Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jermaine Burton, Mecole Hardman speak out on transfer from Georgia to Alabama

13»

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, I can understand him transferring as odds are that Bennett will be our starter and will target TEs a lot. That being said, Alabama can be a risky choice. I haven't kept up with their Roster changes, but just looking at the 2021 commits and they have the 2nd, 5th and 6th best WR recruits. Saban has no loyalty and you could be sitting on the bench pretty easily.

Obviously, I'm as hurt as anybody, but based on how Smart is going to do the Offense you might as well find superstar TEs. Bowers was a 4 star Freshman - not a bad start for him! Also keep in mind that when you look at the stats, it's certainly not the end of the world. I know, he was EXPECTED to be huge, but you never know. McConkey got within 50 yards of him as did Mitchell. 

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You didn't read very carefully. He said Bama had four receivers taken in the first round in the last two drafts. Metchie, Williams, and Bolden have not even been drafted, yet.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I get it. Ruggs, Jeudy, Waddle and Smith. You will probably be able to add 2 more to that list after the 2022 draft.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The 2021 Dawg National Champions were a group that put the TEAM first. If a player cannot do that, he should be elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how the Burton career goes forward.

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

First off, Jermaine was hurt and not 100% but for a few games. 2nd, you have to expect any team to find mismatches and try to capitalize on those mismatches. Bama's wide receivers were a mismatch for defenders, so Bama tried to exploit the mismatches with them. GA's TE, Brock Bowers, was a mismatch for oposing defenses, so GA tried to capitalize on that mismatch. Both teams used their mismatches effectively. You can't expect GA to not try and exploit the mismatches of their TE for the sake of some receiver's selfishness. I could see him transferring if he wasn't getting playing time. But he had his fair share of playing time and balls thrown to him. He only cares about his career and nothing else. The success of the team was not his priority....and he could care less about the career of anyone else on his team. That, to me, is selfishness. At this point, I'm not going to wish him good luck at all. Do what you gotta do guy. We now know your true color.

• Options

UGA has a very talented reciever Corp with the 2 speedy Smith's, Adonai Mitchell, Marcus Rosemey-Jacksaint, Ladd McConkey, Kearns Jackson and Dom Blalock, just to mention the group off the top of my head.

Then you have the TE group; Brock Bowers, Darnell Washington, Oscar Delp and Arik Gilbert. That's the #1 and #3 rated Tight Ends in the Country. UGA would be insane, not to utilize that kind of talent creatively.

No matter who takes snaps at QB, the targets are going to be all over the field and they can block, which is more important than a lot of people seem to understand. UGA's success in the running game allowed for success in the passing game, especially in the 2nd half of the CFPC. Alabama's lack of success in the running game had a negative impact on their passing game in the CFPC. Unlike the SECC game, they were forced to pass 57 times, resulting in multiple sacks, QB pressures and 2 INTs. UGA had similar results in the SECC when they were unable to move the ball effectively on the ground and were forced to pass.

You can't live by the pass, alone. Not in the SEC, where defensive fronts are dynamic and powerful. Saban will swing further back to the run after this year. A balanced attack is always preferred along with a stout defense. That's the championship formula. It may not be flashy, but, it's effective.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Burton is old news now. He’s no longer a Dawg so he is no longer of interest to to me. I’m interested A.Smith, Jack saint, Blalock, A.Mitchell, McConkey, Jackson, Bowers, Washington and my curiosity is really elevated about who is going to be the next great contributing receiver next year that we are not talking about right now, and about Gilbert and his possible return, and about who will Kirby hire as the receivers coach. I would really love to get Terrance Edwards first choice or Hines Ward second choice. Both have expressed a strong desire to coach receivers at Georgia.

• Options

I believe CJ Smith is going to work his way into the lineup next year and prove to be very hard to cover, with his track speed...similar to Arian Smith.

My two cents on WR Coach would be Hines Ward. I'm not sure about Edwards. Edwards was the personal WR Coach of Justin Robinson, Jermaine Burton and Arik Gilbert. I'd have to evaluate the influence he had over those 3 kids (if any) and their life choices (i.e., character). That may not even be an issue; however, being on the outside, looking in, that would be my concern with Edwards.