Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Closer look: Why Georgia couldn't make promises Arik Gilbert needed to hear

SystemSystem Posts: 10,566 admin
edited February 2021 in Article commenting
imageCloser look: Why Georgia couldn't make promises Arik Gilbert needed to hear

Georgia football couldn't make the sort of promises Arik Gilbert needed to choose the Bulldogs over Florida for his transfer destination

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 365 ✭✭✭ Junior

Washington will be enough of a beast at TE, we don't need Gilbert.

• Options
    GramsterGramster Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Did Jamie Newman give you the day off #optOutMike?

• Options
    dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

Would have loved to have Washington. Two TE set with Washington and Gilbert.....NASTY. But UGA has plenty of weapons that have shown they can produce and we will actually have a spring and summer to learn the playbook and get chemistry.

• Options
    BestofBreedBestofBreed Posts: 117 ✭✭✭ Junior

Would have been a luxury you can't turn down because Gilbert is a beast, but we haven't maxed out the studs we have as it is. So I'm fine with it. Let's make sure get Pickens 1000 yards and Washington more than 4 catches before we start drooling over other former 5 stars.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is less than 200 miles difference from Baton Rouge to Marietta than Gainesville to Marietta. So much for the homesick/need to be closer to home angle for NCAA immediate eligibility and in-conference SEC waiver. Gilbert is obviously not enrolled for spring semester at UF which begs the question, what will he be doing while his new teammates are grinding through winter workouts and preparing for spring practice? Sounds like a perfect fit with Mullens...million dollar talent and a ten cent head.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Better that scholarship go go a real Dawg. I'd much rather have someone whose priority is to be a Dawg than have someone who wants to catch as many passes as possible.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good point Mike. Best Wishes to him. We'll be ok.

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

Curious what the real story is regarding his exodus from Baton Rouge. Leaving the opportunity to catch passes from Max Johnson to go to UF with an uncertain QB situation makes little sense to me, regardless of how many targets he gets.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What about all the violations and sanctions coming up against Florida? I guess Gilbert is easly persuaded that is no problem...Gators are above it all. UGA's answer to Gilbert is Washington....he will do just fine. We want real Dawgs not just flamboyant pass-catchers with little to no loyalty.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Honestly, I don't think we had room for Gilbert. Sure he is an outstanding player but we can't distribute the ball around enough now to benefit the studs we have. Georgia is loaded and getting the ball to everybody enough to keep them happy is going to be a task. We need to go hurry up offense the entire game to run enough plays to get more play makers involved.

One thing I can not grasp about Gilbert is that he was the key figure in Coach O's offense. He's already proven himself to fit the system. LSU is going to compete for west this year. Johnson should be even better and Brennan is good enough that he may reclaim the starting qb position, so I'm confused as to why Gilbert wanted out. Homesick could have been the reason. However, if it was then Florida doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Sure it's a little closer but it's not like he is going to be at home anymore than he was when attending LSU. Gilbert is a huge pick up for Florida, I'm just not sure he'll be targeted anymore there than he was with the Tigers. If Emory is the guy, you'll see a lot more RPO's that end up with runs than passes. Also, one of the reason Pitts was so productive outside of his extreme catching ability was that Trask would stay in or move around within the pocket to allow Pitts to drag across the middle and into space, allowing the separation to develop before delivering the ball. E. Jones is not going to be that patient. He's going to tuck it and run when he feels the least little bit of pressure. Thus reducing the tight end targets.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 368 ✭✭✭ Junior

Gainesville by car is a 5 hour trip. The drive to Red Stick is a solid 8 hours. That is a 60% longer trip. He is significantly closer to home at FL.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

As a person who saw most of his game at MHS, I can assure you he is not a 10 cent head! Sure, we all wish Arik would choose UGA, but he is a good kid with a good family!