Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Auburn fires head coach Gus Malzahn

SystemSystem Posts: 10,541 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageAuburn fires head coach Gus Malzahn

A third annual opponent for Georgia has parted ways with its head coach, as Auburn made the decision to fire Gus Malzahn on Sunday. The Tigers went 6-4 this season, finishing with a win over Mississippi State. Auburn began the season ranked in the top-10 but finished with losses to Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have been hard on Smart at times, but one of things I admire about the UGA program is our consistency. UGA is a consistent winning program (have been for years) and our coaches rarely make news via their actions or the things they say. I will continue to have high expectations on Smart & the program, but hope he stays with us for a long time. It means we are consistently winning at a high level. And hopefully, we can win a natty sometime soon in the process.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hope they already have their guy. Hope he doesn't want our rb coach fo oc...

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

$21+ million dollar buy out..half in 30 days...buy me out anytime. Malzahn must be smiling. He left a winning coach as well...but had suffered of late. He was not a recruiter! I don't see Freeze leaving just yet.....maybe Napier....ahhh....maybe not. Mario Cristobal of Oregon...why would he leave? Kev Steele....reason? I have no idea. But at that kind of buy out I would have to seriously consider the job if I were any of these coaches. These pay outs are ridiculous. College football is the biggest of businesses these days for sure. You win "consistently at the highest level" or you hit the road Jack...at least at Auburn.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Made out like a bandit, now he can go and get another million dollar a year opportunity. Who says it doesn't pay to be mediocre. Good to get paid on potential and not results.

• Options
    nickpnickp Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

$21 million dollar buyout is one heck of a parting gift

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

He should run for the other U.S. Senate seat from Alabama ...

• Options
    BullDawg88888BullDawg88888 Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

Wow, so that makes half (7) of all SEC football coaches fired and replaced in two years.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder how long it takes for Auburn to name Freeze as their next coach.

I doubt Auburn would let Gus go without already having his replacement in hand.

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ever since earlier this season, I was wondering if Gus would be able to do enough to hold on his job. I knew it would be tough, but I had hoped he would and drag the Auburn program further down. 😁

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

With this, it means all of our annual opponents except Kentucky have changed head coaches since Kirby Smart became our head coach.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Firing a coach during such a whacky year as a result of the pandemic seems somewhat petulant on behalf of Auburn's AD. Good luck with who ever they find to replace him - probably Freeze in typical Auburn fashion.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I suspect The Barn will try to hire Freeze. If Freeze is serious about reforming his ways then he will stay away from The Barn and their culture. Otherwise I guess it would be a perfect match kind-of like when The Barn hired Bruce Pearl.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very true, especially with the early signing period just a few days away.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hear that the University of Anchorage needs a HC.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

Rumor has it that Muschamp and Mason are looking for work!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As long as they don't get Urban Cryer, I'm OK.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" In June, Auburn estimated that the pandemic had cost the university $27 million. (That number has assuredly grown since then.) As a result, the school said it was imposing “cost-saving measures” for the 2020-21 academic year that included an elimination of annual merit pay increases and deferring projects. But remember: tough times never touch the football program at places like Auburn.

Because Malzahn, who never had a losing record at the school, had the temerity to go 6-4 in a 10-game SEC schedule. Four teams in the SEC have a better record than 6-4: Alabama (10-0), Texas A&M (7-1), Florida (8-2) and Georgia (7-2). Over Malzahn’s eight seasons, Auburn has the fourth-best record in the SEC, behind only Alabama, Georgia and LSU. The Tigers also join those three as the only teams to win the league title in the past eight seasons.

That’s pretty good. But not good enough at a school that has a case of TDS: Tide Derangement Syndrome "

-Pat Forde, Sports Illustrated