Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Explosive Georgia WR Jermaine Burton enters transfer portal

2»

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

I may be wrong on this, but JT has had the opportunity to play in about 54 games between UGA and USC……and he’s played around 16 games due to 4 different injuries. Now he’s off to his 3rd school after losing his position to a walk-on at UGA and the 85th ranked QB at USC. I’m tired of all these folks who are constantly tearing down a true winner and thinking Kirby doesn’t have a clue as to what he is doing. I’m absolutely certain Bennett is tougher and a far better leader….thus our NC.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No one bashed Bennet but the truth is he averaged throwing less than 20 times per game. Now that’s not all his fault, i’m Sure he would throw it 40 times if Kirby let him. And Kirby does shut down the passing game in the 4th quarter.So it’s mostly his offensive philosophy which was good enough to win the Natty.but not good for the primo receivers coming to UGA.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

One point I haven’t seen posted is that Jermaine lost his position coach (Cortez) last week and that may have upset the ole apple cart. Burton may come back if we get one of the dream coaches many fans want.

• Options
    MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

With Stetson's decision to return, I understand and support Jermaine's decision to leave-though I hate to see him go.

Like Mike Griffith points out, Stetson only throws about 15-20 passes a game on average, and most of those to Brock Bowers and very few passes to wide receivers downfield outside the numbers. With Stetson at QB, Jermaine and the other wide receivers don't get many targets or catch opportunities.

I would much rather see Stetson leave and Jermaine stay. Jermaine is an elite receiver, and Stetson has no elite QB qualities.

At least Jermaine got a "Natty" out of being at UGA, and they can't take that away from him.

He will likely go to an elite offensive team and show out. I just hope he doesn't go to another SEC team on UGAs schedule next season.

• Options
    sfalexansfalexan Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

Shame to see Burton go. He has the makings of a real star.

Any word on Monken? It would be great to see him open up the offense like he did in the first half of Michigan. Guys like Burton make that possible.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If I was a player reading these comments, I'd never consider UGA. You people are nuts. A little over a week removed from winning it all and you idiots have all the answers. Helpful Clue (which may be useful in other aspects of your life) YOU DON'T! That's why the coaches get the big money. Let them do their job. Kirby has played for two and now won his first National Championship in six years of being a head coach. If he listened to you clowns, he'd be nowhere. Go support another team since you seem to live and breathe by what teenagers want to do with their life. Unbelievable.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 370 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This hurts. Burton is a very good receiver.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 370 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not sure it’s wise to hire a WR coach who said he supports Burton’s decision to transfer. 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dang.

Nothing else to say about it, really.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fans are not "bashing" Bennett. But common sense just has to make a REASONABLE question ask, "why would Jermaine Burton, an almost certain starter, leave the program now, after spending two years in it and winning a National Championship?" If Stetson Bennett is truly that good, wouldn't it be REASONABLE that Burton would want to hang around for what would (likely) be his final year and catch passes from an all-time great? The fact that he's apparently decided not to do that, speaks volumes. I do not think Burton is crazy, so something else has to be at work. I like Bennett and if we don't win a Natty next year, I'll still be over the moon. But that doesn't mean we can't have realistic discussions about his abilities. Go Dawgs!