Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC legend Tim Tebow: Georgia needs ‘elite quarterback play to get over the hump’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,549 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageSEC legend Tim Tebow: Georgia needs ‘elite quarterback play to get over the hump’

ATLANTA — Former Florida Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow said Georgia is going to need something “special” to bounce back from the SEC Championship Game loss.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Meh.

From Aaron Murray, an assessment with which I agree:

“If I had to rank them in order of what cost Georgia the game against Alabama, it would be d-line (first). No pressure at all. You should have dominated. There’s no reason why Auburn and LSU and all these other teams can put pressure on Bryce Young but the best defensive line in America couldn’t sniff him. D-line, issue No. 1. Second issue: DBs. Out of position over and over and over again. Double-coverage guys, and give credit, Williams has elite speed, he has world-class speed, he ran through double-teams left and right, but still there was an issue with the secondary that was glaring throughout the ball game. But I still think the defensive line, if you’re able to get pressure, you don’t give the quarterback that much time to throw the ball down the field.

“Third issue: receivers. Besides (Brock) Bowers, if you watch the coach’s tape, no one is open. No one. The biggest plays they had were screen plays, easy hitters that then they could run because of great blocking. They could not get open down the field.

“Stetson played great in the first half, and then the second half… The first interception you could blame him, the tight end kinda stopped running, a little bit both. The second interception I’ll put on Stetson. But Stetson was not the main reason why Georgia lost the football game. There were plenty of other issues that need to be corrected against Alabama if they’re gonna wanna beat them in a second opportunity if they do make it to a national championship.”

• Options
    Sarge63Sarge63 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

What is KSMART going to do with the QBs that sign sit them until when they get playing time to see or try different ones when GA up to see but no stay with one til they get hurt then he see how difficult it can be on a young man you sign the best best in the last three cycles do you think the are going to stay just to be on the headset NO NO and you KSMART you can’t believe they well you wouldn’t I wouldn’t and no else would so why waste you time and there’s this isn’t the NFL it’s the best football to watch on TV bar none let the players play or don’t sign them we want the BEST QB TO PLAY AND ALL GAsFANS DO TOO SO CHANGE YOU MIDE SET OR YOU WILL NOT BEAT Elite players and teams YOU SAID IT YOU SELF SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO IF YOU KSMART WANTS TO BE ELITE THEN BE ELITE AND LEAD BY EXAMPLE JUST DONT TALK THE WALK,TALK THE WALK ITS ON NOBODY BE YOU,you are so smart about football it my have something with your last name SMART PLEASE ACT LIKE YOUR NAME AND BE ELITE WE ARE WITH KNOW BUT THE QUESTION IS FOR HOW LONG DEPENDS ON YOU N O T US COME ON MAN I KNOW THIS YEAR ALL MOST OVER PASS FOR YOU #2 so what’s years to come the same ole same ole at QB IF SO YOU WILL NOT BE ELITE SO DONT PREACH TO PLAYERS ABOUT ELITE TIL YOU BE CONE ELITE DO ASK SOMEONE TO DO SOMETHING THAT YOU NOT WILLING TO DO YOUR SELK JUST LOOK IN THE MIRROR We are with you are you with US

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tebow is right.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The world saw that Bennett was over his head against Alabama. He has also been over his head against lesser teams, but his receivers made him look better than he is by making spectacular catches. But Kirby is going to play his love child regardless of the consequences, because he's got "good legs" and "grit". I'd rather see a quarterback with a great arm who is smart enough to exploit what the defense gives us. We don't have a quarterback controversy at Georgia; we have a coaching controversy. Its not that Kirby doesn't grade quarterbacks well, he shows every week that he can't, because he has a blindness that overtakes him when it comes to evaluating anyone over his lovechild. This blindness will cost us a National Championship when it was ours to win or to lose. Wait until Dec. 31.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My Q is how does UGA step up with a slower secondary? Kelee Ringo gets beat... a lot for one. Bama's fly boy cruised by UGA DBs and secondary....this kid has Aaron Smith speed. UGA will have to get to Young or repeat last game. Also, we are getting ahead of ourselves if we believe Michigan will not directly target UGA's weak secondary. However, I believe UGA can get to their pocket QB and thwart another massacre, yet MI has a very solid D line, so UGA scoring at will may provide a challenge for Bennett.....again. Bennett gets rattled when he cannot spot designated receivers.....Tebow is right there. He needs to make snap judgements and was often wrong anti-Bama...Kirby admitted it in his presser. UGA has to protect him....forgive me...but he is not elite...UGA must better adapt to his strengths. He is no Heisman finalist like Young. You cannot force Bennett in tight situations, like third and long. .or pass inside the red zone..unless he can run it himself out of the pocket. There was a wide gulf between Young and Bennett...hopefully Bennett is more suited against a team like Michigan. I see a very close game.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am firmly in the camp of” if we knew all of the information we would have started Stetson as well.”

