Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart warns against Travon Walker comparisons for touted freshman Mykel Williams

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited March 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart warns against Travon Walker comparisons for touted freshman Mykel Williams

Kirby Smart pushed back against comparing Mykel Williams to Travon Walker.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know the Bulldogs have a lot of talented young players and I expect the defense to continue to be very good; however, last years' defense was GENERATIONAL! The level of talent, leadership and experience we saw last year may never be replicated. I expect Smart to continue to recruit at a high level but to have Wyatt and Davis and Walker and Tindall to hang around when they could have all left for the draft and talented leaders like Dean and Nolan Smith to be part of that is a confluence of events that I don't see happening again. Remember part of this was due to the extra year allowed because of the pandemic and the start of the NIL which allowed players to cash in while playing in college.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Walker was not draft eligible until this year. 2022-23 would have been his Senior year.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Exactly what makes Aidan Hutchinson better than Walker? Walker dropped into coverage a lot and Hutchinson rarely did. If Walker's primary job was to rush the passer as a defensive end, he would have had more sacks.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agreed as to the more sacks and to answer your first question--Nothing!

A. Hutchinson actually looks slow when compared to Travon. Not even close!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2022

I will never forget when Salyer knocked Hutchinson so far back off the line of scrimmage that Hutchinson took out another defender before he was deposited on the ground. Walker has a higher upside than Hutchinson. The play were Walker pressured the AL QB then raced down the field to make the tackle on the WR 25 yards down the field from behind was something that you very rarely see. As for freshmen, BBowers was a rarity. An anomaly. Anything UGA gets from freshman this year should be considered gravy. To expect more than minimal, isolated contributions is not realistic or probable. Don't count on any freshman lighting it up.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Everyone should keep their expectations low for all freshmen. Truth and reality is most all will just be getting their feet wet this year, for future seasons and virtually all will not be making any significant contributions that help the team win this season. If any do, it will be a great bonus. It is a rare player, other than a RB, MAYBE, that can come in and be the man or be the man part time in the SEC. That being said, with UGA's recruiting, we might have 1 or 2 a year that are freaks and have a chance to make some big noise, like Bowers just did. But we shouldn't bet on it and we certainly should not expect it. And yes it is terribly unfair to the guys just getting their feet wet to place ANY expectations on them year one. Look at what Arik Gilbert is going through. Let's not be part of the problem. Let's help that problem by not expecting anything year one.

Depending on the position and whose in front of who, maybe not until redshirt sophomore year 3.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most people come here to talk and to comment on the articles. Not sure why we're being blocked out. I hope Mike or Connor can address the issue.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree...but, it was actually Tindall that made the tackle on Young. I know, it's hard to keep up with the individual plays of so many great defenders. The best front 7 I've ever seen, bar none. And I've been an avid football fan and player since 1965.