A Look at the 5 top uncommitted UGA targets - By Jeff Sentell

SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,524 mod

Justin Fields is now the No. 1 overall prospect in the nation per 247Sports and the 247Sports Composite

@JeffSentell wrote:

5-star QB Justin Fields, Kennesaw, Ga.
Do you know this name yet? It would be a shock by now if any UGA fan didn’t know this young man’s name. Fields now rates as the nation’s No. 1 overall prospect for 2018. The 6-foot-3, 221-pound Fields can run a 4.51 laser time in the 40-yard dash. The Under Armour All-American also has a 29 on his ACT and a 3.9 grade-point-average at Harrison High School.

His decision, which should likely be made in the next two months, should come down to FSU and Georgia. Auburn is also in there somewhat. It seems like the Bulldogs do have a lot of momentum here.

5-star OG Jamaree Salyer, Atlanta, Ga.
The Pace Academy senior ranks as the nation’s top offensive line prospect for this cycle. He’s a likely guard at the next level and DawgNation also projects his best Sunday position to be center about 3-4 years down the road. The U.S. Army All-American is a close lifelong friend to promising UGA freshman OT Andrew Thomas.

Salyer, the highest-rated interior line prospect by the 247Sports composite since 2006, will take an unofficial visit to UGA on Sept. 2 against Appalachian State. His first official visit will be to Notre Dame for the Georgia game on Sept. 9. Clemson, Ohio State and Stanford are the other primary contenders to sign Salyer. He is warming to the idea of making his decision during the early signing period between Dec. 20-22.

4-star OG Trey Hill, Warner Robins, Ga.
Hill seems like an example of Georgia’s priority to stack up as many elite players up front as mathematically permissible by the 85-man scholarship cap. Hill, a former teammate of UGA freshman Jake Fromm at Houston County, rates as the nation’s No. 2 prospect at guard for 2018.

The 6-foot-3, 340-pound Hill has been told by UGA line coach Sam Pittman that he can contend for a spot at center right away. He rates as the nation’s No. 34 overall prospect for 2018.

He’s pretty tight-lipped about his favorites, but a sample size of Auburn, Clemson, FSU and UGA seems to be the perceived teams to watch out for here.

4-star DB Tyreke Johnson, Jacksonville, Fla.
He’s ranked as the nation’s No. 4 safety, but Johnson makes it clear he plans to be a cornerback on Saturdays. Johnson has a lot of ties to UGA, including invested relationships with coach Kirby Smart, defensive coordinator Mel Tucker and freshman safety Richard LeCounte III.

But he’s far from a sure thing. Johnson also cites heavy interest in schools such as Florida, Ohio State and UCLA. The 6-foot-1, 191-pound Johnson did recently say he wouldn’t mind being college roommates with Justin Fields. That was interesting. The Trinity Christian standout has long maintained he knows more about UGA and has fewer questions about UGA than any other program.

Look for his decision to come sometime in December. Johnson rates as the nation’s No. 38 overall prospect for 2018.

4-star OLB Adam Anderson, Rome, Ga
Anderson has de-committed from both UGA and LSU. Could the Bulldogs pull off a re-commit? Well, that’s the hope for Smart and this staff. Anderson ranks as the nation’s No. 2 OLB and also as the nation’s No. 43 overall prospect.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Anderson is a blur coming off the edge. He’s coy about what his true feelings are in regard to his top schools. DawgNation projects he has a top 3, Alabama, Clemson and UGA. Tennessee is also kicking up a lot of dust at this time.

What stands out here: Acceleration. Length. Explosiveness. Toughness.

Anderson is well-coached by a strong staff of savvy football men at Rome High.

Just off this list: 4-star RB James Cook, 4-star TE Luke Ford, 5-star DE K.J Henry, 4-star OLB J.J. Peterson, 4-star OLB Otis Reese and 4-star DT Rick Sandidge

Read the full story at DawgNation.com here:
https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/uga-football-recruiting-latest-updates-bulldogs-class

Comments

• bubbadawgbubbadawg Posts: 228 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm not where I can listen to the podcast right now. How solid is Zeus? I was pretty sure he said he was shutting it down.

• Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2017

@SavageDawg17 said:

@bubbadawg said:
    I'm not where I can listen to the podcast right now. How solid is Zeus? I was pretty sure he said he was shutting it down.

Yes @JeffSentell has confirmed in the past Zeus is locking it down, a lot like Nick Chubb as he wants his play on the field to do the talking and not drag out the recruiting spotlight.

Here’s the big news: The nation’s No. 1 RB said he was shutting down his recruitment with this decision.

