Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football quarterback Stetson Bennett after G-Day: ‘I’m going to be better than last year’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football quarterback Stetson Bennett after G-Day: ‘I’m going to be better than last year’

Georgia football quarterback Stetson Bennett vowed he would improve after Georgia's spring game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You couldn’t wipe the smile off of Carson’s face today!

• Options
    Jbayne1Jbayne1 Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

Stetson will definitely be the week 1 starter...but i wouldn't be surprised if he's benched before the season is over. I know its just the gday game, but bennett didnt look like he was anywhere near as skilled/talented as Beck. The lack of accuracy, poor decision making, and batted down balls were reminiscent of the past 2 years. With massive turnover on defense, dawgs are gonna need a QB that can WIN games. Not one that needs a legendary defense to ensure he doesn't lose them games.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stetson will definitely be the week 1 starter...but i wouldn't be surprised if he's benched before the season is over. I know its just the gday game, but bennett didnt look like he was anywhere near as skilled/talented as Beck. The lack of accuracy, poor decision making, and batted down balls were reminiscent of the past 2 years. With massive turnover on defense, dawgs are gonna need a QB that can WIN games. Not one that needs a legendary defense to ensure he doesn't lose them games.

Kinda glad you're not the coach.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know it was just the Spring game, but Stet didn't look any better to me yesterday than last season. 4 balls batted down, 2 interceptions, several near interceptions, and long balls floating in the air way too long...just like last season.

Fine, Stet is the starter. So be it. But I'm not convinced he will be by the end of the season.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm glad he's not the coach, also, but he is 100% correct.

You can't keep arguing that the best quarterback should play and then take a favorite that is not the best. If Bennett was the best last year, he should have played. If he is not this year, the the better QB plays, and yesterday, the evidence pointed to that being Beck.

Maybe that changes during the summer and no, we are not at every practice to see but yesterday it was clear who was the best QB on the field. Saying otherwise is doing exactly what you accuse everyone else of. Everything is not a knock on Bennett. It is, rather, a call for the best to be on the field. If that is Bennett, he has my full 100% support. He has that even if he isn't the best yet is on the field. He is a Dawg and he would be my quarterback. I can disagree but I will support him.

And let's not kid ourselves, Bennett had a horrible 3 quarters in the NC. The defense won that game and I did not believe Bennett was deserving of MVP.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess I was looking for demonstrable improvement and like you, didn’t see any difference from last year. While 1 interception was at the end of the half and didn’t really matter, it is the other missed throws, balls behind receives/RBs, floaters hanging in the air, etc. that causes concern. If the running game can’t produce and freeze LBs and safeties, they may have to go to another option and Beck and VDB both looked capable.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is practice and there are games. Most everyone looks great in practice, unless you're untalented. We have talented QB's at UGA. Saturday was not a game, it was a scrimmage. No QB's got hit. By now there are no real surprises as to what the defense is going to do, they weren't running stunts to get to the QB, it's just a matter of executing and doing what the play called for.

WHen the lights come on the BIg Stage, some people melt, some do OK, and some shine their brightest. We know what SB does in the big game; what little we saw of CB in a real game last year wasn't great, it wasn't even good. And it was not against BAMA or Clemson but against Charleston Southern or some weaker team(I forget) , and it was in the2nd half after we had beaten them down and he throws a pick six and doesn't make an effort to tackle the defender. NOt a great look.

That said, that was yesterday, and his future from what I saw Saturday looks brighter than ever. Do we hand him the job based on a good look in practice? Heck no!.

• Options
    corbinideascorbinideas Posts: 11 ✭✭ Sophomore

Y'all are mind lost and bored. Stetson will start and finish the year as QB1. I'd put $$$ on it.

• Options
    KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 81 ✭✭ Sophomore

With all the talent I saw on the field Saturday I think you could take most anybody that can throw a football and stick them in at quarterback and expect a pretty good show. The whole football team won the championship last year, regardless of all the quarterback turmoil.