Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football instant observations following epic Peach Bowl win over Cincinnati

SystemSystem Posts: 10,488 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football instant observations following epic Peach Bowl win over Cincinnati

Georgia needed a big play to stage a comeback. And it turned to walk-on kicker Jack Podlesney as he made a career-long 53-yarder to boot Georgia to a 24-21 win over the Cincinnati Bearcats. The Bulldogs got the ball with 1:28 remaining and drove to the Cincinnati 36 yard line thanks to a series of catches from Kenny

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

went from lackluster to blockbuster

what a win for the books

• Options
    SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Typical Connor writing. "Smart will very likely have to answer some tough questions after the decision." <-- This falsehood is the first thing you focus on? Really? And Smart is the head coach! He does not answer to you or anyone else reading your tripe. You are so predictable and pathetic. Georgia played Cincinnati's best team in the history of their school and also fought some questionable penalities to win! And you focus on the head coach's decision. UGA won! The season is over. And luckily, I can walk away from DawgNation writers like you and Mike.

• Options
    SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Also, "two instances of situational football where Daniels couldn’t come up with the play"! Really....and JT is now over hyped?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

I said all week the keys to this game were A) who controls the line of scrimmage B) containing Ridder and C) turnovers

All three of those things proved to be the difference in the overall play and outcome of the game.

Our remade defense who really stepped it up to both contain and pressure Ridder was the difference maker in this game. On offense, we couldn't run the football or control the line of scrimmage, and honestly, JT Daniels is not a good enough QB to make up the difference. If we had been able to effectively run the ball then this game would have been probably lopsided in our favor. But credit the Bearcats for being a tenacious competitor and Fickell is a very good coach.

Despite the Polesny kick wonderful outcome, I still disagree with Kirby and would have gone for it on 4th and 3 with 3 minutes left in the game. On Cincinnati's next possession, we had to use all our timeouts which left so little time to march into field goal range. Kirby took a big chance and by luck won in the end. Kudos to the unbelievable play of our defensive front and Polesny.

I wasn't impressed with Daniels, and overall I think he's got a ways to go to prove to me he can be an elite QB. Too many mistakes, staring down receivers, and many inaccurate throws. He did pull a few short check down throws out of his rear in the end to keep the final drive going, but other than that he just had numerous Hail Mary passes throughout the game were just that....Hail Marys and 50-50 balls. WHY? What happened to the short and intermediate vertical passes? We'd better be taking a good look at both Beck and Vandergriff in the Spring.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A lot to work on, Cincinnati, came to play. Good game.

• Options
    Louis8478Louis8478 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

It took a while for the defense to wake up but Cincy had a good game plan. Seems like Stevenson was targeted early in the game. Overall, good game against a really good Cincy team.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I do question JT Daniel's arm strength and it is obvious he has no wheels. If we are ever to return to being a National Championship contender, we will need more than that at the helm.

Defensively, we were "lights out" after Cincy's first second half series.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Epic"? For a team with what, a handful or less of 4* athletes, going up against all these 5* and 4*, and Ga had to kick a mile long fg at the end to win. Not the word I would use. "Lucky" is probably the better word.

Think about this, if Cincy would of ran the ball on that 3rd down, would Ga of even had enough time to get in fg range?

Not being able to run the ball, really hurt. Missing Trey Hill, had to be huge. The calls at the line had to be a problem. Haven't watched it yet, but I will, when my heart rate goes down some. Too many times the ball was on the field, too many turnovers. One in the redzone and the other near it. So is it possible that Ga could of scored more points? Yeah, it's possible. But coulda, shoulda, woulda isn't going to win a NC.

Against what I'm guessing was a very mobile qb, the defense figured it out, almost too late,but did. 8 sacks, very impressive. But shouldn't that be expected with the talent gap? Here we go, 3 months of no UGA football or so.

GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I find it funny how some are criticizing Kirby for not going for it. His defense was playing dominating ball. He has an all American type kicker. He made the call and it worked!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why do you have the mizzou score on the headlines?

