Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett: ‘I’m going to play football this year — we’ll see where’

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s earned the right to Compete for the starting position as All the players at All the positions do starting with spring practice ever since Kirby has been HC. I think Stets will understand and appreciate that.

• Options
    edited January 2022

It seems to me there are several trolls on here trying really hard to crank up a controversy where there’s not one at this juncture. Kirby Smart is not gonna guarantee Any player Anything. That’s just not Kirby. On the other hand Stetson Bennett is not S t u p I d He knows that if he does come back he will have to compete for the job just like the rest of the QBs. Kirby Smart and Coach Monken saw Something that made them decide to go with Stets over JT and that really, really sticks in the craw of some Head Coach wannabe fans Or are they in reality simply trolls ? Could be the latter trying to stir up discontent after one of the greatest wins in Dawgs history. At any rate I trust that Kirby Smart Not fans will make the right decisions. And those times when he’s wrong I’m confident he will fix. All I Know is that the Dawgs won the National Title it’s a done deal and for those that don’t like it Tough !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Oh and about the Bama had injuries stuff. Well the Dawgs had a Scroll of Injuries all season !! Starting the very first games !! And countless times in years past Dawgs had injuries, tons of em right before key games in many cases. So what is Dawg Nation supposed to apologize to Bama because they had injuries ? That’s just an effort by trolls disguised as fans to delegitimize the Dawgs WIN !! Not our fault that Bama didn’t have their young backups properly prepared that’s on Them. No Stetson Bennett certainly didn’t win it all by himself he had Allot of help. That’s what a TEAM is supposed to do. But he played a By Far better game and Did His Part in both the Orange Bowl and The National Title game. Dawgs Won and Stetson Bennett a former Walk On was the QB !! I know that stinks for some trolls but it is what it is !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Amen Brother !! Amen !!! I trust Both Kirby and Stets to do what’s right for themselves and more importantly the football program. Both dearly Love UGA. And Both understand what Sacrifice means. Something allot of people in today’s society Dont understand !! YOU certainly Do understand it !! It’s All gonna work out. And the Dawgs will be hotly competing to be in the playoffs Again !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    edited January 2022

Love Coach Monken but if he does leave that would be So Cool if Bono came in !! And all Three are or have been HCs like you said !! That would be a tremendous trio for sure !! Plus Both Bobo and Muschamps Sons will be at UGA !!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You mean the same Mike Bobo who has underwhelmed in his last three coaching positions? No thanks. Especially when someone like Joe Brady is available.

• Options
    BearddawgBearddawg Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

I suspect Bennett's comment about trusting the coaches decisions is about the possibility of Dawgs possibly bringing in a high profile QB transfer (Caleb Williams?) or he's waiting to see if Monken leaves and who the new offensive coordinator will be. It can't be him asking for a guarantee. He is a smart young man. He knows Kirby would not give anyone a guarantee. Lastly, thank you Stetson for your skill, leadership, fortitude, and dedication. You have earned the right to make whatever decision is best for you!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A day later and the ultimatium still rubs me the wrong way. Bennett: you have NO right to even remotely question the coaching staff... it's the other 3 QBs in the room that should be saying those words, because they DO need to be able to trust that they will get a shot. You got your shot, plus played in blowouts where backup QBs should've been in.

I REALLY appreciate what Bennett has done for us this year, but as everyone else says... GO OUT ON TOP. Go play in arena football or something. Don't ruin your legacy by having a sub-par season next year and/or sitting on the bench.

Lets face the hard truth here. Nobody is really worried if he decides to enter the Transfer Portal. If he transfers to an SEC school, the odds aren't changing for anything. If JT transfers to a school like Florida, we're in real trouble. If Vandagriff transfers to an SEC school, we're in trouble.

I love you Bennett, but if it came down to having Bennett or Fields on your team, which would you choose?

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still would like to know why we don't have a DEDICATED QB COACH anymore. I have to feel like this is a control-thing for Smart and he doesn't want to be told that a Daniels or Vandagriff are now ready to take over vs his choice of QB.

• Options
    Dawg4lyfDawg4lyf Posts: 21 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2022

When all is said and done, we had a former 4th string walk-on starting at QB for most of the year. His stats put him near the top of several categories for QBs and helped us stay high in overall offensive categories. People spouted every excuse in the world as to why he was not worthy and after one bad game against Alabama, he was thrown to the wolves by a lot of fans and media. The typical comment all year was that UGA could NOT win a national championship with Bennett as the starting QB. His response: He was the Offensive MVP of the semifinals and National Championship game as UGA won the title with Bennett as the starting QB.

What really stood out to me about Stetson's play against Alabama was something small but I thought significant...when he scrambled, he did not throw into traffic - he threw it away. The bad INTs he had previously did not happen because he did not force a bad situation. He got rid of it safely and moved to the next play. That was a huge maturity jump for his game, in my opinion.

Kirby deserves a lot of credit and apologies. He stuck to his guns with Bennett at QB, a punishing run game and defense when many people, including a lot of UGA fans, said you can't win with those. I guess we know why he is the coach on Saturday and we are sitting on the couch eating pizza. He had 95% of my trust before this year...I'm sorry I doubted at all and he now has 100%.

These were two extremely talented teams and everyone should have known it was going to be a combination of little things that settled the game. Everyone has injuries and has to have the "Next Man Up" ready at all times. 2nd string may not have been as good as Williams - that is why he was 2nd string. But the 4th quarter belonged UGA in this game and I feel Williams would not have changed that.

Excuses are what a sore loser needs to justify their loss. Winners let the results on the field justify their position.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Bennett every day of the week and twice on Sunday! Bennett was not a quitter and was willing to compete to win the starter’s role and led his team to almost 40 points per game and a national championship!

Field was not willing to compete, wanted the starter’s role handed to him as an entitlement, and won nothing more than a B1G title in a weak as water Big 10.

Kirk, you just can’t let it go, can you? What a miserable fan you are!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby told everyone JT was the starter moving forward after the Cincy game. So no, Kirby does sometimes declare someone to be the starter.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have mentkioned this GMAC interview in several comments. Finally, Mike Carvell chose to make it a story. Stet made it known he will play but not where. Kirby will have a lot to do with his decision. I am hearing, let him go...Brock V. is coming on fast...quick study. I really do not know what Stet will choose to do but may God go with him wherever he lands.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone think JF wasn't the starter after his freshman year in CKS's mind?