“This is final,” White said.

That means no more visits. That means no more chatting with college coaches. He plans to enroll at Georgia in January after he takes part in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

Just keep in mind, Sat--Saban and Money Bag Meyer want Zamir bad. They will relentlessly be in his ear until February

• SavageDawg17SavageDawg17 Posts: 1,524 mod
    edited August 2017

@Midnite_Train said:

@SavageDawg17 said:

@bubbadawg said:

Yes @JeffSentell has confirmed in the past Zeus is locking it down, a lot like Nick Chubb as he wants his play on the field to do the talking and not drag out the recruiting spotlight.

Here’s the big news: The nation’s No. 1 RB said he was shutting down his recruitment with this decision.

“This is final,” White said.

That means no more visits. That means no more chatting with college coaches. He plans to enroll at Georgia in January after he takes part in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio.

Just keep in mind, Sat--Saban and Money Bag Meyer want Zamir bad. They will relentless be in his ear until February

Zamir White will be an early enrollee per Jeff and will start classes in Athens in January. You can bet Kirby and staff will push for his early commitment during the Early signing period December 20-22. That shoots down Kirschner's argument that Zeus would be in awe of another Bama title run in January that could possibly "change White's mind" (his words).

• bubbadawgbubbadawg Posts: 228 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks @SavageDawg17 @Midnite_Train @CZCashvilleDawg sitting in a hospital in Macon and couldn't listen to Dawgnation Daily.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ladawg said:
    I'm so curious where bama ends up in recruiting.. a lot of people said Kirby was his ace recruiter for 8 years.. yes, last year bama was one, but Kirby and co started those relationships in 15'... it's a very interesting storyline moving forward.. if bama drops some and we continue our jump

Bama could miss out on a top 3 class with OSU #1 and Texas and UGA #2 & 3 in some order.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ladawg said:
    I'm so curious where bama ends up in recruiting.. a lot of people said Kirby was his ace recruiter for 8 years.. yes, last year bama was one, but Kirby and co started those relationships in 15'... it's a very interesting storyline moving forward.. if bama drops some and we continue our jump

I've had the same thought. And how long does Saban stick around when he realizes the bloom is falling from the rose?

• donmdonm Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@ladawg said:

I've had the same thought. And how long does Saban stick around when he realizes the bloom is falling from the rose?

a BIG if and a not so big if. I see us continuing our jump but I really don't think Bama will be dropping much, if at all. I'll be fine if we just do our part.

• JamesBTalleyJamesBTalley Posts: 38 ✭✭ Sophomore

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    Just a Bama homer writing for the home team.

I've followed kirschner most of his career. He is a lot of things, but Bama homer isn't one of them. He is just doing his job plain and simple. I believe he was a UF grad(don't hold me to that) but I know he used to cover the dawgs some as well. He is a good journalist and does the assignments he is supposed to do.

• Southern_BrandSouthern_Brand Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

Heard some chatter last night at the HoCo Vs. Peach County game from Peach Co. players and HoCo players that Trey Hill will be signing with Georgia when it's all said and done. Are they just spreading a rumor, or do they know what Hills' plan is? I'm predicting he's a Dawg.

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,055 admin
    edited August 2017

Kirschner has very strong sources on the Alabama beat.

Credible journalist but also a friend. Definitely not a Bama homer. Can confirm he is a UF grad.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2017

@tiger_62082 said:

Alabama will be fine - as far as recruiting and wins are concerned. Darth VadeaLr .... errrrrr.... I mean Nick Saban represents continuity. When assistants leave, he just reloads. He's got Lupoi, Jeremy Pruitt and the former head coach at New Mexico whose name escapes me on staff; all are elite recruiters. Saban and Pelpotene.... errrr.... I mean Urban Meyer just reload like Tom Osborne did offensive linemen in the 90s. Short of retirement or much needed NCAA investigations, those programs will continue to recruit at elite levels with those two men in charge. To think anything else is wishful thinking IMHO.

