Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Backup quarterback’s feel-good story can’t hide Dawgs’ problems on offense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,433 admin
edited September 2020 in Article commenting
imageBackup quarterback’s feel-good story can’t hide Dawgs’ problems on offense

Exemplary defense and special teams can carry Georgia only so far

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent coverage, Bill, as usual. The mask bit, well, a couple of comments below this one answered that. I do believe Stetson Bennett has earned the start against Auburn..unless JT Daniels is cleared and reping like Joe Burrow did. Not likely. He'll need some WD-40 practices to dissolve the rust. Penalties.....penalties and more penalties in Half One. I thought we would end up with minus yardage. Half Two was a not new but renewed effort...execution by the offense was back. The "mailman" delivered the mail and UGA walked away from the sinking Razorbacks. Hats off to Pittman...he came to play.

• Options
    UGACCUGACC Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

To those commenting on masks, Kirby should wear one because he's a role model. I believe he'd tell us all to do the same. Not everyone watching games gets tested as often as he does.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok, sorry but I gotta put it out there.

Saying Mathis’s confidence was shaken from being pulled early is proposterous. He was 6/15 for less than 40 yards. His foot work was horrible and he made bad decisions while running ( not sliding, pulling up short of 1st down, etc). All of those stats were against a horrible team. If there ever is a correct time to pull a q.b. Is when you are trailing by 5 to an over matched opponent in their home stadium, oh yeah and he had an interception.

ladies and gents, life doesn’t stop pouring it on just because we are inexperienced at something. At some point you gotta say, forget trying to use a “teachable” moment and go try to win the dang game!

So in closing, people getting all up about a possible shaken confidence issue, please build a bridge and get over it because it’s about winning and the schedule ain’t getting easier.

btw, Bennett played barely 1.5 quarters and had 211 pass yards.

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Reasonably accurate assessment here. Very concerned about the offense especially the QB situation. But ZW looked good in 2nd half with some shiftiness we haven't really seen before. Defense looked very good, but this is against Arkansas. How defense will hold up against a good offense if our offense starts slow remains to be seen. We saw better pressure on QB especially when most of the throws are quick ones, but still not enough if we want to be a truly dominating defense.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

The furror over masks is political correctness through and through. It is so **** for sideline reporters with no one within 10 feet of them at an outdoor stadium to be wearing them while on camera. Much less for a coach and players who have been tested three times in the past week.

It is all done for show and serves no real purpose but to cowtow to the political elite that have shut down our economy and cost millions of people their jobs. Once the election is over, this whole furror over covid-19 will start to fade, just you wait.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was pulling for Mathis, I still am. With that said, he has more time to learn and make another run at the starting position. Georgia doesn't have that luxury.

I think the plan at QB should be, if Daniels is cleared, then split the practice reps between him and Bennett, and see who looks better.

If Daniels is not cleared by today, then replace Daniels with Beck and let him and Bennett go at it and may the best QB start the Auburn game.

I do wonder if Mathis didn't at least have some cobwebs in his head after that Pool hit, which looked like text book targeting to me. I was surprised to see Mathis bounce up after as if it hadn't even happened. The kid didn't look the same after that.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't think that most people here realize what is going on. Here's the truth, the chance that the Dawgs win the east is, IMO, less than 40%. So many things have to fall into place. The main thing is that Daniels has to come in as QB and step up big time. The odds of him doing that are very low. I like Bennett but he just doesn't have the tools to get the job done. As things stand right now, I think a realistic record for the Dawgs this year will be 7-3....and that is being kind.

I don't think there is any shame in saying that this might be a rebuilding year for the Dawgs

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

BTW....with all the stuff going on....someone here is complaining about the coaches having to wear mask...stuff like this makes me question people's intelligence

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am simpatico with your assessment in all but one area. I really don't like the red pants, preferring the silver britches. I do like the white jerseys they played in however. Perhaps they could wear those jerseys with the silver britches and at least for one game, change the helmet to silver with red center stripe. That would make them look strangely close to a certain team north of the Mason-Dixon. It might just allure our former "future qb" to rethink his options and return to his state university before say October 3, 2020!

• Options
    BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

I noticed that too and was surprised there was no discussion of that hit. The runner is not protected like an in the pocket QB or a defenseless WR, but it looked like he literally went after his head with a completely unnecessarily high hit. Don't want to call someone dirty but I'm sure they knew the story of Mathis and it was kind of strange to hit him that high IMO. Looked like he went out of his way.

• Options
    dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

He shouldn't be the backup. He should have been on scholly sincd 2017. Even Roquan talked about how much he carved up that 2017 defense every week in practice. He should have taken over for Fromm last year. But Kirby keeps playing favorites with the QB position and its killing us.