Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart shares progress of Georgia quarterbacks Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff entering G-Day

SystemSystem Posts: 10,573 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart shares progress of Georgia quarterbacks Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff entering G-Day

ATHENS — Georgia fans will have the gift of football before them at Sanford Stadium on Saturday with the playing of the annual G-Day Game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Patch-working together another pre-G-Day story......I am ready for some action.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Who will be the big surprise tomorrow. Last year, a freshman named AD Mitchell, who lit it up. Tomorrow?

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m afraid you will have to wait until September 3 for real, game level, action. 😉

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tomorrow will still be fun to watch, though. More entertaining than tonight's USFL debut...I'll bet. LOL

@MikeGriffith ...excellent article. I also think that UGA's 2020 season was derailed when Bennett went down after the 2nd TD vs FLA. I really thought Daniels would come of the bench in relief. When Smart put Mathis in, I knew it was over. I still don't understand what difference 1 week made in Daniels' recovery. We may never know, but if Daniels relieved Bennett, rather than Mathis...UGA may have won the CFP in 2020.

I'd be interested in reading your take on the BAMA Spring Game tomorrow as well. I believe it's supposed to be televised, but, I can't find it anywhere.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amazing that Bennett only threw 4 passes in the 2021 G-Day scrimmage, but was named the MVP in both playoff games and finished with the #4 best QBR rating in the nation…..slightly behind the Heisman Trophy winner. It will be interesting to see how he performs next season after taking snaps with the 1st team offense for a change.

• Options

@MikeGriffith

BAMA announced an NIL Collective. Did their NIL Collective have anything to do with Jaylen Moody removing his name from the Transfer Portal and deciding to return to Alabama?

Moreover, does UGA have an NIL Collective. Either, in existence or in the works? In any form?

• Options

@MikeGriffith

LOL...Nevermind. I just watched an interview with Smart on the Finebaum Show and it sounds like, to me, Smart doesn't want a player motivated by NIL money alone, on his team. That's not the type of player he built his program around, or the culture he's built over the "last 2 years". He wants players committed to a standard, a school, a coach and the players around him. Makes sense to me, as long as you get the result he's gotten over the last 2 years. It might mean losing a 5 star, here or there...so be it.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." LOL

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 Yes, Georgia has a collective associated with the program -- Classic City Collective

• Options

@MikeGriffith

Thanks for the link. I'm sorry to say, I missed that article. I am particularly proud of the "DGD FUND", reported on. That being said...I know it's early in the game, but, how is the Collective performing to the below "mission statement" or "goal" (last paragraph). And, probably, more importantly...how are they performing with respect to the competition, i.e. Alabama, Texas A&M, etc..

How are the recently liberated athletes slipping through the cracks. Is it a lack of attention from the NIL Collective or a lack of interest from the athletes themselves? Such as Mims, etal.? OR...is it that they got better offers from outside the program? If the latter is the case, then UGA's better off without them.

The transparency on all of this is as clear as milk and in my experience, that leaves room for corruption. The lack of rules or oversight invites corruption.. College Football is at a precipice and it could go either way at this point. If these College players are truly Student-Athletes...what the hell are we "teaching" them?

NIL-Transfer Portal (intermediate Free-Agency) is a perversion of what used to be a clean competition between college athletes. It's like a poker player bottom dealing, stacking the deck or marking the cards. It may even be corrupting the High School game and that is truly disconcerting...to say the least.

Referenced Paragraph from previous article:

Per the official release on Classic City Collective, the goal for Georgia’s group is “to be the nation’s foremost supporter-funded NIL facilitation platform to position Georgia athletics and athletes from all 21 spots for sustained success.”