Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football running back James Cook arrested

SystemSystem Posts: 10,446 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football running back James Cook arrested

According to the Athens-Clarke County jail logs, Georgia running back James Cook was arrested on two misdemeanor charges on Saturday morning. Cook was arrested on one count of driving with an open container of alcoholic beverage in the passenger area and one count of having an invalid driver's license. Bond for each

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This will be a tricky situation to discipline. He will certainly be suspended for the bowl game. Could extend for the first 3 games next season. By then, someone will have taken over as the lead back.

Would not surprise me to see him enter the portal and claim hardship so he could play next year somewhere.

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

Damit. Richt has lost control of the program!!

In all seriousness, he won't be suspended that long and he's a young kid who made a mistake. He'll serve his punishment and move on with his football career. If he transfers it won't be because of this.

• Options
    ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Disappointing but not the end of the world. Coach Smart will make the right call.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Doesn't add up Matthew. He had to be stopped for something. Pretty sure the police could not tell he didn't have a valid driver's license and that he had an open container at 1:46 AM. What was he stopped for? Another harassing road block?

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From what I'm hearing he was driving a someone who had been drinking. Seems like what you want somebody to do rather than having a drunk driver on the road. No good deed shall go unpunished.

• Options
    JackJack Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

Don't these players watch Live PD?

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am a retired LEO , worked in one the largest counties in Georgia. I do not know if this article is just another poorly written Dawg Nation bit or if something else is afoot.

First, how old is James now? Was this 'minor in possession" or just "open container"? The later is almost always a ticket or the alcohol is just simply poured out. No charge of DUI? What does "invalid drivers license" mean. To me, it means a fake ID, and yes is arrestable. But it could also mean expired or even driving on a suspended license. Clarity important here. Nobody gets arrested on 1st offense driving on expired license.

In any case this does not seem to be a big deal and I am sure team discipline will be far harsher than the fine. But I really would like to know why he was arrested and not ticketed.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cook's punishment will be interesting. Seems the most egregious charge is " having an invalid driver’s license." Open container is illegal, but far from a DUI. I doubt he misses much playing time at all.

Another harassing roadblock is very possible. We're talking about Athens GA. They do it all the time, and they don't call the coach to come pick up his boy...

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What is the deal with these “football players” ( said like the QB in The Waterboy) that have suspended licenses? They get EVERYTHING handed to them just because they can play football, then they do **** stuff like this. Kirby is going to have to kick off a big name from the team to get these “football players” attention to stop this junk.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Arrested? LOL. Write the kid a ticket. Send him to his coach. LOL! Over zealous much.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Adam schiff behind the arrest.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With parents and recruits in town for the last weekend befoe the first signing period, this is a bad look. I certainly hope he was not hosting anyone when arrested.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He did something to be stopped by police? Maybe he got off light? Will be interested to see how Coach Smart handles this "misdemeanor." He has dealt with several. College life. I hope he is reinstated with a strict warning.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

And the good news just keep rolling in for the Dawgs....good grief!!

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Clarke County Police Department versus University of Georgia Athletics.Georgia have not beaten them yet. Nor some the of fans who travels to the games.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

James made a mistake...ok...a couple mistakes. Who hasn't at that tender age. Give him a stern warning and move on....cut him out of the first half of the Sugar.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ugh, gut punch. Cook is a wonderful young man. I hate this for him, his family and the University. I am confident this sort of thing will only serve to propel Cook into becoming the best version of himself that he was already on his way to becoming. Blessings to Cook and his family.

Side Note: I graduated from UGA...The Athens/Clarke County Police DO NOT MESS AROUND. Don't test the waters with the men in blue in Athens, GA.

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

The Athens po-po is poo-poo! But seriously, it seems like the Athens police react on their egos. Bet more than half of them have done something worse in their past and was given a break. Just seems a little overboard to arrest JC for any of what has been described in all of the articles I’ve read. And sadly, there are MANY out there.