Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Wide receiver position continues to improve thanks to 'rising star' Cortez Hankton

SystemSystem Posts: 10,462 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageWide receiver position continues to improve thanks to 'rising star' Cortez Hankton

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Georgia football wide receivers in good hands with wide receivers coach Cortez Hankton The wide receiver

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I like Hankton, but I think our WRs did a poor job of downfield blocking last year, and that falls on his lap. I agree that we have upgraded the caliber of or WRs but they need to be more consistent, and more disciplined in order for the team to succeed.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ftworthdawg is probably right. It would appear that blocking weakened the WR position. I think Hankton stresses the offensive more then the defensive. IMO. The blocking will come as the totality of the WR role becomes more fully developed. Remember, UGA has pursued the running game grind. I guess actually blocking should have been stressed more as the passing game has been so inconsistent. IMO. UGA is now transforming into more of an RPO attack...new coaches, QB. Have to wait and see what evolves.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Responding to the Peter Burns post : Young adults are having COVID19 parties(seriously) while us older folks wear our mask and take every precaution under the sun. If I go to Walmart I wear a mask,but guess what? The majority of younger folks(40 and under)do not. They don't care about possibly being asymptomatic spreaders or they just think if they get it their age is on their side and it won't amount to much. And they are right.

Playing football or not in the big scheme of things isn't going to make a dent in the outcome. Does anyone really believe that if these kids don't play football, they are going to practice social distancing until if and when a vaccine is developed? Please! Just go to Walmart or to a restaurant or bar on Friday night and look around. Just got back from the beach a couple of weeks ago and everyone was letting the good times roll.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This year (the next season to be played) will be very interesting from a receiver perspective. I want to see catchable balls caught and downfield blocks made.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2020

Sankey's comments lead me to believe that if the numbers do not go down, there will be no football. I hate that such a small group of people are so dramatically affecting the lives of so many with their fear-based decisions and regulations. I agree with most of reddawg's sentiment about the actions of the younger generation.

1. Keeping a a few thousand kids across the US off a football field is not going to impact this pandemic nor increase their chances of getting a virus that has proven to be of extremely low risk to their demographic. You can easily make the argument that being under the watchful eye of the University staff while retaining the discipline and rigors of football which is required of these young men will decrease their chances of getting this virus! 2. What is the cost of not having a football season? Does that question ever get asked? In addition to the financial impact to the economy as well as the Universities and their sports programs, which will be bad; what about the mental health of athletes and dare I say...fans. Sports are important, competition is important, normalcy is important, especially during these times! 3. Let the players compete, let them be in control of their destiny. I guarantee the overwhelming majority if not all of these student athletes, after being given the facts and statistics, will choose to compete!

We need leaders not cowards. Let's let the players anonymously vote. If 95% say play, let them play. The descending percentage can keep their free tuition and cheer on their team from the safety of their couch like the rest of us.

May God's will be done, not man's.