Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart talks Georgia-Florida quarterbacks: JT Daniels and Stetson Bennett both prepared

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart talks Georgia-Florida quarterbacks: JT Daniels and Stetson Bennett both prepared

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart says he hasn’t seen any limitations from quarterback JT Daniels this week in practice.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As is the case every year for Georgia-Florida, this game is going to have all the hype possible up until game time. But when they strap up the helmets, this game is going to be won in the trenches with tough, hard nose defense and an offensive line road grading Florida’s defensive line. We have depth and better athletes. All this, and a coach named Kirby Smart, who demands and expects excellence, is what will have the Dawgs on top at the final tick on the clock. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am Not saying I wish this off on the young man. But it seems possible if not probable that Beck might hit the transfer portal and might even go to UF as that would be close to his home. Again and I stress I’m not wishing for that to happen . I Really hope he’ll elect to stay and battle it out with VG and Stockton. But my very ample gut tells me he might leave for greener pastures. I could easily imagine that when JT went out with injuries, over the course of time he probably saw himself being a pretty much lock for the #2 man this year, which would have in turn gave him an edge toward being the #1 man next year. Though I’m sure he understands that would not be an automatic given regarding next year. Assuming and it is indeed an assumption because of the added year of eligibility that JT and Stets do in fact leave (one or even both could decide to stay) it would be a three man race next year. As a mere fan I’m just very thankful for the options that should be available at the QB position next year. ALL of them are pretty dawg gone good, it’s a good problem for KS to have. ****I hope I’m wrong about Beck and very well could be.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think JT will leave with any decent NFL grade. He's to injury prone to risk another season. Wouldn't shock me if Stetson stuck around. I mean, does he really have anywhere to go? He loves playing football but I don't see him getting drafted. I'm sure all of this plays in to Becks decision. He has to make the choice that is right for him. Assuming Florida would be one of his choices, I think he would face the same thing there. Jones a redshirt Junior and Richardson a red shirt Freshman. He would actually be better off staying at Georgia and battle. However, Florida State may be a different issue for him. If he leaves I would look for him to land at UCF, USF, Miami or Auburn.

• Options

Agree. IF Beck did choose to leave FSU and/or Miami would be much better than UF. Maybe he’ll stay and compete for the slot .

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@navydawg, I agree with you that Beck might transfer. I'm not in agreement with you that I hope he stays. At this point, I think both he and UGA would be better off if he left. The fact that he wasn't ready to take over for JT when he was initially injured after CKS said, point blank, that he was the number 2 QB speaks volumes. The fact that while JT has been out all of this time, Beck clearly didn't make a case for any sort of relevant playing time, speaks even louder. And now, today, Kirby said it again, out loud: “Carson Beck is taking less reps this week because JT is taking more reps,” he said. “(It’s) the combination of Stetson and JT, to get them both prepared, because they are our two quarterbacks right now.”

There you have it. Beck has clearly regressed (or stood still, either way, he hasn't progressed) and I think a change of scenery would benefit all. Plus, Kirby said something very early in the year indicating that Beck had not been 100 percent committed to his academics. Something tells me that while he's improved in that area, he's not where he should be.

So, either Bennett or Daniels will be back next year (probably Bennett), along with Vandagriff and Stockton (who is likely to do just what BV did this year). I think BV is the starter (because he has more talent) with Bennett backing him up and playing a lot, with one of our many walkons serving as the emergency 3rd-string QB to preserve Stockton's redshirt status because if you're playing your #3, your season is likely toast anyway.

• Options
    edited October 2021

More than apt your right. I just feel bad that things haven’t panned out for him at least so far at UGA. I remember he was a hard recruiting voice for UGA. But like you said and I agree he Has to do the work on and off the field to make it happen. Beating out competitors is on him. I’m very, very, pleased at least for now that we have VG and Stockton irrespective of what JT and Stets do for now. Now Coach Em up and let’s see what they can do. Both of them have all appearances and potential of being super good QBs. Let me ask a What If question though and get your opinion ( and anyone else that cares to chime in) if either Stets or JT or both were to stay would that cause VG or Stockton to jump ship on us ?? I sure wouldn’t want to lose either of those guys looking at the future of the program.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"very ample gut". Haha, love it. I have one of those too.