Timmy is correct here. Heck, our coach even said it, you’re elite or you’re not.

those are our only options here and we are going to find out what we are made of in the weeks ahead. Everyone from the front office to the equipment managers have a bad taste in their mouth. Its time to figure out whether we bounce back or fade into oblivion and mediocrity.

go dawgs!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wonder if he would trust mike Bobo to help him qb coach?

heard his schedule may have cleared up recently. And before anyone talks bad about BoBo. The dude can coach a qb. Has a great history of doing so.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey Kirby: If you want to watch "RUDY" on repeat, it's available on Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

BTW, Mike Griffith is out there on an island. Let's all support the dude who's willing to challenge the "dawg-ma."

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I posit this… if Bryce Young’s twin had been Georgia’s QB, the Dawgs still would have lost last Saturday. The defensive front has to bring pressure and get sacks, you can not have frequent blown coverages and receivers running free, our receivers have to gain separation. It does not matter who plays QB in such circumstances… you can’t beat elite teams with a poor performance by the entire team.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2021

Tebow is 100% right. Bennett was showing his frustration with his body language and especially those arm gestures. we lost the 3rd down conversions by 2 with Alabama converting 7 of 14 to our 3 of 12, we lost the red zone point conversions with Alabama converting 3 0f 3 while we were 3 of 5. We turned the ball over twice with Alabama committing 0. we were sacked 3 times to Bama's 0.

Although the stats were fairly close like

Time of Possession GA 34:13 AL 25:47

Total 1st downs GA 30 AL 25

Total Yards GA 449 AL 536

Penalty yards GA 6-46 AL 7-85

Stetson completed 60% of his passes for 340 yds with 3 TD's and 2 Int's

Young completed 59% for 421 yds with 3 TD's and no INT's

My key takeaways as to our loss:

Lack of pressure giving Young to long, Lack of conditioning on the defensive front, blown coverage, and multiple poor decisions on passes leading to 2 int's and should have been 4, also lack of red zone points.

Kirby, Lanning and Muschamp must figure out how come they couldn't get pressure on Young and what can they change to reverse that. Also, why the blown coverages and what adjustments/changes have to be made.

Offensively we need to run the ball a little better and not give up sacks, we have to convert all red zone visits in to points and we have to win turnover battle.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tebow speaks alot of truth here - the bottom line is we will need to game plan much better against Michigan and then our rematch against Bama. I saw too many things that should have been corrected in game that were not. I am surprised that our defense did so poorly with 3 defensive minds on the sidelines watching (Kirby, Muschamp, Lanning). Now, that I think about that, it's pretty stunning.

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby Wake up and stop being so stubborn!

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

MG the statement that JT ”…was the preseason favorite to win the Heisman Trophy before being limited…” is a bit of a stretch. According to the Caesar’s sportbook in Aug, JT was fourth at 12-1 odds. Not real close to favorite. Facts please though I guess “a little exaggeration” makes for a better story or supports a position.

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby you are blowing it, and fans need to let you know it.

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why are our receivers so terrible the last couple of years??? Great recruiting terrible coaching

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nah we would have won. COnvert the red zone opportunities and take away the pick 6 we probably win by 1 point.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw recivers open not sure what Murray was seeing. Cook was open when we needed 3, Burton open several times, Pickens open and makes a tough catch that shouldn't have been. Stetson can't hit anyone in stride. Lets say we score instead both times instead of the 2 picks . Have to take 7 from Bama for the pick 6. We win 38 to 34.