Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How Georgia football could get break if SEC goes to 10-game conference-only schedule

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageHow Georgia football could get break if SEC goes to 10-game conference-only schedule

Georgia football could catch a break if the SEC follows the Big Ten's lead goes to a 10-game conference-only schedule this season

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

It would be awesome to replace the 2 small school games, and the 2 ACC teams with all SEC teams we haven’t played in a long time Or have hardly played. Ole Miss, Ark, LSU, Texas A&M again...would be lots of fun. Everyone play a 11 or 12 SEC team schedule. I know ppl wouldn’t like this bc UGA might get left out, but I say the top 2 teams with the best SEC record plays in the SECCG, regardless of division...something new!

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All sounds well, but next question is, if season is shortened, what about expanding playoff?

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let’s all pray for Fall football, but this plan could also be utilized if the season is postponed until Spring. A ten game SEC schedule would be a good fit for a March-May schedule allowing 4-6 weeks (January and February) for pre-season practices. It could replace the traditional Spring practice with a fun football season. I’m starting to doubt seriously that fans will be in the stands in the Fall so this may give us a chance to fill the stadiums. Of course, a Spring season is fraught with issues with some players like Lawrence, Fields, etc refusing to play since it’s so close to the NFL draft. Lots to think about and this fiasco is just getting started. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All sec sounds good. But disagree with seccg. Do it like you suggest and maybe we wind up a an sec selection committee, like the old bcs, one. Using computer formulas and votes to determine who the opponents will be. No, thanks. East vs west.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe FINALLY get the game out of Jacksonville and make the gators have to play the contest on the road, every now and then, instead of the Dawgs always traveling.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Numerous annual topics of discussion could be addressed in a conference only schedule this year. If we do have a season, a game in Jacksonville should be off the table for the next two seasons. Mike Griffith has been touting this, along with switching Auburn and Mizzou to geographically appropriate divisions. These things will probably come to pass with UF in Athens in '20, UGA in Gville in '21 and '22 in Jax, if that's the way it goes. Opening '21 with Auburn in the East is both intriguing, and sensible. The SEC is in a good spot to do some tweaking, and this is the time to move on it.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The entire narrative on Florida this year would change if our schedules were more equitable. Florida would likely be a three loss team at the end of the season if they had to play us at home, Bama anywhere and not have their cupcake games. I hope we have an all SEC season for that reason alone! However, I will be happy if we have a complete season, in any form!

Go Dawgs.

• Options
    law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would be great! Lets just hope it happens.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The gators in Sanford stadium? I hadn't thought about that Covid-19 twist. Yes, that and moving the next two SEC West crossover teams up in the schedule would completely flip the narrative.

As far as the SEC bringing Florida to Athens because UGA is the home team in 2020. I won't hold my breath - when has the SEC treated Georgia fairly... Auburn still owes Ga a home game and they never made that right.

I just hope the SEC and ACC keep their decision making clear and logical. What is the difference in Georgia playing Virginia from the ACC and Georgia playing Arkansas, or Mississippi State? There is no difference in regards to the risk...