Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

A Dawgs fan picks his 20 all-time favorite UGA football players

SystemSystem Posts: 10,463 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageA Dawgs fan picks his 20 all-time favorite UGA football players

College football’s immediate future is uncertain, so it’s a good time to celebrate past gridiron heroes

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

bill:

How could you leave off Theron Sapp, The Drought Breaker

• Options
    pcpuppcpup Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Only ones I saw in person: Nick Chubb; Willie Mc Clendon;Jimmy Payne; Amp Arnold; Andy Johnson; Aaron Murray; DJ Shockley; Bob Taylor; Charlie Whittemore; Ray Donaldson; Bob Etter; Ben Zambiasi; Robert Edwards; Terrence Edwards; Steve Greer; Eric Zeier; Ray Goff; Herschel; Craig Hertwig; Hines Ward.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Impossible task, Herschel is the only lock. To many others who created fantastic memories to narrow it down.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good article Bill. Like you, I attended UGa in the 60’s so I have a list a mile long of favorites. One player who isn’t frequently mentioned is Bill Stanfill. He won the Outland Trophy and was an All American, Pro Bowler and Academic All American. I may have my years mixed up, but I think he played a roll along with Jake Scott in humiliating Steve Spurrier the year Florida was undefeated and Spurrier won the Heisman. That game is the reason Spurrier has always loathed our Dawgs and it likely cost the lizards a national championship which breaks my heart. Also, during Stanfill’s senior year he played a monster game against Florida annihilating them 51-0. I think he had at least 45 sacks in that game (joke). That was the game where Dooley let Stanfill play QB In the 4th quarter which was his lifelong dream. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again...excellent piece!!! I am class of '66. Throw in QB Larry Rakestraw and Wayne Brantley OL.

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore

jimbo I was really too young for Sapp to be more than a name to me, so he's never been a personal favorite, though I appreciate the role he played in ending the losing streak to Tech. The point about personal favorites is that they mean something to YOU. Yours undoubtedly are different from mine, but there's no right or wrong.