Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart says he wants quicker decisions from Stetson Bennett, attacking offense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,468 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart says he wants quicker decisions from Stetson Bennett, attacking offense

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart is never satisfied, and in his mind that’s part of the process, seeking constant improvement at each turn.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I know Kirby wants Stetson to win the Burlsworth trophy, but if he is indecisive maybe Kirby needs someone who can throw it farther and straighter. In case Kirby has forgotten his name, it starts with JT.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It actually goes back further than the last 3 FBS opponents. As you said, we ended the first qtr scoring 7 on Tenn, 7 on Mizz,, but the 0 on FL, 0 on Kentucky and 3 on Auburn. I love the never satisfied until all accomplishments are achieved theory because the moment you become satisfied, that is when you flame out!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2021

Building on that, people on here talk about how Daniels faced mediocre competition but I would point out, the teams on this list are not very good, aside from possibly Kentucky. I know I'll get down votes from folks, and I like Bennett and think he has done a great job, but let's not kid ourselves. The competition hasn't exactly been world beaters.

That changes next week.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jordan Rogers did an extremely good break down on Bennett on the SEC Network's pregame show before last week's game. He pointed out open receivers on 5 of Bennett's runs over 5 games and connecting on those plays would make the offense more explosive. I am still astounded that Daniels is not the starter after recovering from injury considering reading defenses and getting the ball out fast and accurately is what he's good at. If that's what Bennett has to improve on, does that mean in spite of that, he's still the best QB on the roster? This is worse than Fromm and Fields to me because I never saw enough of Fields (high school production did not matter, Fromm had accomplished some things in college) to really question the decision to stick with Fromm UNTIL I saw Fields's first 4 games as a starter at Ohio State. We all know what the offense looks like with Daniels at the helm.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Tripp,

Some of what Coach Smart says is coach speak. If he's not satisfied with Bennett's decision making, then do something about it other than telling him and telling a reporter. Put Daniels back in there, the kid who was QB1 from the last 5 games of 2020 and throughout all of the practices heading into 2021. Who among us thinks Bennett would be QB1 if Daniels had not gotten injured? Does anyone think we would not be 11-0 if Daniels was QB1?

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gosh, from the comments you'd think Kirby's job's in danger because he doesn't understand football and doesn't care about winning.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

People like you, and your tin foil hats, crack me up. You’re seriously suggesting Kirby cares more about Bennett winning an individual aware rather than doing what’s right to help the team win the ultimate team award?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why does UGA start so slowly nearly every game...not all ...then seem to get a break later to rev them up? Many other facets of Kirby's game are improving . Early domination seems to be key to UGA success because then Kirby can rotate "lesser" players and chop wood to end the day. Virtually no TDs in the 4th quarter of these games. I would like to see Brock V. get into a rhythm and show his stuff. It is a bit late in the season for that. Maybe a brief show tomorrow. JT will see action as UGA should close out the game in the first half.

I am looking ahead to Bama....you know Saban is scheming and burning the mid-night oil to dethrone UGA. His famous come -from -behind "adjustments" have scuttled UGA nearly every time so far. UGA WRs must be at peak performance next weekend. The run game will be held somewhat in check again. The defense will hold off Bama's offense...except for deep throws. Saban will work on UGA's defensive backs...with lots of RPOs and end arounds.....then perimeter bombs to try and keep UGA off balance. Watch his games. He mixes up the plays petty well but is weak on defense. Unranked teams have scored against Bama. They could easily have had two losses, maybe three. UGA should dominate them....this time. I am hopeful Stetson does not get rattled. He will need to be accurate and deliver the mail quickly. I also believe Stets will have ample opportunity to run the ball, which he does very well. I firmly believe UGA's got this one.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I Believe Kirby Smart knows what he’s doing and which players to play and when to play them. The only edge Bama might have This year is a psychological one. Look at Their schedule and some of the teams They struggled against. Winning a National Title is a Team effort. All three components are called on the get the win. Offense, Defense, Special Teams. If the Defense wins it for Dawg Nation more so than the Offense the record books will show it as a Win, and I’ll be One Sure Nuff Happy Dawgs fan !! I’d have the Same happiness if Special Teams won if more so than the Offense or Defense. And the same if it’s the Offense that carries the Win. Next season will take care of the things of its self. ALL I’m concerned and care about This season and post season is seeing Kirby Smart holding that National Title Trophy high for all to see. Which he IS gonna do. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So much of our slow starts in past games has been due to trying to first establish the run up the middle, OK,that's not working, let's try around the end, OK that's a little better but not great, OK let's just throw it. Ah success!

Now that of course is somewhat exaggerated but lets all face the fact that we are a passing team that when we pass well we are successful to some degree of running it. But we do not run with success to open up the passing.

Name one game(other than CS) where we just came out running the ball in a dominant fashion, it doesn't happen.

I sure hope we have something better up our sleeves against BAMA if we get on the goal line than just pound it up the middle. It could work of course but I remain skeptical of our O-Line's ability to move people off the ball. CS almost stopped JD twice in a row. BAMA has a little bit better personnel.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There’s truth in what you’ve said here. BUT we’ve been missing Kenny Mac for several games either all together or he wasn’t his usual self. Plus missing Kendal Milton altogether for quite a while now. Each one of our RBs do have a some what unique style of running. Some similarities but enough difference that they each bring good things to the table. It would appear that Kenny Mac is now at full go. Maybe by the time we get to the SECCG we will have Kendall back closer though he might still not be quite 100%. Seems he had the more severe injury. But to finally get to my point. If the Dawgs have Four of our Five RBs up and fully ready they can keep rotating them in and out as they so desire. And I think that will be Allot of help. I sure hope. But I agree with you that our O line are gonna have to have the games of their lives in these final games ( Not the GT game). Kirby will do what’s best I’m confident. But I don’t think I’d play Kendall at all vs GT. And I’d also get the starting O line out as soon as possible. I also think that in these final games we’re gonna see some plays we’ve not seen all year and/or plays that were used early in the season very limited. Not trick plays but designed developed in practice plays that were kept back for the post season. Dawgs have only trailed in score one time this year so there’s been no need to dig deeper into the playbook. Also I’m hoping that Auburn ( they should) will give Bama a much tougher game than GT will our Dawgs. Though Bama won the Arkansas made Em work pretty hard while the Dawgs coasted vs CS. Maybe a bit of fatigue will set in on the Tide as the game goes on. Getting Dom Blaylock back is good. Now if we can get George Pickens back. I have no delusions that beating Bama will be an easy task. No. But their human. They bleed. Kirby and the Dawgs stay focused and keep their eyes on the prize they Can win this game and I believe they Will win this time !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am sick of the crybaby BS, so I'm using the "Ignore" feature. I can now read comments from the serious Dawg fans. It's easy to do.

If I were Monken, I would throw the ball to Bowers early, and make Bama double cover him, then let Burton, McConkey, Blalock, and Darnell beat their single coverage for big strikes.

We can't do it on 3rd and 10, though, or Anderson will kill us. Especially if Salyer is still out. We've got to go for some of those plays on 1st or 2nd downs.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Try JT coach.....

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think JT should get in as soon as we have a good lead and let him get as many throws under his belt as possible. Receivers need the work too. Dom, KEaris, all the back-ups. Get our starters out early! If any of our startring recevers play in the 2nd half that's foolish IMO. GIve all the RB's a few carries each and use this game to our advantage. By the 4th quarter the walk-ons should be playing.