Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart fiercely defends fourth down decisions in 44-21 win over Tennessee

SystemSystem Posts: 10,433 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart fiercely defends fourth down decisions in 44-21 win over Tennessee

Georgia coach Kirby Smart saw his offense stuffed on two fourth-and-1 plays against Tennessee on Saturday, but he defends his decisions to go for them

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think most fans thought it was a good idea to go for it, but I think most were hoping for better play calling too, jumbo package, RPO, just something to catch them off guard. I know by pounding it between the tackles they were planning on wearing them down, and it worked to some degree, but I'm sure it won't work next week unless they're mistake free. I would hope they challenge the players this week and be a little more creative.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s a foot! Perfect play calling, but bad OL execution.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wondered on the second try from the goal line, why didn't they let Bennett do a bootleg around the right end. It was clear UT was selling out for the dive play up the middle, and Bennett had already proven he could get outside. I was OK with the decision to go for it (although I would have been OK with a FG, too), but I just thought they needed a play call. And on the QB sneak by Bennett earlier, I don't think he should be trying it. He's just too light. It seems maybe they should consider using the Wild Dog again. Or something besides just handing off up the middle when they see it's not working.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's easy to be forgiving of Smart because we won. BUT, if we had lost, everyone would be talking about the foolish failed 4th and 1 from our own 36 that led to 7 points for Tennessee. I don't have a problem with going for the 4th and 1 at the goal line. I do have a problem with the predictability of the play calling. A bootleg, a pitch out or a pass to a TE coming off a block; all would have been better calls, especially after failing on 3rd down with the same play.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'd have gone for it on the goal line, too (and maybe on the 36) but I danged sure wouldn't run it up the middle every time. Maybe the first one but the second, Bennett keeps, rolls out and gets to the pylon. I watched tennessee sell out for the dive every time. The score was there, we just didn't want it.

Our defense is really good but you have to admit, we left a few early game sacks out there again this week. I watched Ole Miss do the same against Alabama and they could have won if they could just tackle. If we have the sack presented to us, we need to get it.

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

you can not be RBU if you can't get a yard in critical situations. We couldn't last year and this year so far it is a repeat. Either the play called isn't correct or the effort necessary to succeed isn't there.. As far as the effort from our own 35; pride goeth before the fall. Might do well to remember that unless we can discover a sure fire play.

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why would you go for it on fourth-and-1 at the UGA 36 with the Dawgs up 14-7 and about 7 minutes left in the first half? Boneheaded mistake by Smart.

Tennessee had done nothing offensively at that point. Yet, immediately after the failed 4th down play, the Vols take a shot and tie it up.

Next time just punt the ball and play defense.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was, of course, the right call in what was likely to be a big scoring game.

The problem was just trying to run it up the middle over and over again. That was the failure point. Try some sweeps and passing variants.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“If I had to go out there again today, I’d do it again,” Smart said. “I’d do it until I couldn’t do it anymore unless someone could guarantee me we weren’t going to make it.” This attitude could cost Kirby a game. Pride has no part in making offensive decisions on the playing field. For the most part, football is a practical game....not pride and odds and getting suckered! I said..for the most part. Learn Kirby...from your mistakes, do not keep repeating them. Zeus was stuffed! TN saw it coming. So will Bama. Kick the ball!

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good call Kirby. We won the game that's all that matters

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Amen! No way he should have gone for it on our own 36. Even if we had made that first down I would say it was the wrong call. If you have the defense that we have, make the other team march down the field! If we had not gotten a first down in the very next series we would have been punting it anyway.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Okay, here we go. Dawg-it, Kirby, can you EVER admit that there was anything wrong with doing the "perfect" thing and coming up with an "imperfect" result? Did a tornado sweep through the stadium on hut-hut-snap?

Listen, NOBODY should question the choice to go for 4-1 (which was less than 1).

What we CAN question is running the play everybody in the stadium knows you're going to run. Hey, Kirbs: Just because it's 4-1, that does NOT mean you can't be creative (and safe at the same time).

Watch the **** NFL, will you? There is a lot of creativity in that short + inches scenario.

So yeah, go for it. But don't sink into turtle mode when you do.

Goodness. When will this **** coach, whom we all love so much, mature (not as a man, but as a coach)? How about a little hurry-up?