Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Best Films of the 90's

1235»

Comments

• Options
    RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not a great movie by any stretch, but an underrated comedy from 1990 was Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez in Men at Work. There were a few classic scenes; and it gave us this meme:

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lonesome Dove is one of the greatest movies of all time.....with one of the best characters....in Gus McCrae.....but it wasn't in the 90's. Almost....but it was 1989.

• Options
    dawgfantipdawgfantip Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2020

I was 5 then Tex, with my 4-10 pretending to be Gus (don't tell the democrats I had a gun that early, please) please forgive me. I guess I assumed anything I could recall so vividly had to be in the 90's at least.

You were absolutely right about the movie, as well as the character. The way him and Call (Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones for the uninitiated) played their polar opposite partners could have seemed contrived with different actors. They did it as smooth as butter. Were you aware it was originally written as a screenplay intended for John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Henry Fonda ? With respect to those fine actors I'm glad they turned it down. Duvall was born to play Gus.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did not know it was written as screenplay for those guys. But agree....couldn't imagine anyone but Duvall and Tommy Lee playing Gus and Call

• Options
    Steve_ZissouSteve_Zissou Posts: 307 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wasn’t too impressed w the LD movie. Albeit, I did see it for the first time 2 years ago after reading the book.

shawshank was the only movie I’ve seen that outperformed the book

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven't been active on the forum lately. Glad to see you fine folks keeping the conversation going here. Stay well.