Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

REPORT: South Carolina joins Tennessee as SEC football bowl game opt-outs

SystemSystem Posts: 10,438 admin
edited December 2020 in Article commenting
imageREPORT: South Carolina joins Tennessee as SEC football bowl game opt-outs

Former Georgia QB and assistant Mike Bobo might have been in the middle of South Carolina opting out of its bowl game against UAB

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm so confused by all of this. SC was going to a bowl game? Uh, what? At 2-8 in a pandemic year this bowl game was going to happen? I also don't see what the problem is with Bobo's quote. He referenced the players' right to decide individually if they want to play. If enough of them decided either to play or not to, then participating or opting out as a team would have taken care of itself. There would have been no sense in taking it away from the ones who did want to play, assuming there would have been enough of them to do so. And if there weren't, then that would have served as a de facto team vote. I'm getting the sense that there was something else about Bobo that irked the players. Even still, I don't know why the quote would have bothered Mandel for days.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2020

Army, who finished the season at 9-2 has been left out due to other teams opting out. They are looking for a game. Certainly, they have more b&lls than than Carolina.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bobo’s quote appears to be somewhat manipulated by Mandale or maybe he’s just that sensitive. I think what Bobo was doing was trying to motivate the players because they are playing in the greatest conference in the country and the SEC players are not quitters. Maybe I’m interpreting Bobo’s remarks incorrectly but I think one of the reasons SC hasn’t done any better is because maybe they don’t have the SEC mentality of the upper tier teams and have that Vandy mentality as quitters.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Neither South Carolina or Tennessee deserve to be in a bowl, period. There are too many worthless bowls - like I think there are more than 30 bowl games during a normal season. WAY too many. I know it's all about money, but if you haven't won at least 7 or 8 games in a season then you shouldn't be in a bowl. Teams that are 6-5 should NOT be in a bowl.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Gunner,

PLEASE reconsider your SC commitment because this doesn’t even slightly resemble the school you joined several months ago. We will forgive you and SC has totally gone to worms. Dump that commitment and join your home state team. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    CTDCTD Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

Tired of the ajc and DN continuing to post that **** photo on every SCU article. Thought this was a UGA site....we don't want that shoved down our throats for the rest of time....geez.

Trying to drive us away from this site huh? Post some photo from the shellacking of this year now. Last year is gone. Stop this anti-UGA stuff....****

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bobo is right.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Makes you wonder if Gunner Stockton reconsiders. Bobo will clearly be out after this season, and there will certainly be changes in SC.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I 100% agree with Bobo's comments. You don't want to play, quit, and it is quitting, but that is an individual decision. If enough quit then that solves the problem but as a player of an SEC team, a conference that is supposed to be the best in the land, you should want that "one more game".

It is the coach's job to have his team prepared to play so I get Bobo. The administration, however, should have stepped in before a player revolt and said "Yeah, we are not deserving of a bowl so no, we're just going to stay home". Instead, they hose another team by quitting at the end.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2020

Carolina in a bowl with 2 worthless wins and Army only gets in with 9 wins after Tennessee opts out of bowl game.. Neither SC or Tenn deserve a bowl game, much less over a 9 win team,regardless of the team, or schedule. Same CLOWNS that voted ohio st and notre dame into the cfp must have had a hand in this total nonsense. All Carolina did was screw a REALLY deserving team that earned a bowl game. There are several deserving teams that are willing to play another game, and give their all to win. Carolina in a bowl with a 2-8 record..same as the school in Columbia..a JOKE

• Options
    edited December 2020

They took the place of a weak Knoxville team that opted out. Army plays WVU in the Liberty Bowl. Utterly ridiculous a non deserving team has to opt out for Army to get a bowl appearance. Was hoping WVU would wax the other Tennessee team and put onion head Pruitt on an even hotter seat..

• Options
    edited December 2020

I couldn't agree more..When I was a younger man, you actually had to have a good team to make it to 1 of the few bowls they had then. Gator, orange, rose, sugar, cotton, peach and a couple more. Now, so many bowls as you stated, a 5 win team in a normal year makes a bowl game. Now, 2 win teams get in, what's next? Enough bowls so EVERY D1 school gets an invite? Again, as you stated in your comment.. It's all about the $$$ now, nothing more.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior