Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart on JT Daniels: 'His mobility is getting better'

SystemSystem Posts: 10,421 admin
edited October 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart on JT Daniels: 'His mobility is getting better'

Georgia football has competition at the quarterback position with JT Daniels, Stetson Bennett, D'Wan Mathis and Carson Beck

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“And then offense, we can’t get in a boat race where we’re trying to outscore people.”

We're already in that situation when playing teams like 'Bama and Clemson. We did it versus Oklahoma; we need to be able to do it again.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I interpreted that to mean he wants his offense to be able to control the ball and keep it away from strong opposing offenses, while putting up the necessary points. If I'm not mistaken, he's said on numerous occasions that he's all for generating explosive plays. I just think his instinct is to avoid letting it turn into a basketball game.

• Options
    vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just don't see us winning the SEC with Stetson Bennet as our starting QB. Our defense was exposed by the Alabama offense and while I think we can clean a lot of that up and not throwing three picks will help, we still will have to have the ability to score fast and often at times. I just don't think Bennet is that guy and I don't know if Daniels is, but if Bennet really is the best QB on our roster, I think our ceiling is SEC East champions at best.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Clemson and Bama and Ohio St will not be saying "we just can't get into a boat race." They will light you up as fast as possible. Your job is to try to stop them if you can. Big if. We couldn't stop LSU last year and we had a dang good defense. We could'nt stop Bama this year. and we had supposedly the best defense in the Nation. Sure the turnovers helped . BAMA had 300 yards in the 1st half though. Before the last 2 turnovers. They had mercy and ran out the clock out on us instead of embarrassing us even more later in the game. , like Spurrier would have done., but they could have scored more. Our DB's were literally holding on for dear life.

Look at what happened in the NC game last January. CLemson's defense came out and threw everything they had at LSU while the Clemson offense went up early, but LSU never wavered in their approach. They knew deep inside no one could stop them, and sure enough they flipped the game upside down by half time no one doubted who would win. Clemson's defense was top 2 or 3 in the nation. LSU score 42.

Unless you are building one for the ages on defense you just have to be able to throw up 40 points against the top teams in the nation.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby talks in riddles and will never tell you exactly what is going on in that head of his. Kind of like.........Saban.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"You’ve got to go out and compete and play, and we actually did some things better than we’ve done in other games, we’re just doing it against a lot better competition,” he said. Bennett's Mailman status may be coming to an end. If UGA cannot compete with the higher elite level schools, as Kirby intimated in this article...then what? End of season UGA has to win SEC East to even get another try at Bama who will win the SEC West. UGA should at least win the East, Bama will be all that much more ready, as will UGA. Another but better game from UGA this time must prevail. KY is playing over its head...I do not believe they can stay with UGA. But KY will be in it now that UGA has been beaten...fortunately by a team out of the East conference. Kirby talks coach speak ..we really do not know yet which UGA team will show up against KY. Hopefully...much improved UGA on both sides of the ball ..in front of JT Daniels. Must see firsthand what he is capable of in real time. Stets cannot beat a Bama yet. JT Daniels needs to ply his trade against KY. Coach keeps telling us the brace is off...he is cleared...practicing hard ,so why the bench? I know he has Bennett's skills and then some...especially with deep down field and across field sky burners...accurately. Stets is very good at quicker throws but not bombs! At least two interceptions last Sat. and where is his patented rush. Even CKS said he remained in the pocket too long.?? ! "What is CKS's "brand of football" now? Sounds like back to basic grind it out, chopping wood, with the RBs. I feel UGA must have balance. If CKS demands more running from the backs...Monken won't be around in 2021. Neither will his Air Raid approach. Kirby has some tough decisions to make as to where UGA's program is really heading. Hopefully a well balanced attack. CKS has to start JT! KY good starter, IMO!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“I interpreted that to mean he wants his offense to be able to control the ball and keep it away from strong opposing offenses, while putting up the necessary points. If I'm not mistaken, he's said on numerous occasions that he's all for generating explosive plays. I just think his instinct is to avoid letting it turn into a basketball game.”

That’s a fair point.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not having spring hurt, figure it out, coach.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“And then offense, we can’t get in a boat race where we’re trying to outscore people,” he said. “We have to play our brand of football and help Stetson with the people around him, is probably the No. 1 thing.”

I get it, but at the same time I think the successful teams take defense and offense independently and want the best from each. I would agree that Clemson putting 73 on GA Tech was excessive, but really that's what you do. You go out there with your offense like a bat out of hell, play like you are playing in the NC and then when you get a big lead you put in your backups and get game time for them and push the same philosophy. Should you get more points while your 2nd and then 3rd string players are in there then that's great.

I also am concerned that while he says the competition is open he still says comments like "help Stetson" in the future tense. That seems to imply that he intends to go with Bennett UNLESS something else happens.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't want us to be in a scoring boat race either Coach, but with what I saw in the second half against

Alabama, UGA doesn't have to worry about races. The first half the Dawgs played competitive football, they even had the lead at the half. We had one scoring chance the whole second half, and whiffed on a field goal attempt. Could you have at least tried a different QB the second half. I'm concerned about all the balls batted down at the line of scrimmage, can you at least roll Bennett out, either left or right where he should have clearer throwing lanes.