Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Georgia football should start D'Wan Mathis at Arkansas

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageWhy Georgia football should start D'Wan Mathis at Arkansas

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart has a decision to make at quarterback for the Arkansas game, and the opinion here is D'Wan Mathis should start

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If the QB race is close between Daniels and Mathis and with Mathis being a redshirt freshman, give him the keys. Whomever the QB is will have needed the vast majority of the reps since this is a new offense. Any of my fellow Dawg fans who were OC's or Coach's, am I off base with that assessment? Go Dawgs!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    joelljoell Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman

Maybe Jamie Newman will opt back in like others have done.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd like to see Mathis start, play well and put enough numbers on the board to see what both Daniels and Beck can do with a quarter each.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA can save the Coaches burden and flack if they let fans and writers decide who plays.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

I want the best QB leading the team, not the one who is the sentimental choice, being the sentimental choice doesn't win games, and let the offensive Coordinator make the choice, stop trying to pick the QB for him, whoever wins the QB job should win it based on reading the defense, and scoring in the red zone, and moving the ball between the 20's which is the easiest for QBs, because the defense has a lot more field to cover, and just remember how fast fans can turn on a QB who's not winning games, quit all this he said, she said, and let Kirby and the other coaches do their jobs, their the ones who are at practice everyday. Look, I hope D' Wan Mathis wins the QB Job, but only because he won the job, and I believe Mathis wants to win the QB job right out, and not because of what he's been through, but because he's the best QB on the team.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It'll be really interesting if Mathis gets the nod -- it would mean two high-profile grad transfers got beat out (I think Newman left because he knew he wouldn't be the guy). Hopefully, Daniels will be able to take such a turn of events without opting out.

• Options
    vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think we will be in good hands whoever our starters turns out to be. I hope that each of these guys is playing lights out and that is why we don't have a clear favorite, but I guess we'll see on the 26th.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would love few things more than to see Mathis lead UGA to a Championship over Fields and Ohio State. Could you imagine the headlines?

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby did say Daniels had a scope just before arriving at UGA. He said it in a way that if he had waited till he got here his staff would have done a better job. Looks like Mathis. I know Mike Griffith likes Meechigan Mathis as well. It should be a good performance by the young qb. Remember, this though, this is NOT the undisciplined IDGAF Razorbacks of the last few years. Probably a much lower scoring game than most anticipate. Go Dawgs

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think we will see both QB's play against Arkansas. That is the only way to settle the matter - on the field. Plus we are liable to need two capable QB's to play this crazy season and they both need to be ready.

• Options
    BullDawg88888BullDawg88888 Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

I agree. Good article.

• Options
    BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree. I'm not expecting the blowout many are assuming. Arkansas is still an SEC program and w/ a new coach you better believe they are going to play hard.

A juiced opponent and an untested offense sounds like it could be ripe for a slog, at least early on. And if that's the case the longer that goes the more Arkansas will believe. I have no idea what the players think, but it's clear the fans are assuming a little too much for my liking. Seems like there is a good chance fans could be in for at least a little surprise if it's not a blowout early. The Vandy opener last year wasn't really a blowout and I'd say that team had a lot fewer questions on O.

• Options

I'm not buying the Newman was scared angle. That theory took a huge hit when it became clear, at the very least, JT has not locked up the job through stellar play so far. Not to mention all credible reporting has stated that Newman was being groomed to start.

Here is the reality for me. If UGA wins w/ Mathis not being a complete disaster at QB (if he starts), it's his job to lose--just like w/ Fromm. The QB position is different in that coaches rarely make switches if the team is winning games with the QB just not falling on his face.

• Options

I agree w/ you w/ the small caveat that I want the QB that gives us the best chance to beat Alabama, Clemson, etc. if the game is put on HIS shoulders. I don't want the QB that checks UGA into the right run vs. Vandy. The reality is there are dozens of QBs that would have a similar record vs. 90% of the teams UGA plays. What matters is when we play the elite teams w/ elite QBs we haven't been able to match points because having a good college QB is a disadvantage to teams having elite, playmaking college QBs.

Can you win w/ a game managing QB? Sure you can. Just like you can win without an elite defense, but a lot of other things have to be right for that to happen. And in life, there are no bonus points for difficulty.

I don't care if it's Mathis or JT but I can't help but notice that the teams winning championships all have had significant contributions from the mobility of their QBs--how many sacks did Burrow get out of last year that should have been 12 yard losses? I guess what I'm saying is all else being close to equal, I'm pulling for the guy w/ some mobility.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All are healthy but one of them. Out of those, I say start Mathis, but play Beck too. How much would depend on how well he knows the offense. Give him some reps, just in case he is needed down the road. Still can redshirt him. What if Daniels is 100% cleared? Well, if he is going to be the eventual starter, I would give him all the live snaps I could. That would be something though, his first live contact coming in a game and not practice. I personally would like whoever is going to start game 2 against Auburn, to start game 1 or play a lot, to get ready. It is going to be hard for Daniels to not play game 1, then start against Auburn the next week and play good enough to win it. I think. Maybe Mathis is going to be the starter all year. Maybe it will be a rotation until one of them beats the other out. Maybe it will be until Daniels is cleared and wins it in practice. Beck has huge game too. Going to be very interesting.

• Options
    WalteregoWalterego Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

"UGA’s history of making conservative calls on medical decisions suggests they won’t push the issue."

White and Blaylock's rehab outcome and RTS timeframe alone post ACL repair completely disagree with you. AJC even reported White was limping in a practice before his contralateral ACL tear during contact special team drills. That's careless if not reckless. Certainly not conservative.

• Options
    WalteregoWalterego Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Regarding JT Daniels, we're at least well past the bare minimum 9 month post surgery time frame. That does not speak to the return to sport testing criteria we won't know as fans, but at least JT is on a more reasonable time table. I'd like to see Mathis get a run, though.