Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN on Georgia’s recent transfer additions: ‘No more excuses’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageESPN on Georgia’s recent transfer additions: ‘No more excuses’

Georgia football's additions of Arik Gilbert, Derion Kendrick and Tykee Smith have gotten the attention of the national media.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mean, I guess I see what he's saying, but the framing raises the obvious questions - who at Georgia has been making excuses, and what were they? I have a hard time picturing Smart doing that, same for his coordinators, assistants and players.

Also, if that's true about Rittenberg's own power ranking, then it's a glaring inconsistency. It makes no sense to say that Georgia should be expected to win a championship within a time frame in which they're NOT expected to be among the group that gets invited to play for a championship.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No more excuses or what? Do we run Kirby out of town, scrap everything and hire a winner? Who qualifies as this winner? There are five active Head Coaches who have one titles in the last 20 years (Saban, Dabo, Jimbo, Mack Brown, and Coach O). Kirby has come closest to any coach to breaking into the winner's circle than any active coach.

Give Kirby time.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No more excuses? We're we supposed to win the NC last year? Beat that BAMA team that ran the table with 5 or 6 1st round draft picks including a 1st round QB when we started a walk on, basically? Beat the LSU team the year before that many pundits called the greatest team ever? What does that mean exactly, no more excuses?

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

No one but fans make excuses. Sometimes the media provides speculation on why a team struggles--maybe ESPN is talking about the media's excuses for UGA? All I know is I've never heard Kirby or any players making excuses.

ESPN just wants to build pressure to hype games. If we don't win it all this year, I guess ESPN will be done with us and talk us down until we do win. They do it every year after a loss for us. Any team who lets such garbage from outside bother them will most likely never win a championship.

When Georgia wins the East, we usually have to face Alabama. Which other team can claim should a difficult path to the playoffs? If we happen to beat Alabama in the SECC, we could very well face them again in the playoffs. Our conference is a slugfest all season. Few other conferences play as physical and as good a group as in the SEC. Given all this--Georgia NEVER makes excuses. ESPN can stuff their stewpid proclamations.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The reward for building the program to where it is is that yakking reporters can make such proclamations. I’m pretty sure Bama and other teams are also putting a lot of effort into the derailing Kirby’s work. Pretty sure they are trying to win it all too.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

Aw, quit complaining Dawg fans. The writer is correct, there are no more reasons (excuses) for UGA not to win it all. We should have won it all in 2018. No Jamie Newman quitting during fall practice. No lack of skilled receivers. No regression by our quarterback (hopefully) as happened during the 2019 season. And stop with this, "we win the East and have to play Alabama in the SEC Championship" nonsense. We lost to LSU, too. We just need to win. Period. Paragraph. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Georgia has the roster, both now and in the immediate future, to return to the CFP. If the Bulldogs’ four-decade national-title drought doesn’t end in the next three years, their fans should be massively disappointed.”

I can't say I disagree with this part of the statement. And if we don't at least MAKE the playoffs THIS season then I will be massively disappointed as well. On paper, we SHOULD beat Clemson now, but even if we lose that game we should waltz into the SEC Championship game with relative ease. And if SEC teams Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M can beat Bama then I think we can do the same considering what Saban has to do to re-fortify his program this year.

The gauntlet has been thrown...can the Dawgs answer?

I honestly think Oklahoma is the dark horse for the Natty this season. They have their best shot in years in 2021.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Getting to the CFP and winning the National Championship are 2 completely different things. Ask Notre Dame or Oklahoma. No excuses? How about Alabama and Nick Saban? Last I saw they were still recruiting #1 classes. 8-9 in the last 11(?) years? Still a smart bet to take Alabama over the field EVERY year until Saban retires. I would put a healthy UGA team up against anybody this year but Alabama will still be the favorite.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"No more excuses". What? When has anyone in the program made excuses for not winning a Championship? I've never read anything from the Coaches and Players (the people who actually perform on the field) that remotely resembled an excuse for not winning. I long ago soured on National writers. Isn't it amazing how people who don't actually play can make the biggest, boldest, proclamations about the outcome of a game and in this case , Rittenberg has already proclaimed the fate of the next 3 seasons. Wow!!!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"No more excuses". I don't have excuses to give if, UGA doesn't win it all this season. I only have expectations. I expect them to win every week and if they accomplish that feat, then the title will be theirs to hoist and hold it high. Every Dawg fan though has had plenty of crow to eat since 1980, just wait until next year has been our signature year after year. Hopefully this year will be the year, but if not then this fan will not give excuses, but will expect the Dawgs to win it all soon. I have been a Bulldog fan since 1956 when I turned 8 years old, and will be a fan until the day I close my eyes for the last time. Go Dawgs!