Dont dish on JT. They had a great game plan and he still had nearly 400 yards passing.

Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

I say again, kickers win games.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

For a month all I've seen & heard is that JT is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now after a tough game against one of the best defenses in the country where he leads the team on the game winning drive behind a totally new offensive line, all of a sudden he has no arm strength & is not the QB to lead the Dawgs to a title???

I was in school during the championship years 80-84 & have had the Dooley-Munson pessimism disease since my first day on campus. With that said, based on how this game transpired, it will be used as JT Daniels springboard to lead the Dawgs to a 15-0 record and the SEC and national titles in 2021.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ll take an **** Win over a pretty loss any day. As time wears on stats grow very dusty and the only real thing that matters is who won and who loss. OK I may be about to come under attack from many of my fellow Dawgs fans. But keep in mind this is just my humble opinion. I’ve seen some rather harsh comments about JT Daniels on here. Well he threw for 391 yds today. I’d just like to respectfully and I mean that, no sarcasm here of some things 1) JT had been out of football for almost 2 years. 2) Several big schools were interested in him but As I Understand It he never even looked around he bee lined to UGA. 3) According to his Dad he Really Was unable to come in any earlier. 4) COVID throwed Everything out of kelter for everyone But the QB position is even more important . He didn’t have much Quality practice time at all 5) This was only his 4th game at UGA. Not exactly what you’d call allot of time and learning a new system . 6) I love Stet as a person and a Dawg. I think Stet is a DGD. But anyone that failed to see the improvement after JT came in was watching a different Dawgs team 😀 In summary I believe JT CAN and WILL get better Especially if some of the normalcy returns to CFB like Real & Full Spring Training & a G Day game which I know is a glorified scrimmage but it helps train. I think some Dawgs fans are giving up way to early on JT. Yes I to am Very Very excited to see Brock coming. And I hope KS will continue to have a very zealous QB competition . I want ALL of our QBs to excel . But For Me I’m believing that we have Yet To See the best of JT Daniels and given more normal circumstances I believe he will do Really Really well at UGA. Maybe even take the Dawgs to a Natty and Win It !! But I’ve been wrong before. We’ll see !! God Bless & Protect You All !! And from me and my family to you and yours we hope you have a Great 2021 !!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Talent eventually won out. Our Defensive rotation finally wore down their O-Line. They were beat. On the flip side their D-line dominated our O-Line, we couldn't run squat and JT was harassed virtually every time he went back, crying shame. Our defensive backs were again looking like they were playing Prevent early on, but with pressure in the 2nd half they played better. Without Stokes we don't have a shutdown D-back.

IMHO Cincy's coach did more with less than CKS. They very nearly pulled it off.. They were hungrier and more motivated, just less talented. We're still not Alabamaesque. Still waiting for CKS to do something that says we're one of the BIg Boys.

Win was great, beats losing. Happy for the guys. Just an underwhelming performance to get dominated on the offensive line of scrimmage.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

"EPIC" win!!! Really!!! This was a win by the skin of our teeth to a completely overmatched opponent. This game should not have been close. Is there even a single player on Cincinnati's roster that UGA would even consider recruiting??? Podlesny doesn't make that kick and these boards read completely different. As a so frequently comment on these boards - WWACD????

What Would Alabama & Clemson DO????

Hopefully, some young players got some valuable playing time, but the coaching continues to be the weak link given all the talent at their disposal.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The edit on here made it look like I posted something **** in my first sentence. The word was u g l y That’s not exactly profanity . Wish they would fix this. But I’m very thankful for DawgNation. Least it’s free and we can come here and talk all things Dawgs.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2021

4th and 3? You go for it with only 3 minutes left. Disagree completely with you...we had to use all our timeouts on the subsequent possession by the Bearcats...but luck won out and I'll take it. Kirby was lucky.

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2021

I still haven't heard an explanation of why after the personal foul at the end of the first half and targeting call that the next snap was second and two instead of second and 17.