Exactly, Tiger. I think that those UGA fans that are sitting there thinking that Alabama's low commitment/ranking right now is some type of good news for Georgia are missing the potential dark side of this situation. Personally, I'm nervous about an Alabama with a lot of room in its recruiting class. Saban has a decade-long history of getting recruits to Alabama--and the funds, facilities, staff, championships (and, if need be, a team of "friendly" boosters) to back it up. They WILL get recruits. I just don't want them to be OUR recruits. If you don't think the Stephon Wynn situation could play out again, you're kidding yourself. I remember the resigned response a number of folks on this board had after Wynn's seeming change of heart...."Well, of course, it's Alabama..." With some of our biggest targets still uncommitted (Adam Anderson, comes immediately to mind), I'm concerned about a repeat scenario.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@MinnesotaDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

Alabama will be fine - as far as recruiting and wins are concerned. Darth VadeaLr .... errrrrr.... I mean Nick Saban represents continuity. When assistants leave, he just reloads. He's got Lupoi, Jeremy Pruitt and the former head coach at New Mexico whose name escapes me on staff; all are elite recruiters. Saban and Pelpotene.... errrr.... I mean Urban Meyer just reload like Tom Osborne did offensive linemen in the 90s. Short of retirement or much needed NCAA investigations, those programs will continue to recruit at elite levels with those two men in charge. To think anything else is wishful thinking IMHO.

Exactly, Tiger. I think that those UGA fans that are sitting there thinking that Alabama's low commitment/ranking right now is some type of good news for Georgia are missing the potential dark side of this situation. Personally, I'm nervous about an Alabama with a lot of room in its recruiting class. Saban has a decade-long history of getting recruits to Alabama--and the funds, facilities, staff, championships (and, if need be, a team of "friendly" boosters) to back it up. They WILL get recruits. I just don't want them to be OUR recruits. If you don't think the Stephon Wynn situation could play out again, you're kidding yourself. I remember the resigned response a number of folks on this board had after Wynn's seeming change of heart...."Well, of course, it's Alabama..." With some of our biggest targets still uncommitted (Adam Anderson, comes immediately to mind), I'm concerned about a repeat scenario.

You nailed it! Frankly, I've been seeing way too much delusional thinking & spin on here. Whiffing on (insert name here) four star is translated as "We never wanted him." My favorite is those that can't give other coaching staffs credit. I am the biggest Georgia out there but I got to keep it 100. Doing otherwise means you lose perspective.

Doubting Darth Vader... er I mean Saban's.... recruiting acumen is akin to thinking you don't need to pay taxes. How many defensive and offensive coordinators have been promoted and he still wins recruiting (and national) championships? He let Mario Cristobal go to Oregon and his replacement is doing great on the recruiting trail. As you state, Saban WILL get his and he ALWAYS closes strong. I, too am, very concetned about Anderson. Last year, as pointed out by the SI recruiting guru and others, we limped to the finish line with a few reaches and missing out on Jamyest Williams and letting Leonard Warner III go to FSU. I don't know of anyone other than God and Nick Saban that could convince a kid from California or Maryland (who has options) to attend college in Alabama. Is Kirby Luke Skywalker? I sure hope so, but it's too early to tell.

Personally, I think we finish no higher than 4th - and that's a best case scenario. Texas is having a special recruiting year. They're landing defensive backs at a ridiculous rate - and they have coveted five star corner Anthony Cook and another four star DB very much in play. (I was hoping with the talent level in state this cycle we'd be in the same boat, but at this point, we are far from it). No one will catch Ohio State though Bama will come close. USC has a lot of in state talent to choose from and has its vibe back. Short of Miami having a rash of decommitments, they will be up there too. I don't obsess over rankings and ratings; needs met, film and camp mean the most to me. If we meet our needs with LIMITED whiffs & reaches and finish 7th (for example), then that's fine to me.

I agree that Texas are doing very well at recruiting but at the end of the day I believe that our class will be way better than theirs. If you are correct about Cook and the other DB that will bring them to 20. Of those 6 will be DB, 2 QB, 1 RB, 5 WR/TE 1 K with only 2 OT and 1 DT and 2 LB. That may be great for Big 12 football but is hardly an SEC recruiting class.

We are all entitled to our opinions and I think that we will end with a good class that is ideally suited to what Kirby is trying to accomplish. Yes, there were a handful or less of kids from Ga that we missed on. I only include McMichael in that list as far as DBs go. In that regard I think it is telling the one's that we are still pursuing, namely, McMichael, Cooper, Cox and Reese.

I am certainly am looking as our class being half-full and filling rapidly with Fields being the key to getting to where it is overflowing come February. It will end highly rated AND balanced to our needs.

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't obsess over rankings and ratings; needs met, film and camp mean the most to me. If we meet our needs with LIMITED whiffs & reaches and finish 7th (for example), then that's fine to me.

Totally agree. If we can close strong with the big in-state targets and add some talent to DB class and SEC-quality bodies on the interior DL, I'll be great...considering my concerns throughout this recruiting cycle. IMO, first couple games of the season are HUGE in determining the story of the 2018 offensive recruiting class. Final story about the defensive class will hopefully be told later in the cycle.