Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart releases official statement on Darnell Washington, Tykee Smith injuries

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart releases official statement on Darnell Washington, Tykee Smith injuries

Following multiple reports that tight end Darnell Washington and defensive back Tykee Smith are both expected to miss the season-opener against Clemson, Georgia head coach Kirby Smart released a statement.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

Well….

first off, happy for these young men to have an excellent prognosis.

secondly….. man it’d be real nice to have a timeline in order to taper expectations.

thirdly… any news or changes to Gilbert’s status

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"These young men will walk normally again." Prognosis: Excellent!

I don't blame Kirby for the degree of misinformation given the competitive advantage injury detail provides opponents....but you're a fool if you believe any positive info or updates provided directly or indirectly by Kirby with respect to injured or "unavailable" players.

Like it or not, you're not ever going to get accurate injury information from Kirby....he's just not going to provide it for public consumption. FWIW, Blaylock is day-to-day, Gilbert is day-to-day, Pickens is day-to-day, Kimber is day-to-day.....we're ALL day-to-day. If they're not practicing, they're not playing. And skilled players with broken feet aren't practicing.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looking for more silver lining, Brini did catch my eye in the Peach Bowl. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As I said in a prior post earlier this week, with UGA it is ALWAYS SOMETHING!

What are the odds that two starters would get a broken foot? Seriously, if the pros can have training camps without tackling, why can't the colleges do it, too. These kids don't get hurt in the scrimmages, they're getting hurt in practice. And @Vetdawg, do not look for Gilbert to play for UGA this season, or any season.

And this is how championship dreams die!

• Options
    Hedges27Hedges27 Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

Looks like they will both be game time decisions. If they can't play sounds like Fitzpatrick, Bowers, Brini and Lassiter are the next man up. Too much talent this team to have any excuse vs Clemson or anyone else. Unbothered!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

There's a silver lining to all this. If we are able to beat Clemson - or even just give them a tough game - in the face of all these setbacks, the situation could turn on its head. The following few weeks will feature relatively easy opponents, giving more backups precious reps that they might not have otherwise gotten in a relatively comfortable environment while the would-be starters heal up. By the time we're a third of the way through the season, and those starters return and their backups presumably ahead of schedule in their development and confidence, this team will be even more formidable than what Clemson had to deal with. What started out as a detrimental situation could morph into a strength. Of course, this is assuming we "show up" against them, which I believe we will.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta wonder who will be next. Could it be practicing in the heat that is slowing reactions promoting injury? Brini impressed against Cinn. These guys that don't see the value and opportunity being on the 2 or even 3 deep are being very short sighted. Go to practice, get better, plug away and find a role. Gilbert missing a golden opportunity to explode into the national spotlight against Clemson.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I generally see what you are saying, but I don't know about that characterization of Gilbert's situation. All signs seem to be pointing to some mental health issue. I find it impossible to believe that he just doesn't feel like putting in the time.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

should we just forfeit now or do we figure it out and play the game.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure what the Gilbert story is but have seen it reported in multiple places that Gilbert wasn't getting enough reps at WR (in his eyes) and had words with CKS and was excused from practice. IF that is true THEN he is missing a huge opportunity. At UGA you have to earn everything. Gilbert will if he just puts in the work.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let's just take a deep breath and relax boys. It is going to be OK. Maybe tougher but OK.

• Options
    swimalumdawgswimalumdawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

I totally agree with what E Roc stated on Aug 18th their will be a silver lining to all this, and opportunities galore for others to shine and come forward.