Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia hires USC national championship track and field coach Caryl Smith Gilbert

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia hires USC national championship track and field coach Caryl Smith Gilbert

ATHENS — Georgia has announced the hiring of Caryl Smith Gilbert as its new track & field head coach less than 90 minutes after announcing it had parted ways with Petros Kyprianou.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'd rather Brooks have found a way to keep Kyprianou and commit to an overdue facilities upgrade. The job he did with the facilities we have was nothing short of outstanding, similar to what Bauerle did recruiting top athletes to train and compete in Stegeman pool. At least Brooks hired a winning coach with multiple team natties on her resume. Impressive. Good luck Coach Gilbert!

• Options
    DestinDawgDestinDawg Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now do softball. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

She will do well with the women's team but I doubt with the men's. I am a former track and field participant HS and some college. I wish her well, of course, but have my reservations. Should have tried to keep Kyprianou. Things were getting better for UGA with Petros. He was getting some top sprinters. I hope we do not lose our best sprinters....? Hopefully they are in this to get an education and UGA diploma as well. Few migrate to the professional level unless among the very elite. What was also troubling is that Gilbert said she is glad they hired a "woman of color." I will leave it there. Charged remark. IMO. Time will let us know the truth. Give me all the thumbs down you want. This is how I feel.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

So I guess Georgia men are just less receptive to a female coach? Is that your point? She seems to have done pretty well with the USC mens team...

• Options
    rtparkerivrtparkeriv Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is a huge hire. She has a proven track record, having just won a women's championship and a 5th place men's finish. Georgia had great years in both men's and women's, but she beat them both. Yes, for a "woman of color" to be hired to coach track at a school like Georgia is something very notable. She can build on the momentum Petros created. I suspect Brooks and Morehead had to make some commitment on facilities to convince her to come beyond the new locker rooms and coaches' offices.

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

I came to the comment section because I wondered if there would be some "old school era" UGA fan comments about this hire and lo and behold, I was correct. At least there is only 1 or 2 which I guess can be seen as progress.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My remarks were more directed at saving Petros. Granted Gilbert has a good "track" record. Petros had really meshed with the team and had groomed them into something of a tour de force in the SEC. I was only hoping Brooks would be able to salvage him over the facilities objections. I know Matthew Boling was recruited by a host of teams and Petros won him over. I hope Matthew rolls with the new hire. He and Petros are very close. Hopefully, by now, Boling is a true Dawg. That is just my opinion and this is what these comments are....opinion. I said before, I wish Gilbert well. Time will tell us the truth.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think this was an outstanding hire, Go Dawgs!