Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Which is more important, winning a national title or consistency?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageWhich is more important, winning a national title or consistency?

Clearly, college football is going through a period of major transformation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I skipped the article after reading the ridiculous headline question. How could consistency be more important than achieving the team’s goal? Winning a natty is the team’s goal, correct?

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I did the same. I might go back and read it but first was curious what kinds of comments there might be about it. I mean, wasn't this question answered resoundingly in December 2015?

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There's no such thing as "either-or" if you want them both. We Dawgs want them both, Natty's and and excellence in everything we do!!! Go Dawgs!!!

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Silly article at best. If memory serves me correctly most, no not all, but most teams maintain consistency after winning a Natty due to the uptick in recruiting. Of course, this is all contingent on the coaching staff doing their jobs and keep working their butts off on the recruiting trail. Go Dawgs!

• SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2021

I want Georgia to consistently win titles. Once the dam breaks, the water will flow.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No reason UGA can't win a title and be a consistent playoff contender. CKS has already raised the level of the program and put it on par with any in the country. The Bulldogs will keep knocking on the championship door until they kick it in. Saban will be gone from AL within 4 years. UGA will beat Bama before Saban leaves. Probably this year.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

Interesting article Bill. It made me think for sure.

On the first question I would vote for one Natty and mediocre the rest of the time over the next decade. I mean, we haven't won the Natty in over 40 years, so to guarantee ONE National Championship over the next 10 years is not the most ideal thing but pretty decent. And on the 2nd question I would go with option #2 - whatever happens, happens over the next 20 years. We could and should win another NC.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute. I go back to a previous article that discussed our recruiting success as it relates to the Blue Chip Ratio. In 2021, Bama has a BC ratio of 84%. Dawgs are on their heels in 2nd place at 80%. My belief is that we may be at the pinnacle/apex of Kirby's recruiting days. SO, we'd better take advantage of that talent and our coaching staff to make hay while the sun shines over the next couple of seasons. Reasoning? As more competition for elite talent heats up between schools with NIL legislation and the free wheeling, ever changing transfer portal, Kirby will be fighting harder for every recruit he gets from now on. His job just got tougher from a recruiting standpoint. So again, I do say, we're at the apex of our recruiting right now. I just don't see us getting much if any better.

Can we win a National Championship with a lower BC rating? Sure, Clemson has done it and so has OSU. But, I would argue that getting into the 4-team playoff since its inception has been a bit easier for the likes of Clemson and even Ohio State than it has been for Georgia. Wouldn't you agree? Now once we get to the 12-team playoff then I agree that Georgia should be in it every single year unless something crazy happens with Kirby and the program. But, just getting to a 12-team playoff is the easier part. Making it through the additional gauntlet of elite competition and more games is where it gets really hard.

A final note...I think BC ratio will become even more important as the playoffs expand to 12-teams. You're going to need elite talent DEPTH on your team in order to survive the playoff gauntlet. So, recruiting top talent AND being able to retain them is going to be even more important going forward. Again, can Kirby keep recruiting AND retaining at the high level he has been doing for the next decade?

• DeppDawgDeppDawg Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

False choice.

If you're one of the top handful of programs in the nation and you win a national title, especially in a playoff field of 12, Choice #2 -- being mediocre every other year -- is just silly. When has that happened and how likely is it to happen to UGA? The question for UGA is, with all the talent they've got and the purported "heir" to Saban running the program, can they WIN a natty at all? Top 10 might be the occasional mountaintop for Northwestern, but not for UGA.

Speaking of Golf (weren't we), U.S. Open just completed, Louis Oosthuizen (S. Africa), finished 2nd. Over the past 10 years in the U.S. Open, he has finished of T9th, T2nd, T7th, 3rd, and 2nd. Quite consistent. Want to ask him if he'd trade them for winning one? Phil Michelson? U.S. Open runner-up SIX times. Would he trade them to win it? What do you think?

It's a dumb survey. I'd like to be a consistently excellent program and one that can win a championship when the opportunity presents itself (yeah, 2nd and a long way, but we don't bring that up).

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Ga_fan1969Ga_fan1969 Posts: 34 ✭ Freshman

It would be wonderful for the dawgs to win a N C. But regardless the sun will still come up the next day. Ga and our big rivals are not National power teams. Ga and auburn have won 2 championships both. Fl has won 3. Bama on the other hand has won more since nick has been there. Once ga is able to win another I know the pressure will be off KS and hopefully he will win multiple titles!!

• CMacDAWGCMacDAWG Posts: 15 ✭ Freshman

Not

not sure why a program can’t have both ??!! Seems to work for Alabama, Ohio State & Clemsux

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent discussion, Bill.

Kirby will win multiple national championships. Consistency will pay off. Stacking layers of talent will pay off. His growth as a coach will pay off. The man is Driven.

Go, Dawgs!

• BoogieDownDawgsBoogieDownDawgs Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

As someone that wasn't around in 1980, I've seen the Dawgs be consistent. I want to see a NC.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Imagine someone writing this article over at a BAMA website as if you had to choose between being consistently good and winning the NC. They would be laughed at. But it seems like at UGA the choice is: win a Natty or just be talked about every year as a team with a chance. We've had the latter for a few years now. Just a false dichotomy. We don't have to settle for either or. To even think like that shows a mindset that needs changing desperately.

• BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was a Freshman during the fall of 1980. It was not only an exciting year, it was a magical time in Athens.. from 1980-1984 the Dawgs played in two national title games & with a break or two, could have played in 2-3 more. Point is winning breeds winning & titles. Bama, Clemson, & even LSU, UF & Ohio State have proven that. If you need more evidence, just look at the fortunes of these teams after their most recent title: 98 Vols, 01 Canes, 04 Trojans, 05 Longhorns, 2010 Aburn Tigers. I've my waited 40 years for the next title suffering thru far too many mediocre seasons & unexplainable losses. It's time to totally support Smart in building a roster, the facilities and a campus that is second to none. Consistency will bring the titles.

• DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 480 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My choice was NOT an option, but here it is: We want BOTH. We want multiple Nattys, and to be a consistant top contender year after year. Likewise, we want The Georgia BullDawgs football program to become the new Division #1 dynasty over the next several decades.

Go DAWGS!

• dawg4lyfedawg4lyfe Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

We've been consistent for 20 years.... this is a pretty simple answer. The goal is the NATTY. It is for every "contender". Most contenders are pretty consistent. You may have cinderella stories here and there, but UGA has never been in that slipper. We are consistently just out of reach every year and it is extremely frustrating!!! haha But to get back on point, the Natty is more important. This is a no-brainer.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was a year ahead of you, I was class of 1982. Those were exciting times in Athens Ga, in my biased opinion it was as good as it gets.

To answer the OP, I'll take a title and worry about consistency later. Without a title consistency means consistently falling short of our goals.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Let’s face it, Smart was hired to do what Mark Richt couldn’t do after his first few seasons: win championships. And, with 1980 fading ever farther back into the mists of time, that needs to include a national championship."

Bill saved the best for last...that about sums it up.