Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart explains why Georgia defensive performance 'doesn't cause alarm' after Alabama loss

SystemSystem Posts: 7,418 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart explains why Georgia defensive performance 'doesn't cause alarm' after Alabama loss

Through the first three games of the season, Georgia looked like one of if not the best defense in the country. Then, the Bulldogs played Alabama and the narrative quickly shifted. The Crimson Tide had an all-time day against Kirby Smart and his defense, as they rolled up 564 yards. That's the most given up since

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is a joke. Stop making excuses and rise up. It's embarrassing to keep doing this "yeah, but" dance. Kirby might out-coach Nick Saban as soon as the dinosaurs return to the earth. Jumping around on the sidelines as if you're still in High School is not called coaching.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not sure why we gave up "only" 20 points in the first half when it was "only" 21 in the second. This loss was not on the defense - although no pressure made it impossible to stop Bama. This is 100% on the offence.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Defense had us in the game. If they didn't have to return to the field so often, it would've been a different story. Like stated, alabama adjusted at halftime, we didn't. Coaching problem there. Stetson threw back to back interceptions, which the tipped one not all his fault. The other, all of his fault. Again coaching problem, should've taken Bennett out to calm him down. So no, defense doesn't scare me, they were completely wore out by game's end. And the offense was still fresh. We'll bounce back, but Kirby needs to let off the reins on offense. No running attack in the second half was a joke. But like I've also said before, the defenders also couldn't beat them refs. We never will.

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you watch the Waddle touchdown again, there were 3 or 4 open receivers, mainly because it was an incredible play design. If he didn’t throw the bomb, he had an easy first down to the TE or the dig route across the middle. There was no way we were gonna hold them to 3 and out like UT and Auburn. That being said, we have to figure out how to balance protecting the secondary and bringing pressure. Against those wide receivers, you have to hurry the QB or he will do exactly what he did. 3 sacks is actually more than I thought we had, but with Ojulari, Johnson, Nolan, Anderson, Quay and company, we have no excuse to not pressure the QB when we want to.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe you should go in to coaching and show everyone how it should be done.

• Options
    LDawgLDawg Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

I see the exact same thing we saw in 2017. We had a top ranked team and we got our asses handed to us on the road vs a top 5 team. I watched film of the 1st auburn game and we made a lot of mistakes but we competed and they did not dominate us...same thing last Sat. We are better than them in my book except for 1 position...QB. It was obvious that bennett did not belong on the field with all of those great players, but he is the best we got right now. Thank you SO SO much mr newman for that BS! If Newman stayedwe woulda crushed bama in their house.

The defense was awesome in my book. They got really tired and gave up those long TD's and the ref's kept bailing them out constantly. We stopped blitzing in the 2nd half and paid for it...Cannot give ANY QB time with those WR's to throw too.You almost have to play it to blitze every play, and just try to guard those receivers for 3 or 4 seconds instead of 6 seconds cuz we dont blitz and Jones had all day. first half we pressured him and he didnt play well, but 2nd half he killed us cuz of the time he had to throw.

Kirby just needs to get Daniels or even Beck ready by the last 2 or 3 games to get some experience before the SECCG when we then beat bama in atlanta! Go to the playoffas the #3 seed since Clemson and Oh st aint gonna lose so they will be 1 and 2. So most likely we'll play OH state 1st game then Clemson for the title. So we must have a QB that can make a team pay for loading the box to stop the run. With our defense I think we can win it all. BUT if bennett is starting in the seccg we will lose and then no playoffs, wouldnt win anyways with SB @ QB. Just facts on that one.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, "every offensive Lineman for BAMA will play in the League" and so will Devonte Smith and Jaylen Waddle next year and probably their new kid in a couple of years, to go along with their last year's 1st round picks Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs. THeir QB(TUa) and Najee could have come out this year but will next and be a top 40 pick. Their present QB will be at least a second round pick whenever he comes out. Does anyone see a problem here besides me?

Supposedly we are recruiting on par with BAMA? If so, then something is amiss or else we have gone after the wrong top talent. This shows just how much we have missed out on the top skill positions. And let's not forget Pickens was a last second change of mind and God only knows what was going through his mind in that moment.

BAMA will have had 2 - 1st round WR in back to back years taken in the draft. Heck even Hurts who lost his job to Tua was taken in the 2nd round (I believe).

So, all OL go to the League along with all their present starting receiving corps(Top round drafts) and their QB(Jones)at some point(at least a 2nd rounder).

So, tell me what it takes to have a NC offense? Do we currently have it? Did we have it last year? Honestly?

CKS (as much as I love UGA) will not take this team to the NC this year. We simply don't have the talent on the offense-period! Najee is better than all our backs. What CKS must do is identify his QB for next year. Play everybody! Game experience. Let the chips fall where they may. And don't just depend on the guy coming next year(Vandergriff). Identify a guy this year for next. That's what happened for BAMA, albeit through an injury to Tua. They had a talented plug and play ready to go..

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2020

Overall, our team is fine if we want to continue to be a very good football team but not an elite football team. Our defense played a good game in the first half and a so-so game in the 2nd half. They got torched by Bama's wide receivers when all was said and done. Clemson would probably do the same thing to our secondary. I don't consider that acceptable if we want to get to a Natty. However, 3 interceptions just puts our defense at a disadvantage and asks them to do more. Would the game results have been different if we hadn't thrown those interceptions? Who knows. We've led Bama 3 times in 3 different games and winded up losing all three. Blame can be shared in all aspects of the games.

And does anyone realize this was only Mac Jones's 7th start? " Jones meanwhile threw for 417 yards and four touchdowns. Neither Joe Burrow or Tua Tagovailo put up those kind of numbers against the Georgia defense." Saban just keeps churning out the talent. Simply amazing.

As an aside...Burrows was just an average QB (maybe not even average) before last season. LSU changed their offense to take advantage of his strengths. He blossomed in a brand new offense at LSU. He didn't even look like the same QB we had seen before. Fields blossomed last year at OSU under a first year head coach in a brand new offense with virtually no previous game experience at Georgia. Kirby probably has the talent within his (4) QBs to do the same. But can he? We need more than a game manager to take over at QB. Let's see if he can figure it out. Is Bennett the guy to take us to the promised land? I don't know. If Kirby sticks with Bennett we will see soon enough...

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not worried about Florida's offense against our defense. Trask is a good QB but he doesn't have TWO receivers AND a running back anywhere on par with what Alabama has. That makes the difference. Everyone keeps talking about a better pass rush. Our pass rush against 'Bama wasn't all that bad. It SEEMED like we weren't getting a rush because their receivers are so good that they're open within two steps off the line (or they will be) thus allowing Jones to release the ball quicker. In addition, when he does release the ball, he is extremely accurate, so plays that other QBs might miss on, he doesn't miss. And even if he does, Waddle and Smith and even their third receiver, are so fast, they can often catch up to what might be an overthrow for other receivers. Alabama is just on a different level right now. Them and Clemson. UGA will talk about adjustments here and there and about communicating better. Yes, that might help but it's not like Alabama is just over there in Tuscaloosa resting on their laurels either. They're making adjustments, too, and will make more if necessary. That's why Saban is Saban. We have a good football team. Perhaps even a great football team at some point. But at the moment, as hard as it might be for many Dawg fans (of which I'm one) to accept, Alabama just has a better team. There's no shame in that. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Devonte Smith is a freaking beast. HE will make the adjustments and catch everything thrown at him even if covered like a blanket(rare). It doesn't matter. Time UGA started getting some speed demon beasts for receivers. How can BAMA have them stockpiled?