have UGA finishing as SEC Champs 12-1. The question in my mind is does the committee take a 11-2 or 12-1 Alabama over a 12-1 UGA. I don't trust them to do the right thing as opposed to trying to justify the wrong thing for the sake of ratings.

@Denmen185 that's why we have the championship game. The SEC will be well represented in the playoff as always

@BigDawgBrink My comment was based on picking OSU over PSU who won the head-to-head and the Big 10. It's like saying that the Bucs passed the eye-test so make the play-offs over the Falcons (maybe an exaggeration but hopefully you get my point). In any other sport do not division winners make the post-season? Just hoping we get a fair chance; if we lose to Bama they deserve to go and vice versa.

@Denmen185 I'm with you completely. I think the SEC has a better way of working because our schedule is more complete. Less cupcakes, less weak in-division opponents, etc. I do find myself hoping those words don't come back to bite me though.

• RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2017

@Denmen185 said:
    I have UGA finishing as SEC Champs 12-1. The question in my mind is does the committee take a 11-2 or 12-1 Alabama over a 12-1 UGA. I don't trust them to do the right thing as opposed to trying to justify the wrong thing for the sake of ratings.

They'd have to work really hard to do that, because if UGA finishes at 12-1 as SEC champs and Bama finishes 12-1, their loss would be against us and ours would have been earlier in the season. The committee would have to justify Alabama losing to us in a nationally televised championship game (they said they value conference championships in their CFB deliberations) and still getting the nod ahead of the team who beat them. If UGA finishes at 12-1 and wins the SEC, there's no way they justify sending Bama instead.

• mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Any yr could be the yr to be honest... Nobody was picking UGA to win it all back in 1980 but look what happened. Just got to have everything bounce your way and just maybe you win it! Go Dawgs!

• jaynole81jaynole81 Posts: 153 ✭✭ Sophomore

@ladawg you are basically bringing back the same team that lost to Vandy, should have lost to Nichols state, Mizzou and got blown out by a horrible gators team and you have them in the playoffs! Look at Bama, USC, Ohio State and Penn state are returning and did last season. I Can see them in the Playoffs but UGA! What instant impact players did they add? Kept the same OC, bringing back the same Oline with some freshman, same WRs (no match up nightmare except at TE). How about start by beating UF. Bama is loaded, Ohio loaded, USC loaded, Penn state loaded, UGA is WIP

@jaynole81 said:
    @ladawg you are basically bringing back the same team that lost to Vandy, should have lost to Nichols state, Mizzou and got blown out by a horrible gators team and you have them in the playoffs! Look at Bama, USC, Ohio State and Penn state are returning and did last season. I Can see them in the Playoffs but UGA! What instant impact players did they add? Kept the same OC, bringing back the same Oline with some freshman, same WRs (no match up nightmare except at TE). How about start by beating UF. Bama is loaded, Ohio loaded, USC loaded, Penn state loaded, UGA is WIP

At last, some negativity. Ohio State is the most complete team coming back this season for sure. As far as Georgia goes I think that the 2nd year in the system all around is going to do wonders for the program, especially Jacob Eason. Even though they are Freshman and lower classmen the upside for our receivers and O-Line is going to be higher this year. We had a line full of guards last year, that certainly will not be the case for the future of UGA

@BigDawgBrink so you expect guys who have never played a snap in college come in and start and dominate in a conference built on the trenches. At WR I don't see a true #1 maybe one will show up. On the plus side the schedule paves the way for UGA to have a good schedule, dont play any of the big dogs in the west. That being said UGA didn't play any big dogs from the west last year and didnt win the East.

edited July 2017

@jaynole81 said:
    @BigDawgBrink so you expect guys who have never played a snap in college come in and start and dominate in a conference built on the trenches. At WR I don't see a true #1 maybe one will show up. On the plus side the schedule paves the way for UGA to have a good schedule, dont play any of the big dogs in the west. That being said UGA didn't play any big dogs from the west last year and didnt win the East.

West division of the SEC or anyone in the PAC 12? We play Auburn every year and we have beat them for the last 3 years. if they aren't a big dawg then neither is LSU and you are only talking about Alabama. As far as the PAC 12 goes... who cares? They don't even play defense that far west. Also I never said they would dominate, but they are going to be better than they were a year before. Plenty of good Redshirt freshman, true freshman big bodies, and sophomores to add to the fold, not to mention we kept our best lineman from last yr in Wynn. Last year was a year where all but one loss (where no one from our squad showed up) was by one score. I simply believe Georgia is going to be much improved. I appreciate your opinion though

• mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hope Chaney realizes that every team is going to play Georgia to stop the run and will continue until they prove they can throw the ball. How many of you watched the games last and could call Chaney's plays? Run,run,pass punt!

@mlee said:
    I hope Chaney realizes that every team is going to play Georgia to stop the run and will continue until they prove they can throw the ball. How many of you watched the games last and could call Chaney's plays? Run,run,pass punt!

Agreed. He is going to need to sharpen his strategy this year to stay off of the hot seat. Too much firepower to not score points.

• moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the year only if the planets align for us. Too many questions at OL to be that confident going in.

I feel like the OL will start peaking nex year, which is unfortunately after Chubb, Michel, and many defensive veterans will be gone. Yes, we're recruiting well. But I recall some people last year all hyped up that Ben Cleveland would come in and take a starting spot. So let's not pin too many assumptions on unproven freshmen just yet.

Yes, we could get several impact players show out as freshmen, but we'd have to count on it to say that this is our year. I'm not ready to do that yet.

@moos said:
    This is the year only if the planets align for us. Too many questions at OL to be that confident going in.

I feel like the OL will start peaking nex year, which is unfortunately after Chubb, Michel, and many defensive veterans will be gone. Yes, we're recruiting well. But I recall some people last year all hyped up that Ben Cleveland would come in and take a starting spot. So let's not pin too many assumptions on unproven freshmen just yet.

Yes, we could get several impact players show out as freshmen, but we'd have to count on it to say that this is our year. I'm not ready to do that yet.

Good post. Cleveland redshirted though. He has all the tools to be successful, he just needs to stay healthy and keep competing. Him getting hurt this spring was a bummer. Really wanted to see him play at G-Day.

I think next season UGA will be a top 5 team if the Oline and play calling improve.I think the UF takes the east this year, don't known how MW does it but the guy can coach. Think where UF would be if their QB didnt get pinched for PEDs

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, let's put it this way...2017 needs to be a big year on the field if Kirby has any hope of Alabama-izing the program. We need it for recruiting and for gaining some momentum for the program. Will be too many new faces on the defensive side of the ball to count on the 2018 season to be the program changer. Also, if Eason doesn't take a big step up this year, little reason to think that his third year as starter would show vast improvement over year 2.

Don't like to make W/L predictions, but in order to show progress to recruits, fans, and program doubters, I think we need to win the SEC East and/or beat UF and end up in a New Years bowl.