Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why the hype around Georgia football quarterback Jamie Newman changed so quickly

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageWhy the hype around Georgia football quarterback Jamie Newman changed so quickly

Jamie Newman did not suddenly become a worse football player this week. His arm didn't fall off nor did he suddenly forget how to throw a football. He's still the same player that threw for 26 touchdowns a season ago while adding 574 rushing yards and 6 rushing touchdowns. He's still the same guy whose deep passing

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

It will get worked out in camp.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No way JT takes a hit on that knee early on. No rush.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I never anointed Newman the starting job. I never wrote him off either. Like SAVY said, it will get worked out in camp. Until then I have no real opinion on any of it.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jamie is still Jamie! JT Daniels is just an addition to the QB room...albeit a 5-star behind much HYPE. He did perform well in CA...BUT...it is that nagging ACL injury that gives us pause for 2020. HYPE is what it pares down to. Jamie transfers in and is immediately adorned savior. ..Heisman candidate. JT transfers in and Jamie who? New UGA QB hero....JT, hobbled and all...is the new hope.....HYPE. Are we and UGA that desperate? Come on. UGA has a room teeming with tremendous QB potential...tremendous. And 2021...Brock Vandagriff...another 5-star QB entry!! UGA can never complain about any in its star-studded stable of QBs. What a position to be in! Let's GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2020

Newman will be the starting QB. Daniels played half a season at USC, during that time his INTs to TDs ratio was far from good and he is coming off a terrible knee injury. Bennett will never start a game at UGA. Mathis and Beck are very, very good QBs but they have not been under center in a UGA uniform with an opponents uniform on the other side of the ball (scrimmage does not count). Newman is a Senior with significant starting experience who is a very intelligent, athletic QB with Heisman potential. I truly believe it is borderline foolish to not think Newman will not be the starting QB for game 1. However, that does not mean he will retain that position even half way through the season.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sure that Newman will use this doubt as motivation and show everyone if he deserves to start or not.

• Options
    RighteousRighteous Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

It's because there isn't much else to talk about.

• Options
    AlysiadawgAlysiadawg Posts: 63 ✭✭ Sophomore

Do you think that maybe Daniels transferred to UGA because of the ability it seems UGA has to put players in the NFL after major knee injuries? I believe we have 4 players currently playing in the NFL that had major knee injuries during their time at UGA.

Plus Newman will win starting job because of what he brings to the table. Phenomenal player.

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just wonder will Jamie Newman ever take a snap under center for the Georgia Bulldogs? Will he remain for another season after this forced shutdown of 2020 season due to COVID and how will that impact the QB situation overall?