Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

CFP management committee message: Students must return to campus before football resumes

SystemSystem Posts: 10,534 admin
edited April 2020 in Article commenting

imageCFP management committee message: Students must return to campus before football resumes

College football can't resume at schools until students at respective campuses return, according to the CFP management committee

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The two - academics and football - go hand-in-hand. If campuses aren't safe to reopen then there's no way teams can really even practice together much less play games. These things are not mutually exclusive. Morally, it doesn't even make sense.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

If campuses are not reopened by fall, we will have a financial crisis in higher education.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I see it this way. If campuses are reopened to all students by fall, then yes, we can resume football. But the part I see after is the bigger question. If football is allowed to be played, would be it with or without fans? How many fans would attend a game with no 100% vaccine? Vote up if you would attend, down if you wouldn't attend. I for one wouldn't attend because even if there's a chance, which very well could be, that this virus hasn't been tampered down, then you're exposing 100k plus people. Not just people attending the actual game, but workers, tailgaters and so forth and so on.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I voted down...just can't go to an event knowing that I might get the virus and pass it along to my parents or other high risk people. I'm middle age, and I think I could fight off the virus...my 80ish parents may not be able to.

I'm in agreement about not being able to have 100k fans together when there's no vaccine. I just don't see it.

I'm not trying to be negative...I'd love to be wrong.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wouldn't say that's negative, just more realistic at this point. Unless we have some major advances, in the next few months. It's hard to imagine a football season in 2020. May have to really start getting behind what chris Fowler said about having it start in february of next year. And it would also be an abbreviated season. I'd personally hate that, but monetarily, might make the most sense. Could you imagine 3 different sporting seasons at once?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with MontanaDawg....the two are not mutually exclusive. Colleges produce the players and teams, Period. To hold students off campus means just that ...all students. This pandemic is serious. It will drive what universities do..not conversely. The conference commissioners all agree. I cannot fully see one conference playing and not another, either. Can you just imagine that? So, we wait to see what our federal medical authorities say. It is out of our hands.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

If school doesn't start in the fall it will be a financial calamity for all of America. People can and will, make their own choices about attending public events. I for one will go to the games and take reasonable precautions as necessary. We are going to have to learn to live with this pathogen until an effective vaccine can be found.

Besides the learning that goes on, education is also big business. For most counties in GA, the local school board is the largest employer in the county. What will all of the teachers (who are on one year contracts) and administrators do for income if schools are closed? What will all of the college towns in GA do if there are no students?

There is not enough stimulus money in the world to keep everyone associated with education out of work through the end of the year. Over 22 million people have filed for unemployment in the last 4 weeks alone. Think about the bus drivers and lunch room ladies, they will all be crushed economically.

School has to start on time in the fall and football has to start with it. If it doesn't, this virus will be an economic disaster much worse that 2008 to 2011 in my opinion. We cannot have the "cure" be worse than the disease.