Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia QB Stetson Bennett expected to start against UAB barring late lineup change

Comments

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

Are we trying to run Carson off?

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Guys, l know I’ll get battered on this comment, but I remember Stetson coming into the first game last year and bailing us out when D’Wan flamed-out. I also remember him giving us the lead at halftime in Tuscaloosa against one of the greatest Bama teams in history…..until our defense faded into the sunset. He also gave us a 2 TD lead against Florida and was totally lighting the lizards up until he was injured. I’m having a real tough time understanding why you guys don’t like Stetson. Also, if it upsets you that Stetson (3-star) is playing ahead of 4-star and 5-star players then we need to bench Jordan Davis because he was rated lower than Stetson. Let’s all relax, let the emotions go and trust the coaches on this one. Go Dawgs!!!

• SrvtecejSrvtecej Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Love the Dawgs but we will never truly contend for championships with this kind of thinking. Kirby may be a great recruiter but he has shown little ability to develop players and get the most out of them (offense). Stetson has no business starting at this point. Love his effort and intensity but UGA has to be putting NFL caliber players out there like Alabama or they will always lag behind.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you for posting this. It gives me some hope that Griffith might just be hacking it up here. Fingers crossed.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

All week the consensus has been let JT start, build a comfortable lead and then let Beck take over.

Now JT is going to set this game out but could play if needed. It appears Bennett might start.

The one thing Kirby does not want to do is let UAB hang around. If he does this, then this game could get very messy very quickly. This is what happened to OU vs Tulane. OU failed to put Tulane away and as the game progressed they believed they could win. Tulane came up short on a fourth down. Who knows what the outcome would have been had they converted. The one for sure was OU was on its heels.

The results for OU as it relates to the playoffs has been as bad as Clemson’s loss.

I see no difference in the overall plan. The difference is let Bennett build a comfortable lead and then let Beck take over. It would be nice if the first two possessions resulted in touchdowns.

Yes, I know all about Beck’s confidence, etc. At the same time, I would rather have Beck come in in a less pressure packed situation and be successful. Just remember last year with Mathis. He started, looked awful, pulled and never really regained his confidence.

I think Kirby is trying to protect Beck.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stetson Bennett is a "capable" quarterback and way better than I would ever hope to be. He is smart, he is experienced and he is stable.

What is not is a major college starting quarterback. This week is a game against what is perceived to be a lesser opponent. Next week is not the same situation. Now, while I am not the coach at a major college I do figure I am pretty well versed in the game just as is any real fan of the game, but it seems to me that this is a perfect week to get that real game experience for a young QB. Stetson Bennet is not the future of the program and, nice a guy as he may be, has zero chance of leading the team next year as he will be gone. This is a prime opportunity to get real game experience when it is available.

If JT starts, Beck should come in relief if needed. If Beck starts, give him time and if he struggles, sure, bring in Bennett but this should be the week to allow early game struggles, not next week.

If this is a true story it is a terrible decision and the kind that would make me transfer as I have been lied to for 6 months.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

I understand what you are thinking, but I don't compare Mathis and Beck in the same way. I also think Mathis hung around for so long that he lost his edge and confidence before he ever stepped on the game field that day.

Saban would put Beck in, and I trust Saban to do what he needs to do to win and get the guy the playing time he deserves...especially after Beck is named the #2 this week. You either believe in Beck or you don't. And if you don't believe in Beck, then you don't name him the #2. Start Beck and if he really struggles against a good UAB defense, then you put in Stetson.

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

Awesome news! This website went down on news once Seth and chip left!

• leebonnerleebonner Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

You have lost your mind - this story is a farce and you should be ashamed of posting it.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

OK, y'all. Tell me what, besides Mike's headline, says Stetson starts? Kirby said nothing about who starts, but DEFINITELY said Beck is #2. Said Bennett has a bunch of banked reps. Practices are closed to media. No roster released. Mike, you can't go stirring up a hornets nest, like this, unless you got some evidence. My bet is Beck starts with a vanilla play book. But he is given a very short chain. Look for RB's to have a good day.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Whatever it takes to get a comfortable win. There’s too much riding on every game to worry about what the players think about coaching decisions. UAB is too experienced and too well coached to be taken lightly. That being said, the only way they will be able to hang with the Dawg’s talent is turnovers and if that means starting Stetson until we get a comfortable lead, so be it.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Totally lit up Florida? He had the one nice pass to MRJ, and aside from that he was 4-15 for 46 yards. The two-touchdown lead started out with a 75-yard touchdown from White on the first play from scrimmage.

His two second-half interceptions and 45% completion rate didn't do the defense any favors against Bama.

And there was the Kentucky performance. Again, one long completion but otherwise 85 yards, 2 picks and 0 touchdowns.

I don't want this to turn into some bashing session of Bennett himself. He steadied the team when they were out of options. The thing is, THAT'S his role. He's not going to be the guy who leads this team to a championship. The Florida and Alabama games last year made that abundantly clear. Yeah, he came in and helped a struggling offense against Arkansas last year. So why not look to him for that again, should it become necessary?

Man I'm really hoping this is just irresponsible reporting.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BEck to start? OK that should ease some of your worried minds. JUst hope he does well, I don't want to see Stetson to the rescue again as in the Arkansas game. "Everybody has a plan til they get hit in the mouth", someone once famously said.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike, you should work for MSNBC.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MontanaDawg your comment about Saban is not accurate. You may want to review the Bama USC game to see how he manages the quarterback position.as it pertains to bringing quarterbacks along.

What your comment says to me is you trust Saban and not Kirby.

You are right about one thing, Saban will do whatever he can to win the game. He will also sort things out later. His position this week is Bama has played only one half of football. He was not happy about the second half of the U game nor how practice was going.

Kirby on the other hand has been all over the place about the quarterback situation for this game. So is it surprising that JT is not going to play,? Is it surprising that Beck is QB2 but Bennett might start? With Kirby, I would not be surprised if Vandergriff started.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bah. Look, we ALL respect the talent and drive and balls-out philosophy that Bennett has and I'd have no qualms about putting him in a situation when you need a change and need someone who can reliably pass... HOWEVER, a win isn't enough today. We need Beck to get enough playing time to ensure he doesn't consider transferring as well as making sure that Vandagriff "feels the love".

Beck needs to be shown that he is the #2 without question.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Somebody put one over on Mike Griffin. The smart play is to play Beck. UGA can win with either QB so why not get Beck some valuable experience. UGA w/SBIV cannot win the SEC. We saw that last year. Hopefully this isn't CKS trying to avoid a 1 vs 2 QB controversy a la Fromm/Fields. Surprised Mike Griffin isn't calling for Kendell Milton to start at QB.