Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Transfer bonanza born from need, Georgia modifying, not changing, program-building strategy

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageTransfer bonanza born from need, Georgia modifying, not changing, program-building strategy

ATHENS — Georgia football coach Kirby Smart is not reinventing the wheel when it comes to talent acquisition, but he is changing with the times.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2021

I have been reading a lot of posts about Georgia having no experienced defensive backs, so they had to use the transfer portal to get players with experience. Now they have those players, so the players they have on the rosters now without the experience still want have the game time experience. If those incoming transfers leave for the NFL, Georgia will be in the same boat next year. Don't say Kirby can play them this season when he should have played those guys some last season to get that experience. I am not a coach, but I know in the military everyone is trained one to two level up. In combat arms, everyone had to know his battle buddy job just in case he went down. I am ok with transfers, but what about giving players you recruited an opportunity. When I read about teams lacking in a position and bring in someone from the outside.... remind me of an organizations that do not promote within or give a person a chance to prove they can do the job without have the years of experience.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

I totally understand your point. I have said this before - in general, I am not a big fan of the transfer portal. BUT, having said that you may have to use the portal if all the other teams are taking advantage of it. Otherwise, you can certainly lose your competitive edge. Obviously for the Dawgs, it has been a potential lifesaver and definite game changer for us in 2021 due to injuries and players moving on.

Talent and game experience are the two most important things you can bring to the table as an elite transfer. Like was mentioned earlier, Kirby doesn't normally try to use the portal unless he really has a need. Transfers do give those younger, inexperienced players more competition when they come in - which is a very good thing. They can learn from each other and improve as they each develop and understand the system. The players coming into elite Power 5 programs know that their window of opportunity to compete for playing time and potential NFL career (for a select few) is fleeting. And honestly, having the luxury of a strong backup in any position should be coveted by both players and coaches, because you want to be able to play multiple players at positions in order to keep everyone as fresh as possible during the season and post-season. You also want to have strong backups in case of injury. So being a backup should not be seen as a bad thing.

But, bottom line is this: for teams competing for Championships, you want to put the best possible team on the field that you can and that will mean that some guys will lose out on starting and also on some playing time. It's the nature of the game, and most of these guys understand that from playing in junior high and high school. If not, then those players can use the transfer portal if they want to try and get more playing time elsewhere.

• Options
    RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also, due to the nature of the pandemic year that the NCAA is allowing as a freeby year, both Turnage and Gilbert are allowed a repeat of their previous seasons - therefore Gilbert is like an incoming freshman and Turnage an incoming sophomore - but with needed prior experience.

• Options
    RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Turnage is a swap for Branch in my mind - filling the void left by his departure.

• Options
    Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I also understand your position and generally agree with it, but I think this was an exceptional case based on a significant need. Ringo is a star waiting and he'll get plenty of PT this year, but we need guys who are ready to plug and play on day one and Kendrick and Smith fill those needs.

Welcome to change.

• Options

One thimg we must all understand is the game has changed. Not because of the transfer portal alone. A lot freshman do not get redshirted llike in the past nor wait their turn. Only a few will. Kids today are expecting to play once they hit campus, maybe because of the star ratings or media exposure. Therefore, they are not going to stay around. They will look for other places to play. You can look at Kirby recruiting classes and see how many are staying around. How can one have top five recruiting classes and does not make the college playoffs? It is because the continuity of those recruiting classes are not there. They are leaving for playing time and their dream of playing in the NFL. I think Kirby and his staff needs to work on a recruitment plan to keep guys there. I guess that guy across the border in Alabama got that figured out. The majority of his players stay around and plus they are winning championship, which keep them around also. If Kirby can win us a championship through the portal...I am all for it. If he don't, then way explore it.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I apologize in advance as my comment is some what off topic. But I sure hope and pray that George Pickens can get back to 100% health and that as soon as possible. Pickens is just an absolute thrill to watch !! He is an electrifying player to see going up and snagging balls that would be missed completely by other really good receivers. Now some selfishness on my part, and probably wishful thinking as well, I hope George will come back for the 2022 campaign. I could be wrong, sure wouldn’t be the first time, but I think a full season of play from George with him at total good game ready health with either Beck or Vandergriff tossing the ball to him in 2022 would dramatically increase his draft stock. Even if he gets back late This year and into post season play and has an outstanding level of play, his injury will cause question marks with NFL teams. If he did get back like that and did have great games he’d probably go pretty high, but not nearly as high as if he could have a whole season and post season with a dynamic QB tossing him the ball. I just wonder would he be afraid to risk getting hurt again at the college level ? I sure couldn’t blame him a bit if he felt that way. He might decide at the end of 21/22 that a bird in hand is better than the one in the bush. Forgive my selfishness GP but I sure Love seeing you playing as a Georgia Dawg !! Get fully healthy and soon, you Are missed !!

• Options

I agree. I hope Pickens gets healthy for the upcoming season because I think if Kirby let the offense do what they do...it can become a air show.