Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Multiple Georgia defensive assistants tied to Texas, Oregon openings

SystemSystem Posts: 10,536 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageMultiple Georgia defensive assistants tied to Texas, Oregon openings

Two weeks after Georgia's season had come to an end, the Bulldogs have yet to make any staff changes. But it might not stay that way for long. According to a report from Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports, Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning has emerged as "the favorite" for the defensive coordinator opening at Texas.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

'Tis the way of college football...really not any kind of surprise...teams have to learn to adjust...the best coaches and teams are pretty used to this kind of thing.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

Money "usually" decides these moves, so if he leaves, it is for the money. One thing I would consider if I were Lanning would be the possibility of UGA making a national championship run. We have a great year and Lanning can make his stock go up more and become an even hotter commodity, thus more money. Let's face it, UGA's defense will always be Smart's defense, no matter who they hire. I like that because Smart is a really good defensive coach.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would take a hard pass on MusChump. He's a ticking time bomb.

Plus as a proud UGA graduate I will never forgive the disparaging remarks Chump made about UGA while trying to ingratiate himself with the uf and usc(e) fan bases. In other you don't spit on the American flag and then get an invitation to the White House.

Just my 2 cents.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sark is paying Flood about $1M with increases over 3 years. So he is going to give Lanning more the $1.25M? If Lanning needs the $$ but is Texas better than UGA since they are rebuilding? Lanning could stay another year or so and be offered a head job..... Texas Hype Train is moving fast!!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Muschamp was a good DC, and would be an interesting prospect, but employing such a close friend would bring in some possible negative dynamics.

But chances are that Lanning and Schumann won't both be leaving. If either remains the defense will be in good hands.

If both left, I would like to see Smart make a run at Derek Mason. Wouldn't that be something. But its likely too late now.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Lanning interviewing is probably his way of telling UGA and Kirby, hey, I need a raise.

Even if he is serious about going to Texas, Georgia will be fine moving forward. I’m not opposed to a Muschamp hire but I’m also not a proponent of it either. I’m not sure he and Kirby would gel as both are kind of geared the same way. I definitely think Shu would be a good one.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stay and improve the D and help win a Natty or at least get in the playoffs and set yourself up for a HC position in 2022. Seems like the most reasonable path. Go to Texas and the defense stumbles and your stock takes a hit. You know what you get here. Duh!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 363 ✭✭✭ Junior

lateral move...It has to be all about the Benjamins$$$$$

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, if there isn't anyone better to hire as a DC I would be surprised. He is good and young and charismatic, but we haven't been lights out. And we've had some awesome talent to pool from.