Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following 2021 NFL Draft

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited May 2021 in General
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following 2021 NFL Draft

The 2021 NFL Draft is in the books, with the Georgia Bulldogs having nine players being selected in the draft.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good write up about Newman. On one hand, I try not to rejoice in others misfortune. On the other hand, I don't care for anyone that hurts the UGA program. What you wrote sums up the situation nicely.

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited May 2021

I think the Newman issue actually helped UGA with recruiting...a lot. He went from 1st round/Heisman pre-season hype to undrafted when he opted out. I feel bad for the kid and his family, but its going to be easy to go into a recruits house and say "This is what UGA football brings to the table if you're ready to work, compete and trust the process". And I'd say you can double down on the hype for kids when the NIL is in full effect. If we can get 2 guys in the first half of the 1st round next year, UGA's recruiting machine will be in full tilt for 2023 and beyond.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, I think it was a very successful draft. I've already said my piece about Newman, so no more. This list was kinda a strange one: I was hoping for more of a specific comparison of those who did better and worse. For instance, I know that it wasn't surprising to many based on the end of the year performance, but considering he was considered a "once in a generation player", I thought the former-UGA player Fields was kinda low at 11th.

• I hate to call him a "loser" because he is a DGD, but I was disappointed that Azeez was selected at #50 vs #18 or so anticipated.
    • WINNER: Monty Rice had a draft Average of #131 and wound up #92. Congrats!
    • WINNER: Ben Cleveland had Average #115 and wound up #94. Also Congrats!
    • WINNER: Tre' McKitty had Average of #186 and wound up #97. Wow.
    • WINNER: Mark Webb started 2021 with a ranking over #600 and got selected at #241.
    • NEUTRAL: LeCounte went from < #100 and ended in #187 and wound up #169.
    • NEUTRAL: Trey Hill wound up around the average at #190
  • Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don’t resent Newman for opting out. I resent him for making the decision three weeks before the opener, after taking all the first team reps all year.

If Covid-19 was the reason he didn’t want to play, he could have made that decision in April.