Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia basketball off target in South Carolina, falls 83-59

SystemSystem Posts: 10,493 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia basketball off target in South Carolina, falls 83-59

Georgia basketball found itself in a shooting slump at South Carolina, and the Gamecocks took full advantage in getting the win

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's really pathetic that a place with all the money and resources like UGA can't field a half decent basketball team. Others do more with less. So why is UGA mired in this kind of dreck year after year? I thought Crean was a guy who would get it done, but these guys have no clue. Can you not find one shooter in the entire country? It defies logic. And Defense is not a word they can even spell let alone execute. What in the world do they practice during the week? SC isn't even good.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    ATDATD Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm surprised it took this long for teams to force Georgia to the perimeter. One of the ugliest shooting basketball teams I've ever seen. To borrow a word for Charles Barkley, they are "turrible".

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tom Crean needs to find a good point guard who can handle and take care of the ball. Find at least two outside shooters that can show consistency. Then find players who can defend and be aggressive on the back end. That's is lot to ask for, but if he don't...Georgia will never make the dance. They can only win games outside the SEC and that is with small schools.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mark Fox took over a 9 win team and got them to 14. In his second year he got them to 21. Tom Crean took over an 18 win team and well, we all see it, but what is it? Why is it so hard to get highly talented kids in a basketball rich state like Georgia to play for the state school? The athletic department has more money than the GNP of some underdeveloped countries so we should lack nothing in facilities and the ability to pay coaches. How does Bruce Pearl and other SEC schools get most of the top kids in Georgia seemingly every year.

What kind of offense do we run? It looks like the Harlem Globetrotter weave to start every possession. If we don't score in transition, we don't score much at all. It's hard to watch sometimes almost to the point I would rather watch Loeffler, Warnock, Ossoff, and Perdue ads. Well, no, I take that back.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not to jump too quickly on this wagon, but this might be an area for IMMEDIATE attention by the new UGA AD. And I like Crean, or did. But when you see a team lurching from one extreme to the other, with radically inconsistent results, and particularly no cohesiveness on defense - which you can always play even when your shot's "just not falling" (a bit of an excuse in itself), that's alarming. And almost always because of coaching. These kids are playing basketball at a major conference school so they can obviously play basketball.

Hate to say it - seriously - because Tom Crean is a positive, terrific guy. But this looks like a pick-up team with no coach at all. And no improvement. Losing to FL, OK. Losing to S.C. by 20+. Not okay. A sign that the organism is not well.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Should have hired Jonas Hayes instead. He couldn’t be doing any worse than what we have right now. Pathetic

• Options
    GramsterGramster Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

"I would say they did that because of a lack of respect for our shooting" Uhh, no Tom, lack or respect for shooting has nothing to do with it. More like lack of respect for the UGa offensive coaching scheme...great defensive effort too, while we are at it...only 83 points given up last night should bring the PPG given up average down some...

• Options
    HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike, that was a pathetic effort on defense and the boards. Watch the replay and listen to the announcers in the last 8 minutes or so talk about how our defense would just give up by SC's 4th pass, and the the overall lack of effort. It seemed like a fatal indictment to coaching to me.