Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: First quarter explosion keys 62-0 win over Vanderbilt

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football report card: First quarter explosion keys 62-0 win over Vanderbilt

Georgia football had every right to run the score up on Vanderbilt on Saturday after the Commodores canceled out on playing the Bulldogs last season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA better turn those Bs into As next weekend. Arkansas will be looking for Georgia blo*od. They too will cram the box against the run. But Sam knows Georgia better than most anyone. He will be ready and probably set up a drop-back zone against the pass as well. UGA has the trained horses to get this done IF they do not squander a second quarter as they did today. You cannot do that against a team as good as Ark and hope to win big. UGA will win...yes...they are far better than A&M. By how much depends on UGA.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some definite coaching head scratchers. Running a dive play with your smallest RB on 4th and 1 inside the 5 is questionable. Running a roll out to the left with SBIV on 3rd down is a head scratcher. Gotta wonder sometimes what the thinking is.

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Arkansas is more of a running threat than a passing threat, playing into our strength. So Dawgs should be fine against Arkansas.

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

I've said it the last three games, it's a mystery to me, that this O-line can do such a great job pass blocking and crap out on run blocking. It's now obvious Clemson was not as good as advertised and UGA couldn't score an offensive TD on them, so I just hope they don't listen to the " Rat Poison " this week and pay attention to detail. Go Dawgs !!!

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Most of our key future opponents (Arkansas, Auburn, UK, FLA) run similar, run oriented, dual threat QB type of offense. If we do well next week, it bodes well for the rest of the regular season. If not, it's going to be difficult down the stretch.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If our offensive line is more athletic as Kirby says, shouldn’t we have more pulling linemen to give us numbers at the point of attack on the outside? All I have noticed so far is most all straight ahead blocking.

• Options
    HBTD80HBTD80 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

I understand not running it up and sportsmanship, but I don't understand why our younger, inexperienced players and the good of our future team aren't figured into the equation, let alone our fanbase.

There are only 12 games a year, so precious few live game minutes. These kids work their butts off for a chance to play. So, how do they feel when minutes and minutes of a game are wasted by running down the play clock, and when a play is run it's plan vanilla and geared to certainly not be impactful.

How does this build our team and make it better?

If they can't stop fourth string and walk-ons, who's fault is that?

How much of a reward is it for traveling to the game as fans - and staying to the end (Kirby) - if that is what you are treated to?

Wasted opportunity to reward and develop players. Wasted opportunity to get better and deeper as a team.

But, we didn't hurt their feelings.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

I've said it before, saying it again: Jalen Carter is nasty.

Next prediction and call: Trez Marshall will be the next Roquan - meaning, late bloomer that becomes a program star. Maybe the most unnoticed recruit in CKS' time and playing behind the deepest part of the roster. Good luck, young man!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2021

This isn't so much complaining (although I wanted more points for last year) as it is wondering. I get that our longest run by a RB is 23 yards but if the line of scrimmage had been on our own 20 it would have been 80 yards. You can't get more yards than are available.

But my biggest thing is the use of the backs. I hate that we don't see the same guy (or even 2 guys) in for a string of three plays. We switch out so much that no single back gets up to speed. I'm not a coach but I gotta believe that takes away individual momentum. Pick a man and let him play. Surely they aren't ALL the same.

And I know that Smart is the head coach at the University of Georgia and not beyond but he is doing his RBs no favors in the eyes of next level teams. We will never be RBU again if we don't let someone play.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Would have liked to see Brock get some snaps. Perhaps JT manages the trouncing that was the first quarter, Bennett gets Q2, Beck gets Q3, and Vandergriff gets Q4. If the back-ups are given the most pedestrian of plays to run, I'm not sure how much "development" is going on there... but at least they get some basic, foundational game experience. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Dawg01Dawg01 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was there...

Georgia did not run the score up. They scored 35 points in the first quarter and then scored another 27 over three quarters. That is not running the score up.

QB1 didn't play three quarters of the game. By early 3rd quarter there were very few 1's on the field and by mid 3rd quarter it was almost all 2's and 3's and by the time you got to the 4th quarter it was 3's and 4's and 5's in most positions.

Vanderbilt is a very-very bad football team. No clue as to how they beat Colorado State and hung with Stanford for a half. Georgia could have hung 100 on this team.