Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Carson Beck 'stepped up his game' this spring as he competes for backup quarterback role

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageCarson Beck 'stepped up his game' this spring as he competes for backup quarterback role

For all that has been written about the progress redshirt freshman Carson Beck has made this spring, Saturday's G-Day scrimmage was the first time anyone outside of the Georgia football program had seen him throw a pass in a Georgia uniform. After a multi-touchdown performance, it's now easy to see why Beck has

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There were two Carson Beck's...I like the second one a whole lot better. Kirby does too. Far more pocket poise. Crisper and more accurate delivery of the longer ball. Much better confidence. And, he can run if need be. Doing a 180 from last season. Brock V. will have his hands full next year....as Gunner Stockton enters the QB room. I think Carson, if he continues to make such dramatic improvement, will replace JT. Then Brock and Gunner can duke it out for number two. IMO.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Carson Beck has survived his freshman year and has gotten his act together. He is looking like he really wants to be the man to back up Daniels in this run to be champions. He's got a lot of room for improvement, but he has the look of a player who can beat you with his arm or his legs. It's now up to him to see how far he wants to go. I'm really looking forward to his progress. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well now we understand why Beck didn't play more last year, when UGA was desperate for a quarterback and we knew that Beck had more talent than Bennett. Not only was he a little short on the field, but seems like the overriding problems may have been shortcomings off of it, not the least of those being academic issues, according to Kirby Smart. That clears up a lot of things for me. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Although it would've been nice to see more Vandagriff, I appreciate Smart giving Beck much needed reps. I was very irritated and disappointed that Beck didn't get a single play (not even a handoff) in any games last year and clearly he should've.

I'll be re-watching his plays over the upcoming days/weeks before I make final personal judgment, but I believe that he's definitely got potential. Not sure if it's championship level, but we'll see.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For Beck, it seems all from the shoulders up... command of the playbook, and business attitude. Regarding the latter, not all freshman have the maturity of a Jake Fromm who arrive and remain completely dialed in from Day 1. Until college, it came pretty easily for most of these studs. Of course they exercised hard to stay in shape, but the mental side paled by comparison to big-time college ball. If they don't bring that in spades, they better get it quick, as more talent's on the way, and they just might be hungrier. Good for Beck for understanding the gravity and upside of this incredible opportunity. Go Dawgs.