Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Gallery: Georgia quarterbacks Gunner Stockton and Brock Vandagriff through the years

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2021 in Article commenting
imageGallery: Georgia quarterbacks Gunner Stockton and Brock Vandagriff through the years

Georgia has now landed 5-star quarterbacks in back-to-back recruiting classes. The Bulldogs signed Brock Vandagriff in the 2021 recruiting class. Kirby Smart and Todd Monken followed that up by landing a commitment from 5-star 2022 quarterback Gunner Stockton on Thursday. The two quarterbacks have crossed paths

Read the full story here

Comments

• LakeSinclairLakeSinclair Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

What are the odds that the Dawgs can keep both of them? Obviously, that's not the trend these days. In 2021, Daniels will start; Vandagriff might be the top backup. In 2022-23, if Vandagriff starts, would Stockton wait two years for his chance? If Stockton gets the start in 2022, surely Vandagriff would have to look at other options. I doubt that either could redshirt because UGA would need one of them as their #2, and because a 5-star QB is usually hoping to declare for the draft after his third season.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff and Gunner Stockton. That would be the top of the QB room to start the 2022 season.

I've seen several UGA fan's acting as if having a stacked QB room is a bad thing. First off, I wouldn't count Beck out for earning the second position to start the 2021 season. Eventually one of those three may well transfer, but that's not a problem. It's a rich mans privilege. Whoever transfers out will be the one who sees himself as the one who's not going to make it.

And, Georgia will simply starting building the depth of the position back up with another stud QB from the 2023 class. Where's the problem with that?

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lake Sinclair, Stockton has stated that he has no problem sitting on the bench until he earns the job. I think he has the right attitude. For comparison, I think Fields came in with a different mindset. Most top rated QB's now days likely feel the same.

What I read from Gunner and his Father seems like he is different and may actually be that rare QB who would wait two years, while taking advantage of the development. That will also depend on the offense, will it rise up to the level of Clemson and Alabama's? If it does, then the 2'nd QB will be able to see the benefit of staying while reaping the benefits of the development. That's what's been happening at Clemson and Alabama. If the offense is good enough, it can also happen at Georgia.

As far as the red-shirt goes, getting to play four games while not losing the year seems like a benefit for a player who thinks he will benefit by staying in the program for it's developmental benefits.

It's very likely that one of the three may well transfer. Maybe even two of them will, but that will mean UGA got to try all three out and has a great chance to wind up with the best out of the bunch. I just don't see the down side...