Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia offense flipping script: Terry Bowden's thoughts on drop-back to dual-threat transition

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia offense flipping script: Terry Bowden's thoughts on drop-back to dual-threat transition

Georgia football has brought in new offensive coaches and prominent new quarterbacks with mobility, Kirby Smart on the verge of change

Read the full story here

Comments

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

In order to effectively use a running or "mobile" qb year in and year out, you've got to have depth at qb. We have not had that at UGA in a number of years but looks like we are building that now. Go Dawgs!!!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At Auburn, Bowden was 1-5 and 1-4 SEC beginning in 1998 (late in his career). He had three QBs..starter was Gabe Gross and two underlings. Gross put up 1200 yds with 7 TDs. Pressure forced Bowden's resignation midway through the season. He did field mobile QBs, but more of a balanced attack. I never cared for the guy, but he was an intelligent coach most of his career. I suspect opinions will vary here.

Whatever anyone says, UGA is well on its way to the program's "new-look." That is good news!!! Now, sign Broderick Jones!!!!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The first order of business is to be an accurate passer. We don't need a QB that can run for five yards. At RBU, we have RBs that can do that. If the QB is not a threat to accurately throw the ball downfield into tight windows, it doesn't matter if you have a QB that runs. The box will still be stacked and you will lack numbers at the point of attack. That was the difference in Hurts compared to Burrow, Lawrence, and Fields in the playoffs.

I watched too many partial videos on Jamie Newman...the guy is a runner/accurate passer. He has the combo...at least he did while in the ACC...to hurt some teams. Very quick release and a ton of o-t-s bombs right on the money. His running ability showed up more earlier as later he passed more against aggressive defenses. UGA has the magic duo in this talented QB. He can run like an RB and pass very accurately. Hopefully, he can remain as dominate in the SEC. The OL will be a major factor....Mr. Luke.

• CrushmoreCrushmore Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm still totally perplexed on how someone with a law degree that coached at three colleges can be a grad assistant. Talk about high standards at Clemson!

• latemodelraylatemodelray Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yawn

I watched Wake play half a dozen games this past season and I see a drop back passer much like Russel Wilson ….. Sure he can scramble ok if things break down but at UGA with the OL we have I doubt he runs often , most times he scrambles looking down field still thinking he will throw the ball

We'll see, latemodelray. I too watched a lot of WF...he did seem to post and throw a lot...did not run much . Monken will work with him to show him the "new-look" and see how he performs. He rates more than a yawn, but, I did not see the dynamo many are presenting.