Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 things: Ohio State, Notre Dame conquer SEC image in controversial CFP Rankings

SystemSystem Posts: 10,448 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
image3 things: Ohio State, Notre Dame conquer SEC image in controversial CFP Rankings

The SEC has been college football's powerhouse conference but on Sunday Ohio State and Notre Dame trumped that image and made it into the CFP

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent article, Mike.

The committee certainly didn't pick the four best teams nor go by the standards they've told us matter.

Notre Dame? Really?

Ohio State is marginal but Notre Dame is a travesty. Clemson could have beaten 'em by 75 points.

The weak ACC was rewarded big time. The strong SEC was screwed.

On the other hand, Notre Dame will suffer a second beat down which is always fun to watch. It's not so much that I hate Notre Dame but I certainly hate the media's Notre Dame and THE Ohio State University fanboys.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m sick about 2 things.

1) having to watch another team play in the seccg was brutal!

2) Notre Dame getting into the playoff is a joke. Also, Ohio state getting in after 6 games..... come on! If I’m TAMU or Cincy I’m side ways. The playoff committee messed this one up.

the only good thing that may come is possibly increasing the number of seats in the playoff.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only way we get past this garbage of a playoff system is to expand to eight teams--Power 5 conference champs and three at large conference champs. There would be enough controversy in the 3 at large to satisfy the self-serving media desire for it. I know, I know--this is a pandemic playoff. But it's not that different from other years where we scratch our heads at the CFP committee's reasoning.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options

Oh yes, one more thing--Ohio State should not be in the playoff with their body of work. It is a competitive advantage for them over other teams who played a full schedule and are more beat up.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A&M lost to Alabama on October 3rd (second game) | Notre Dame was just embarrassed by Clemson on December 19th (last game)

Face it: The poo bahs on the Committee wanted to see Alabama and ND play. Now Notre Dame gets to have their rear ends handed to them again. This is a national semi-final game for a national title and the opening line is 17.5 points. It's a joke.

Either open up the playoffs or stop pretending it's working. It's also leading to players who've forgotten all that their school has done for them quitting on their brothers because, in their small world, the bowl game just "don't matter, bro." Time to get some rays and prep for the big show. It's ME time for these dudes. Apparently, if you're not playing for the title, no need to play at all.

At least in the FCS, you get to settle it on the field. The FBS Committee, on the other hand, is made up of fan boys.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Strength of schedule. Body of work. How many teams have you beat. None of that was applied because none of it was in Ohio States favor.

What do you look like down the stretch. How did you finish. Did you win your conference championship? Here's looking at you Notre Dame...

No risks, no reward. Some things just don't apply when you're Ohio State. A&M just won more games in a row than than Ohio St has even played.

At least in the SEC, you have to earn it. It must be boring to already know that almost no matter what, you're team will make next years play-offs. And the year after, and the year after...

Texas A&M just got screwed!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, the solution would be the application of valid and consistent reasoning in the selection process. Expansion would do nothing to address the root source of any and all potential controversy - the fact that there will always be a cutoff. What it will do, though, is diminish what has always been the most exciting and entertaining regular season in sports. If they expanded the playoff next year, we'd still be having this same conversation, airing grievances and wondering how they could have possibly included or left out team x or y. That is, unless they actually applied a sound methodology in their selections. And if they can do that with 3 (wild card) teams, they can do it with 4.

I can see the writing on the wall. I know I'm fighting a losing battle here. When it inevitably happens, I'll still try to see the good in it, because what else can I do? But I do think it's a bad idea.

• Options
    SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Regretfully Predictable"

I am glad we are not A&M, just think how disappointed we all would be right now. It is a Travesty!!!!

I said it yesterday, I believed, by eye test and stats, that the 4 Best Teams as of today - 1. Bama, 2. Clemson, 3. A&M, 4 Oklahoma. I guess it can be argued that I am swayed by my personal negative feelings towards Independents, lack of games played and the roll media plays in all of this. But, I am not trying to do that, so, take your shots at me, I could be wrong, but Mike was willing to at least put it in writing, so I am doing the same - This is not what we asked for when we got rid of the BCS and all of that computer generated, media driven BS.

We got a commitee that plays favorites and changes their "requirements" to fill their narrative. What a crock of crapola!

The fix is not an 8 games playoff, unless they are willing to change the regular season schedule and make every team play at least one game from each power 5 conference. Maybe it happens and Maybe it doesn't - but they are screwing up a really great thing! BTW they are following in the NFL's footsteps, which is a dumb thing to do, because that league is not gaining viewers but losing them.

