Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart re-opens QB competition, won't commit to starting Stetson Bennett at Missouri

2»

Comments

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't like our options on the potential outcomes.... 1) If Daniels, or Beck by extension, come in and work out better, then CKS is a worse surveyor of talent and/or stubborn beyond repair 2) If they both are just are not that good, which is very likely, then we have a room full of inadequate QBs. So either way is troubling.

• Options
    Topdawg2002Topdawg2002 Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

Its sad the kid had to get hurt before he reopen the competition for qb.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah, I think that SBIV's injury was perfectly timed for CKS to back off his choice for starter and save some face. If Bennet does wagon wheel his arm in between plays after that hit and never goes back to the locker room, I am not sure that CKS would have made any statements regarding change.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cannot in my wildest dreams see a world where JT doesn't show up in practice as well as SB and DW. All you have to do is watch the above highlights and scratch your head.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Daniels video highlights confirm he has the arm, but the repaired wheel might be hindering, and we simply don't know yet if he has the necessary processing speed. But can we have a few of those USC receivers, as well??

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank goodness. I, too, believe Kirby is going to make a change. I think he's talking for the kids actually. He already KNOWS Bennett won't be able healthy enough to get quality (and quantity) practice snaps. And he's seen from Mathis that he can't get the job done, so he's really left with no choice but to give Daniels a chance. And who knows, Daniels could be WORSE than either Bennett or Mathis. But Dawg Nation wants to at least see for themselves. And if not him, try Beck. Maybe he falls flat on his face, too, but again, we'll know. And perhaps more importantly, those kids and the rest of the team will know. But let's say Daniels does well, or even just OK. Now you can get him some valuable experience for the rest of this year and that would set up an interesting off-season battle between him, Beck and Vandagriff for the starting job in 2021. I hope he's healthy enough to play and can stay upright. The O-Line has played pretty well. As even Kirby acknowledged, our QB's haven't been getting sacked or even hit. They've just been missing their targets. If the line can keep doing that, then perhaps a more accurate passer will bring about improvement. It would also help if we could get Pickens back and keep the other WR's from getting hurt. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I did read on another website today that JT's knee repair wasn't a good one. Insinuating that his knee is OK to play(it's healed) but the repair itself wasn't up tp spec. He isn't the same guy he was before with his legs. Another rumor I know but it sort of make sense if he just isn't mobile anymore.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THANK YOU! It's really really nice to hear some specifics about this. I would love to hear more about Beck, but my guess is just that he has a lot to learn before he's ready.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, theoretical question. Lets say JT comes in and just lights things on fire and starts looking like a big time player. Does Smart get fired for not allowing him to try and compete against our 2 toughest opponents which could've given us a real chance at the SEC Championship game and beyond??