I've given up on saying it, but yeah, I think Beck has gotten a tough deal this year. We gave Mathis a real shot and let him start and fail, but with Beck? He's only played in 2 GAMES (even with out shutouts and solid wins), no starts and only 13 total pass attempts.

And heck, remember how much crap Smart got for not giving Fields enough playing time as a Freshman? Fields played in 12 games and got 39 attempted passes. Vandagriff has gotten ZERO snaps.

I have to believe that this is intentional by Smart and he's forcing Beck out. It's not out of the question to suggest that Daniels might even possibly return next year if he doesn't have enough passes to show he's ready for the NFL.

• Options

Wait, you guys mention Bennett coming back next year, but he's not eligible to do so, correct?

He was a walk on in 2017 with us (so Redshirt I presume), played at Juco in 2018 (Year 1) and then 2019, 2020 and 2021 with us.

As far as I'm aware, he's gone after this year and if Daniels goes draft and Beck transfers then we will have fresh faces at QB...

• Options

As far as I'm aware, Bennett is in his last year of eligibility with us and so if Daniels leaves and Beck transfers then that'll leave ONLY Vandagriff and Gunner. If JT doesn't play enough to finish the year, however, he might be back and that could force Vandagriff to re-evaluate. Keep in mind Vandagriff has had ZERO snaps with us. Even Fields got to play in 12 games his Freshman year with us.

• Options
    edited October 2021

Thanks for the feedback on this. I will readily confess I’m parroting things I’ve read about Stets eligibility. And will also readily state that I don’t understand it or really know if it’s correct. But IF it’s correct I’ve read people saying he has another year due to COVID essentially erasing 2020 ?! Is that valid ?? I apologize to everyone for posting “Might Be” instead of hard fact info. So let’s take Stets out of the picture regarding next year for the sake of conversation. JT will have a tough call to make. Stay and try to increase his NFL stock value. Or due to the possibility of serious injuries, Leave and try to impress the scouts at the Pro Scouting Camps. His college tape at this juncture is Very limited. So just saying What If he came back for another year would VG & Stockton both probably stay ?? If that were to happen in my humble opinion they’d be foolish to leave. But let’s face it young players are chaffing to show their stuff, especially at the QB position. Back to my magic ample gut lol, if that were to happen I think they both would stay. Beck in the other hand might leave end of season regardless of what happens. P.S. I sure hope that Kirby will get VG in the game vs Charleston Southern and again vs GT. The Dawgs should totally dominate in both those games so I would think there would be plenty of time to bring in VG. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stockton isn't jumping ship, heck, he hasn't even gotten here yet. He loves UGA and he has several friends coming with him. Any top tier QB can't be dissuaded by competition. It's in all the best programs. To be the best you have to beat the best!

Now a player may decide to leave for greener pastures after having been somewhere and assessing the situation and not liking the fit, the system,, the coaches, or his teammates but that takes at least a year or so.

It's so hard to look at these HS kids and be able to look 2-3 years down the road, unless they are just generational talents, say a Trevor Lawrence or Deshaun Watson, did we even recruit him that hard?

If I was a betting man from all the tape I've seen on BV and GS, my money would be on GS. THat's not to root against BV, if he wins the job then so be it. I just think GS is one of those generational kind of guys. Take it from me. LOL!

• Options

Good comments. And puts me more at ease about the future of the program. I Would be Really surprised if either jumped ship Even if JT stayed. Both have raved about how they love UGA and Both have been strongly recruiting for UGA. I Do wish and hope that Kirby will give VG some time in those games I mentioned once the Dawgs are firmly ahead. And I mean Throwing the ball instead of Just hand offs. Any real game time VG can get this year will be better than none. I call him Thor with his long blonde locks !! 😀