Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Nick Saban blames his players for UGA loss

13»

Comments

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I must admit that when I initially saw the headline, I thought it was going to just be clickbait. That the writer was going to twist Saban's words into some sort of overblown blame-game. Alas, I was wrong. Saban not only threw those players under the bus, he got in and drove it right over them. I mean, if they plan to come back to Bama next year, I wonder how motivated they will be. Plus, how will their teammates view them the first time they make a mistake or blow a coverage or whatever. The knock on them will forever be that they're not as "engaged" in the team as they should be. Like some others here have said, I'm not a "fan" of Nick Saban, per se, but I would have never expected him to do this to his own players. It's sort of sad. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DId it ever occur to anybody that Kirby Smart was to Saban...what Erk Russell was to Dooley? He actually built BAMA's great defenses. It was only after Smart came to UGA, that Saban really started trying to open up their offenses and create this great, explosive passing game. The only problem with that philosophy is that,, if the QB or a couple of top notch receivers go down...your "TEAM" does too. LOL. Not a great business model.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe Saban did it, not to motivate those particular players, but, to motive every player on their team, to "be ready when your number is called or you will be yesterday's news". Not a bad tact to take, if the overall team attitude was lackadaisical and methodical. I've seen it work before...I've also seen it backfire. We'll see how this plays out next year.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

All I heard leading up to the game was that Alabama would win because they have the better coach and QB...not so sure now about the former.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saban got what was coming to him! You can't be on top forever!

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The mask slips! So much for "next man up". I guess I'm not much of an expert, but I always assumed that the coaches had a role in preparing the team to play.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

Actually seeing the video of this debacle by Saban is enough to clear one's sinuses. His inflection could not have done more to undermine his reputation. Very sad for him and for the history of college football.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Nick you had a Heisman QB. We had a guy who was told by our coaches they didn't ever see him starting at UGA. So, in a sense we beat you without a starting QB.

• Options
    Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Nick, we had guys that were out too and played with a make shift WR corp, comprised of 3 Freshmen. You win or lose with what you've got. **** it up Nick... you got beat.