Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

D'Wan Mathis on ESPN CollegeGameday:

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageD'Wan Mathis on ESPN CollegeGameday:

Will he start against Arkansas? Georgia redshirt freshman QB D'Wan Mathis appeared on ESPN's CollegeGameday broadcast on Saturday. That provided a pretty big tell about his role in the Georgia offense against Arkansas.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m still pulling for D’Wan, however, it was apparent after that hit he took near the sideline by #10, rattled him from that point on. Stetson has done an outstanding job since coming in. Showing a tremendous amount of poise and making good reads.

• rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was helmet to helmet contact on Mathis as he was about to go out of bounds. Went through it by frame to frame. On reply it is obvious. Why was this not targeting?

• RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

He might as well go ahead and submit transfer papers.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess I can say that I'm glad JT didn't get a chance to play (but really, really hope he does by next week) so that Mathis could get his storybook shot. ****, though - I don't think it's going to work out. Even when he came back in for mop up duty, things still didn't go well (although I'm sure there were many 2nd/3rd stringers in there).

Congrats to Bennett for a shockingly good performance. It shows that height in a QB isn't everything and the team really clicked well for him. Will he be able to lead us to a NC? Probably not, but he's earned the right to be put in should JT be having a bad game. I'd certainly start him vs Mathis at this point.

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mathis was a victim of the same thing that impacts many running qb’s. They try to force them to be pass first qb’s. He needs to run until they stack to stop the run.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what CKS was seeing in practice to go with this kid. Sure he's an outstanding individual but he missed throws(some badly), missed a snap, ran out of bounds when he could have fought for a 1st down, almost had a pick 6, etc. To be honest it couldn't have gone much worse for him. If he stayed in , we lose. He looked scared after that 1st pop. Stetson came in like he's been doing it all his life. Has a nice qick release, Mathis has a very long armed slow delivery. Jitters perhaps, but he really made me appreciate Jake Fromm.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So glad to see you playing football again, D'Wan! Keep working hard, young man! There's a lot of us pulling for you!

GO DAWGS!

• ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm hoping Dwan's early game performance was more of a case of jitters (two years since officiated play) than anything else. Anyway, I think he has the skill and athleticism to do well.

That said, I'm still of the thought that helmet to helmet violation penalties should be doubled down. That infraction should be more devastating to a team because of the potential for great harm. I know very well if I'm leading with my helmet or not. No? Is helmet to helmet strikes part of their daily practice??? It should be enforced with a huge penalty.