Here I go, hoping again that "they do what is right" for us, rather than doing something that is predictably $$$$ driven.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

Maybe after seeing how this was handled, Sankey poo poo’s the next time they call for conference only Shinanagins. The top three teams in the sec would easily win by 2 td’s over the number 3 and 4 selection.

the members need to think about that.

here’s to hoping Notre Dame and Ohio State getting embarrassed. I’m talking about getting whipped by 4 td’s embarrassed.

• Options

There are too many variables and too many agendas to corrupt a four team playoff. 5 conference champs would be slotted by their actual games, not someone’s opinion.

I disagree that games would be diminished if we went to such a playoff. Every game counts—every game is important until you play your way to mathematical elimination.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Two things were obvious this season. One, the SEC was, is, & will remain in a class by itself. In my opinion, the CFP would be better off with 4 SEC teams or 3 SEC teams & Clemson. Two, college football & the remainder of the conferences are a hot mess.

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with most posters that Notre Dame clearly played itself out of the playoff last night. Their talking point of having beaten Clemson (depleted by COVID-19) earlier in the season is a pitiful argument a newly appointed public defender might try and run by a judge on behalf of his deadbeat client. An argument can easily be made against Ohio State and their lack of games, schedule, and poor showing in their championship game. I'm struggling to get upset overall, since the playoffs are merely an invitation to have your asses handed to you by Bama and Clemson. A&M, Oklahoma, and Cincinnati would all be crushed if they were allowed in. Can anyone, please UGA, go out and knock these guys off their perch and close the gap between these two and everyone else?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Automatic bids present their own issues. Ok, you're reducing human judgment involved. But then you're opening the door for a generally undeserving team that happened to win the right game(s) being invited to play for a championship. Which brings us back to the point about diminishing the regular season. If you know before the season even begins that any number of teams can lose multiple games and all still be in the conversation, that already dilutes the significance of any given week's results, compared to a more exclusive process. Obviously there is still something to play for until a team is clearly (can't say mathematically because the system you propose would still involve a deliberative selection) eliminated, but there would objectively be fewer moments throughout the season when that could occur - which is what I mean by diminishing the regular season.

• Options

Undeserving team getting in...like Ohio State this year? Or Notre Dame in other years?

About the regular season, how would an 8 team playoff change anything? If you’re worried about teams knowing how many losses they can absorb and still get into the championship, look at the SEC now. In the SECE that would be one or two losses every year. Is the regular season diminished because of that?

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Alabama has gotten in with one loss and without winning its division. As long as Saban draws a breath, Bama is in. That is one playoff spot locked down. Clemson locks down a second spot annually by cakewaking through the All Cupcake Conference. Norte Dame...just follow the money. If the playoff committee can make even the flimsiest justification, the Irish are in. That leaves the rest of D-1 playing for one, maybe two spots and that’s not even factoring in Ohio State and the weak as water B1G. Expand to six team playoff with the first two seeds getting byes so very legitimate contenders are not left out. That would add just one game if a three through six team made it to the NC game.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah, it's bullcrap. Every conference, i.e Big Ten, ACC, was looking out for themselves and changing the rules to suit their needs. There is no way Iowa State should have been ranked #6 and now Oklahoma,,... seriously. Seriously, the only real football team in the ACC is Clemson, otherwise its a glorified mid-level football conference. Texas A&M may not be as flashy and pumped up by the sports media as Notre Dame, as well as a few other glorified teams, but they should be ranked higher than #5. The college football rankings are a political and money base motivated platform. It's even more evident in this crazy chaotic year. It's time the let go of this old systerm of rankings, recruiting and even the playing field. The rich is only getting richer with the same old teams playing year after year for a championship. Lets put a limit on the number of top recruits a team can sign and expand the playoff field. The current system will only hurt the future of the sport. The world is changing, why not college football.

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Asking for a friend....Is there a plan in case one of the playoff teams has to bow out due to a Covid outbreak? Will it be a forfeit? Next team move up? Shuffle other bowls around?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We can debate this ad nauseum until the cows come home....it's just another year where it shows the playoff itself is a joke! Unless they expand it to include more teams then we will have these kind of debates almost every year. The lack of consistent games caused some teams to play more than others. Personally, I don't think Ohio State should be in the Final 4 simply based on their lack of resume this year, but you could convince me that Notre Dame still belongs. Expand the playoffs to 6 or 8 teams and make it better!!

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

At least we didn't lose a game because some athlete threw a shoe.