Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia cornerback arrested on charges involving weapon, reckless conduct

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia cornerback arrested on charges involving weapon, reckless conduct

ATHENS — Georgia cornerback Nyland Green was arrested early on Wednesday morning and faces multiple charges, per the Athens-Clarke County jail booking recap.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just dumb. Kids gotta go. Cut out the cancer quick.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

There's so many things that I want to say at this moment, but unfortunately, none of them can be published in an online blog. So, I guess all I can say then is that I'm deeply disappointed in this player's actions. Young and stu*** are about the only other things to say.

An arrest or an injury...what's the news about the Dawgs going to be today? One or the other it seems...Geez...

• coachaaroncoachaaron Posts: 9 ✭✭ Sophomore

Another kid being dumb and trying his best to ruin his future…

• JudgeDog31JudgeDog31 Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Sounds like he has been overcharged to me. I would expect the charges to be reduced at some point, perhaps through a diversion program.

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If all this is about a BB gun and a broken window, or something like that, then it’s hardly earth shattering.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

So much depends on what actually happened. But it doesn't sound like anyone was hurt. At this point I wouldn't want to see him tossed aside; I don't think that would be best for him or UGA. As others have noted, it sounds like he was just doing something dumb. Does anyone remember back in Smart's first year, there were two guys who got in trouble for shooting bb guns in the dorm or something? If memory serves, those guys stayed on the team, and it's possible this is comparable to that. (I'm not sure what all the felony weapons charge entails, whether it would necessarily involve some serious action or if it could arise out of a technicality since it involves a school zone.) Green wasn't going to be contributing much to this year's team anyway. Use that extensive support staff to put him on some kind of probationary program, and see if he can come back from this and be a productive member of this team and society.

Of course, we're all going on very limited information here. I'm just saying let's not rush to condemnation.

Added: I don't know if it was an update in the article or if I just missed it the first time, but I wasn't aware of the bb gun detail when I made that comparison. Funny how that worked out.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That headline could've read "Georgia cornerback arrested on charges involving BB gun, reckless conduct" instead of the heart attack inducing headline it is now. Hoping it's not as bad as I first thought.

GO DAWGS!

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hard to make an intelligent comment with the limited details

• ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 178 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need (ME !!) to be careful not to over look the Numerous good and mature players on this Dawgs team. AND he is in fact supposed to be innocent until Proven guilty in a court of law. BUT and IF he is proven guilty my question is how **** can you get ?? I sure hope not as **** as I Was in my younger years. But I didn’t have a scholarship or Any hope of financial aid of Any kind to Any college less alone The University Of Georgia back in my day. Only folks who were fairly financially comfortable went to any college in my time, up that by several notches to attend UGA. So I think even as immature as I tended to be at times even **** Me could have found a way to act like I had a little sense with a scholarship to Georgia !! Man it would have been the dream of All dreams to suit up and play football at and for The University Of Georgia !! I don’t have the answers and solutions to these problems, I sure wish I did. But some where along the way we have or at least it seems to Me, lost our way. Lost our vision of what Should be. I might be part of the problem for all I know, but it’s sure a sad thing to see happening. Millions of people are about to celebrate our Thanksgiving. But it begs the question How Thankful are we Really ?? Or do we ( ME) take things for granted all To Often ?? Now days many, many people Demand as a Right, things that used to be a Privilege. Maybe that’s Why Stetson Bennett’s story has a positive effect on so many people. No it’s not about whether he’s a better QB than JT or vice versa in This particular context. It’s about a young man from Blackshear, Ga. striving so hard to make his dreams come true. Stetson Thankfully is just one example of Many positive, hard working, mature young men on this Dawgs team. One out of the Many I’m gonna sure miss is big Jordan Davis. What an Awesome human being in so Many Ways more than his size. I sure hope for this young man’s future he turns out not guilty Or much less than what he’s accused of. Go Dawgs !!

• traildawg51traildawg51 Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

Once again sensation grabbing headlines. Weapons charges for a BB gun is absurd. The world has gone crazy over charging on crimes. I remember being that age, I am 70 now, and some of the **** **** that I did and one time it involved a BB gun.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2021

Boy if these superb crime fighters came to my town, population 2,600, it would take them 5 years to rid the streets of these dangerous weapons lol. EVERYBODY has one! And this UGA athlete faces 2 felonies for toting a BB gun! Who’s making laws up there, brain dead women of The View?

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll say up front that I don't know Nyland Green or anything about him. All I know is what I've read and what I see of glimpses of him on TV after the game. But on two of those glimpses I saw of him, by the stuff he was doing after the game, I honestly thought to myself, "this is a kid who is really self-centered.." I can't give you a solid reason for that thought, but it's what went through my head. The charges don't sound like the worst thing ever, then again, why do ANYTHING that might even remotely bring you into contact with law enforcement? Thank God, he's not a frontline-player. Honestly, even though we're thin at the position, he's still not really a help. As thin as we are in the secondary, he's till managed to play in only 3 games -- all blowouts -- so hopefully this won't hurt the team. Go Dawgs!

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I just Now got that it was a BB gun !! I thought ( Wrongly on my part) that some of the comments were references to the guys who got in trouble before over using BB guns. This makes it all the more absurd on the part of law enforcement At Least at This point in time based on the information available. Back in my time in HS plenty of guys had Rifles and Shotguns in racks in their pickup trucks. Very clearly visible. IF there was a rule against them the school sure didn’t enforce it !! And I Know for a fact that was the same way at several other schools and not just in our county. I’ll be as honest as I know to be on this. All through my years in HS I don’t recall hearing or reading in the newspaper or seeing on local TV of one single shooting at Any HS in Georgia !! Yet all those firearms readily available. In fact I don’t recall anything like that in the entire southeastern part of the country !! NOT saying none happened but if they did I don’t recall them. The only school related shooting that my mind can pull up was the TA&M bell tower shooting which was Terrible !! It’s not and never will be an excuse, No !! But it turned out that guy had very deep mental health issues that no one picked up on or weren’t properly addressed. With all the Real shootings with Very dangerous firearms you’d think a BB gun would be at the bottom of law enforcement’s list. HOWEVER just as in My mind I’m giving this young man the benefit of doubt until ALL the details come out and clarification is established, law enforcement deserves the same consideration. We’ll get the full and clear story soon enough and Then we will all be better informed of Who was in the Right or Wrong on this situation, and to what extent.

• JudgeDog31JudgeDog31 Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Not great, but not career ending. At all. 1-2 games suspension. And probation.